Message from new client asking for discount!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I've just received a facebook message from a new client, he asked for my prices and I told him £42/hour for freelance work and he has replied saying:

"I have just been offered massage through groupon for £30 an hour. If you can compete with that I will use you. I'm looking to get at least 1 session per week. Where in Edinburgh are you based?"

I've been in business for 6 years and only put my prices up once. The physio clinic I work in charge £47/hr, and this is the going rate where I live. I have a good, steady client base and receive calls and texts from new clients every month, and nobody has ever complained or asked me for this much of a discount before! Considering the amount of money I have spent training in remedial massage, then working for 5 years in a physio clinic, spending money going on extra courses here and there, gaining amazing experience, then theres my insurance, fuel cost, car, bed, towels, disposables, travel time to and from client. For once in my life I actually feel more valued than I ever used to and I'm not willing to do his massage for £30. I'm just not sure how to word this to him. I don't know who he is, I could offer him a block booking discount but there is no way that I can guarantee he will actually book in for all of the appointments, and I dont see him handing over money all at once for a block.

Any suggestions on what I can say without sounding negative?

Thanks geeks

I would sign post him back to your website for the prices, and as you are extremely busy are unable to offer discounts.
Wish him well with his groupon experience :)

Tell him to go fish.....

1. There's a good chance they are lying!
2. Just because someone might be willing to work for less, why should you.

I hate things like this. I think it's disrespectful to be honest. Your hourly rate covers your years of experience and qualifications but people don't think of it like that. I would never get something like that through Groupon.

The only thing like you said is offer him a discount for a block booking and yes of course he'd have to pay upfront and if he's saying he wants to book every week then he shouldn't have a problem doing that should he? :)

Just my opinion, sorry I can't be of much help!

Thank you for your recent enquiry, unfortunately I am in able to offer discount due to high demand for appointments. I am based in ***. Yours sincerely...

Or offer something like his 6th appointment half price, that way he's not getting discount until he is regular xXx

Thank you for your enquiry.

I am unable to offer any discounts, if you would still like to make an appointment with me I am happy to book you in.

If you feel unable to proceed I hope you enjoy your Groupon experience.

Kind regards

Thank you very much for your message.

Unfortunately, on this occasion, I am unable to match the Groupon offer you have found. I am sure you will appreciate that my prices reflect the high level of training, knowledge and experience I have in body massage.

I would be happy to book you in for a treatment here (I am based in....), and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" I'm based in ?.

Enjoy your groupon treatment .

You have my prices and details if you want to use my services in the future ."

Yeah I agree with whats been said already.
Don't give much explanation and I think he is lying about the groupon offer (or could be).
I would never offer discounts if I don't have a promotion going on :)

Thanks Geeks,

I have replied. No doubt he will send me a cheeky message back, or rate my page 1 star...But at the end of the day I would rather not have him as a client if he hasn't even met me yet and is trying to devalue my work. You wouldn't go in to into Mac and say "collection are doing lipsticks for cheaper if you match it I will buy one"... You wouldn't call up a hairdressers asking them to match a groupon offer. It's just cheeky isn't it.

Waiting patiently for his reply lol

Thanks Geeks,

I have replied. No doubt he will send me a cheeky message back, or rate my page 1 star...But at the end of the day I would rather not have him as a client if he hasn't even met me yet and is trying to devalue my work. You wouldn't go in to into Mac and say "collection are doing lipsticks for cheaper if you match it I will buy one"... You wouldn't call up a hairdressers asking them to match a groupon offer. It's just cheeky isn't it.

Waiting patiently for his reply lol

I am sure he is full of bs and I wouldn't worry about him. Besides, isn't there an option to dispute his rating if he does leave one?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Stick to your prices, if he wants groupon prices, let him stick with groupon. I had this before Christmas, a new client asking for a discount. It really irked me. I didn't take the booking on principal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am sure he is full of bs and I wouldn't worry about him. Besides, isn't there an option to dispute his rating if he does leave one?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Im not too sure, facebook won't even let me read my reviews at the moment, I will have to wait and see!

I did find his message quite rude, it made me wonder what he would treat me like if he were my client. The thing is, why is he even contacting me if he's found such a good deal? Bash on with it if it seems that appealing? And I don't like the fact that he said "I will use you"... Em no Mr, you will not in fact "use" me thank you very much! I don't owe him anything!

Thank you for your recent enquiry, unfortunately I am in able to offer discount due to high demand for appointments. I am based in ***. Yours sincerely...

I like that

Latest posts

Back