Men's waxing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jojo@salongeek

Reaction score
I have a male client who has back & chest wax probs every 6 months, takes me such a long time as his hairs are very thick (almost like pubic hair) we have to have intervals because it hurts him so much! I use cream wax, use the same on other clients. He always gets spots after, I'm assuming this is follicilitis (pardon my spelling) is there a different kind of wax I can use? I always tell him to exfoliate & moisturise regularly.
He's rang to book an appointment, I really want him to get better results x

I wud use a plain honey wax. Still warm wax but a honey one. I use gigi all purpose wax. I find cream wax to sticky on mens hair and can tend to drag on the skin a bit. And u have to wonder how they get these lovely smelly cream waxes the colour and smell that they are?!?! Men have thicker hair therefore leaving a bigger hair follicle open after waxing so the plainer the wax the better. Xxx

Trim the hair down to a grade 2 (6mm) before waxing. Work in sections, always apply wax with hair growth and remove against. Make sure you stretch the skin tightly before removing the strip. For the chest ask the client to put their hand behind their head as this stretches the skin across the pectoral region. Then put it down to do over the top of the chest and shoulder.

If he gets spots after his treatment get some Outback Organics Post Way Spray - this is amazing! My clients love it and the results they get are better then anything else ... and because its a spray great for use on backs!

He keeps coming back so you can't be doing too much wrong!

Mat

Also use a pre-wax oil on the skin - makes it a lot easier.

Thanks for your advice peeps! Im a really confident waxer I just feel for him with the reaction he gets 1 to 2 weeks after. Will defo look into those products Mat :)

I only provide male waxing cliients and also find that a cream based wax works really for clients with thick coarse hair.

I never trim hair unless its really long and If I do I find a grade 3 is better as you can still get a good grip on the hair.

Does he have more of a problem on his chest than his back? The fact he only waxes twice a year does not help...

I recommend my clients that are prone to an outbreak after waxing use a tea tree based shower/skin wash and also a tea tree moisturiser these used with regular exfoliation usually makes a huge difference.

I retail a range of products that clients can purchase but I also recommend high street options and Holland and Barrett, Neals Yard and Body shop ( as well as boots, superdrug etc) all offer an excellent range of tea tree products that are just as good.

Jack

If he wants it to hurt less, he should either keep it trimmed or come in more often than every 6mths.

Use hot wax on the sensitive parts and strip wax on the rest. Make sure that you push the wax through the hair onto the skin. Really stretch the skin when you remove the wax.

A really hairy chest and abs should take no longer than 30 mins max.

The reaction is usually down the side if the body! Suppose where the skin is slightly more sensitive. Thanks Kim, I was thinking maybe hard wax would be better in this area! He has back & chest together & I bet it takes me 1hr & half.
Will defiantly take all your comments on thank you for your replies jojo cx

I always use a cream wax on back and chests as I feel that it is gentler on the skin.
Do you get him to bring a freshly laundered shirt to put on after waxing?
He really needs to come more often. I use non-strip and strip wax on really hairy backs and chests and I never trim hair either.
Hope his next appointment is better.

No I don't do the fresh shirt thing but that's defiantly a good idea. I don't trim first either, he usually keeps it trimmed anyway. He's coming to see me this week so we'll see how it goes! Thanks all for advice xx

I use my cartridge roller wax for large areas like this.

First area I start with is the middle line of the back.

Then work the whole of one side then the other.

Client to sit up while I do shoulders.

I try to do this as quickly as possible so the client hasn't got time to complain lol.

Oops, I am not suggesting that you are doing yours slowly!

xx

The reaction is usually down the side if the body! Suppose where the skin is slightly more sensitive. Thanks Kim, I was thinking maybe hard wax would be better in this area! He has back & chest together & I bet it takes me 1hr & half.
Will defiantly take all your comments on thank you for your replies jojo cx
Little tip for you. However long you allow yourself to wax…….that is how long it will take you.

Allow 45 mins next time for full chest, abs, full back and shoulder with it blended onto the arms as you can't leave a straight line :) Then you might get it down to 30 mins, depending on how hairy your client is.

I just think its maybe hard to assume it will take 30mins to do EVERY chest wax, taking into consideration hair type & size of the man. I always work to a time schedule, just this 1 man 'always' takes me longer. He's quite a well built man & extremely hairy. Will definitely look into the products advised!!
Thanks everyone x

Latest posts

Back