Messed up majorly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleneweeooo

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a huge problem regarding a colour I attempted yesterday that I wasnt feeling comfortable in. Without going through the full long story, basically I done this colour on a new client and it didn't turn out as I expected. Half an hour before closing time I decided to redo it without much more success. Once the client left she messaged our salons Facebook page to say she hated it. I was in no way happy with the end result myself but she couldn't stay any longer to have it again rectified. My boss (who is not a stylist or qualified in hair) has taken over the conversation on Facebook and told her to come in to "let him see what he can do" on Tuesday (a day I don't work). She said she could only make Friday morning and that she would be in first thing. My boss does not come into the salon on a Friday morning and being in a small busy salon, myself and the other 3 stylists do not have any appointment times free around that time. Ive messaged my boss asking if i can phone him and explain what happened on Saturday and asking what it is he's wanting me to do, but he is just ignoring me.
My main problem is that I performed a colour service that I dont have much experience in. I agreed to do it due to the fact my boss offered her this service via Facebook at a discounted price, so she was unwilling to pay the normal price for the service that she actually needed and that I recommended therefore I stupidly felt pressured to.
So now the damage is done, I feel I am in no way experienced enough to try rectify it again, especially now that she 100% does not want me to touch it again - which I totally understand.
Normally I don't shy away from anything at work and I'm always told I'm the most accommodating stylist in my salon. But this one time, I am in absolutely no way comfortable with attempting to rectify this mistake, for both my benefit and the clients.
Should I really be attempting this again? And should my boss make me do it when this is the situation? I feel sick to the stomach about the mess I made and sat at home crying about it last night which has just sent my normal anxiety problems through the roof.
Please before judging know that I have been fully qualified for only over a year so have not had experience in this kind of correction before, and I know I am fully responsible for the horrible mistake I have made.
Has anyone any advice?

Sweetheart. Don't be too hard on yourself. We all make mistakes, that's exactly how we learn.

Is there a more senior member who has the confidence /competence to do this.

I had a boss who wasn't in hair or beauty, This exact reason caused lots of issues, she would offer refunds willy nilly [emoji29]

X

Thank for the reply @redlottie13
I'm my own worst enemy at times!

My boss owns the business with his husband, who has 25 years experience but unfortunately only does hair in our salon one evening a week as he works mainly in their other salon.
Aside from that, there are two other girls but being able to squeeze this into their busy day in this short notice is going to be difficult, especially as he isn't even replying to my messages or the clients any more to confirm when! And if this does happen, I'll be in the salon at the time most likely doing a client in the chair beside them as they discuss my bad work
As I said, I never shy away from hard work and would normally tackle something like this with full responsibility but now that I've been on the floor for a while now, I feel I have no excuses and Im not sure how to deal with it!

My boss (who is not a stylist or qualified in hair) has taken over the conversation on Facebook and told her to come in to "let him see what he can do" on Tuesday (a day I don't work).

My main problem is that I performed a colour service that I dont have much experience in. I agreed to do it due to the fact my boss offered her this service via Facebook at a discounted price, so she was unwilling to pay the normal price for the service that she actually needed and that I recommended therefore I stupidly felt pressured to.

Please before judging know that I have been fully qualified for only over a year so have not had experience in this kind of correction before, and I know I am fully responsible for the horrible mistake I have made.
Has anyone any advice?

No, you are not responsible for this mistake.

You boss is an idiot and is 100% at fault here and so they’re the one that now needs to step up and resolve this matter.
It is vital that anyone who takes on a hairdressing salon without any practical knowledge or experience of hairdressing must defer to and support their staff, who are after all, being paid for their expertise.

It sounds like the client was unrealistic with her expectations as she wasn’t willing to pay for the service she actually needed and was expecting the cut price service to be comparable. A good manager would not have pressurised you and should instead have supported you in your consultation and given the client clear options.

The client has said she doesn’t want you to re-do her hair, so step back and leave this to your boss to resolve.

Someone who is newly qualified needs plenty of support and ongoing training for a couple of years at the minimum. You need at least 5 years on the floor before you should consider yourself reasonably expert. Give yourself a break.

Do not be embarrassed ....the chances of her being nasty about you while your there are very very unlikely, people aren't usually that shameless! I would address the elephant in the room as soon as she comes in and say." I'm so sorry that I carried this out when I knew I was not confident in it, please accept my apologies and I'm excited to see the end result today, it will look fantastic!" Xxx

Thank for the reply @redlottie13
I'm my own worst enemy at times!

My boss owns the business with his husband, who has 25 years experience but unfortunately only does hair in our salon one evening a week as he works mainly in their other salon.
Aside from that, there are two other girls but being able to squeeze this into their busy day in this short notice is going to be difficult, especially as he isn't even replying to my messages or the clients any more to confirm when! And if this does happen, I'll be in the salon at the time most likely doing a client in the chair beside them as they discuss my bad work
As I said, I never shy away from hard work and would normally tackle something like this with full responsibility but now that I've been on the floor for a while now, I feel I have no excuses and Im not sure how to deal with it!
Also be totally honest with your boss, and ask to shadow more /extra training. As an owner I would respect this much more x

Hey everyone, I have a huge problem regarding a colour I attempted yesterday that I wasnt feeling comfortable in. Without going through the full long story, basically I done this colour on a new client and it didn't turn out as I expected. Half an hour before closing time I decided to redo it without much more success. Once the client left she messaged our salons Facebook page to say she hated it. I was in no way happy with the end result myself but she couldn't stay any longer to have it again rectified. My boss (who is not a stylist or qualified in hair) has taken over the conversation on Facebook and told her to come in to "let him see what he can do" on Tuesday (a day I don't work). She said she could only make Friday morning and that she would be in first thing. My boss does not come into the salon on a Friday morning and being in a small busy salon, myself and the other 3 stylists do not have any appointment times free around that time. Ive messaged my boss asking if i can phone him and explain what happened on Saturday and asking what it is he's wanting me to do, but he is just ignoring me.
So now the damage is done, I feel I am in no way experienced enough to try rectify it again, especially now that she 100% does not want me to touch it again - which I totally understand.
Normally I don't shy away from anything at work and I'm always told I'm the most accommodating stylist in my salon. But this one time, I am in absolutely no way comfortable with attempting to rectify this mistake, for both my benefit and the clients.
Should I really be attempting this again? And should my boss make me do it when this is the situation? I feel sick to the stomach about the mess I made and sat at home crying about it last night which has just sent my normal anxiety problems through the roof.
Has anyone any advice?

Don't let it get you down, these things happen. Try and ask your colleagues what they would have done differently.

There is no such thing as failure, we are either successful, or we learn :)

Thank you so much everyone, I'm feeling much better about the whole thing!
I finally got a hold of my boss last night and he said he will ask another stylist to start earlier on Friday to fit her in so I've chilled a bit knowing it's getting sorted. I'll be there with another client at the time so I'll politely apologise and hopefully things won't be too awkward.
At least I can take away a bit more colour knowledge from the mistake and being more aware of the action to take in this kind of situation

I've had similar things happen in the past and everything is always alright in the end. Just pay attention to what the other stylist does and ask them to give you any advice in what you could have done differently and explain why it may have happened. Also if they respect you, the stylist will not spag off your work x

Latest posts

Back