Message Board Lingo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms.Matrix

Tweetacular Geek!
Reaction score
I have been noticing that some of our geeky geeks have been asking what certain abbreviations on the board mean. Well wonder no more and fear no longer, about the little odd phrases and abbreviations you see around here, Ms. Matrix has come to your aid!! :lol: So no more :grr: trying to figure out "just what the heck is an IMO?" In this handy little article I will give you a crash course in Geeky "Netlingo." Don't worry this won't hurt a bit! :cool:

Although most of these are widely known and common throughout the internet I have made sure to include a few of our industry abbreviations as well, you will notice these abbreviations highlighted in RED.

For those who have teenagers at home who love to IM and chat I am in the process of adding the abbreviations for commonly used items found in teenage chatrooms. These additions will be noted in BLUE, other new additions to this dictionary are noted with an asterisk*

...and here we go...

A/S/L - Age/Sex/Location*
ATM - At The Moment
AKA - Also Known As
B2B - Business To Business*
B4 - Before
B/F - Boyfriend
BFF - Best Friend Forever*
BRB - Be Right Back*
BTW - By The Way
CIAO - Goodbye In Italian
CRC - client record card
CYA - See Ya
DH - Dear Husband
DIY - Do It Yourself
DS - Dear Sister
DW - Dear Wife
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
FAV/FAVE - Favorite
FYI - For Your Information
G/F - Girlfriend
HB - Hurry Back*
Hehe - A laugh or a giggle
HTH - Hope This Helps
IDK - I Don't Know*
IM - Instant Message
IMO - In My Opinion
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion or In My Honest Opinion
L&P - Liquid & Powder
LOL - Laugh out Loud or Lots of Laughter
LMAO - Laughing My Arse Off
M8TE - Mate
MMA - Methyl MethAcrylate
MWAH - The sound a kiss makes
NNO - Natural Nail Overlay
NSS - Non Standard Salon
NVQ - National Vocational Qualification
OMG - Oh My God

PITA - Pain In The Arse
PLZ - Please
PMSL - P*** Myself Laughing
PM - Private Message
POV - Point of View
POS - Parent Over Shoulder*
P&W - Pink & Whites
ROFL - Rolling on the floor Laughing
ROFLMAO - Rolling On the Floor Laughing My Azz Off
ROFLOLPIMP - Rolling On the Floor, Laughing Out Loud, Peeing In My Pants
SMH - Shaking My Head
THX - Thanks
TMI - Too Much Information
TTFN - Ta Ta For Now
TTYL - Talk To You Later
T2YL - Talk To You Later*
TY - Thank You
TYVM - Thank You Very Much
WTH - What The H*LL
WTF - What The F***
WTG - Way To Go
WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get
YW - Your Welcome
9 - Parent Watching*
99 - Parent No Longer Watching*

Thx 4 coming by my little article on netlingo, TTFN and I HTH!!

Last edited:
WTG..........I always thought we needed a dictionary.

There is also
IYKWIM=If you know what I mean
PMSL= P****** myself laughing

Lellipop said:
There is also
IYKWIM=If you know what I mean
PMSL= P****** myself laughing

Oh yeah, I forgot about PMSL!! I shall have to add that...and I never knew about IYKWIM...:rolleyes:

Way to go Ms Matrix!!!.........Oh sorry WTG.....I might know what they mean now but I still end up typing the whole d**n thing!!!

Brill - I always wanted to know what

ROFLMAO - Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Azz Off

but I didn't like asking and looking stupid ---- ah but I am daft :lol: just admitted to being stupid :eek:

Love Suggs xx

Snugglepuss said:
Brill - I always wanted to know what

ROFLMAO - Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Azz Off

but I didn't like asking and looking stupid ---- ah but I am daft :lol: just admitted to being stupid :eek:

Love Suggs xx
Glad to help my fellow geeks!!!!

Thanks for these i have saved them in favorites,so that i can use them online with chat less typing for me thanks.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At last

Fabuloso Matrix G/F - LILT (lOVE IT lONG tIME) XXXXX:hug:

Ms Matrix ... you are the bomb!!!!! Love ya.

I am so glad that it is useful. I almost started not to do it, because I didn't know how well it would be received....I'm glad the geeks like it!! :Love:

This is a fantastic Idea to post these..Now...:rolleyes: If you guys would list these sayings you have over in Europe that me the USAer has no flippin idea what they mean...lol :lol:
About all I know from chatting with a good friend in Sussex is Ta=thankyou and tata = goodbye. Throwing the toys out of the pram is pretty self explanatory.lol

If you give us a list of what you don't understand we will do our best to translate for you hun
HUN short for hunny, a nice way to refer to someone

This is a fantastic Idea to post these..Now...:rolleyes: If you guys would list these sayings you have over in Europe that me the USAer has no flippin idea what they mean...lol :lol:
About all I know from chatting with a good friend in Sussex is Ta=thankyou and tata = goodbye. Throwing the toys out of the pram is pretty self explanatory.lol
Don't worry hun, you'll catch on soon enough...It took me a while to get used to UK terminology too!! :lol: :hug: BTW...Welcome to the site, glad to have ya!!

I have added some new lingo to our little dictionary...Let me know what you think!!! :D

well done! Now us parents will know what in the heck our children are saying..:D

I have just printed your list off, as I to was baffled by some of the abbreviations, so tyvm :)

well done! Now us parents will know what in the heck our children are saying..:D
Glad you like it...I plan to keep adding to it!! :hug:

What does Bogof! Mean?????, Thanx.

Latest posts

Back