Messy stylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairgurl

Reaction score
I’m branded the ‘messy’ stylist in my salon. Without sounding big-headed, I’m the most creative worker and mostly deal with big colour corrections and transformations, often on long hair involving multiple processes. I mix up a LOT of tint all day, don’t always have time to be ‘extra careful’ of spilling tiny amounts on the side or flicking it on the floor as I’m doing it, I usually don’t notice. In all honesty, my clients love my work and I’m a popular colourist in the local area, and take the most money for the salon by a long way. We have no juniors or cleaners, and it’s up to the stylists (6 of us) to clean up everything as we go along. Being ‘extra careful’ doesn’t work with my creative colouring as to be honest I’m concentrating on the hair rather than splashing a bit of colour on a surface, and my brain just can’t work that way if I’m going to produce good work. I’m badgered all day long about being ‘SO messy’ told off constantly for leaving a trail of bright coloured tint in my path. I realise this must be so annoying if someone is doing this, but honestly we just need a cleaner then the situation is sorted (manager doesn’t want to pay for one). Am I being unreasonable here, to argue that as the highest taking stylist with the most popular work on social media, and the main colourist who keeps new clients coming in the door, shouldn’t be followed around having their mess pointed out to them so they have to stop what they’re doing to clean up a dot that went on a white surface (which in my opinion is a ridiculous colour to paint a colouring salon anyway). Sorry for the rant!

Whilst I don’t doubt you’re an exceptional colourist, it doesn’t mean you can treat your colleagues as skivvies. If you’re not willing to take on a junior or assistant to clean up after you then you either need to learn to work cleaner or build in cleaning time to your services.

If you show the stylists you work with half as much disdain in person as you have in this post then i’m not surprised they’ve had enough of your mess and your attitude.

Whilst I don’t doubt you’re an exceptional colourist, it doesn’t mean you can treat your colleagues as skivvies. If you’re not willing to take on a junior or assistant to clean up after you then you either need to learn to work cleaner or build in cleaning time to your services.

If you show the stylists you work with half as much disdain in person as you have in this post then i’m not surprised they’ve had enough of your mess and your attitude.
It’s not me who doesn’t want a junior, I’d love one! I’m not allowed to just take one on myself, I work in a salon. I mind my own business at work and do my job well which is taking good money for the company and being nice and friendly to my colleagues. Not to waste half my day cleaning, it would affect my clients and therefore diminish the service that they’re paying for. It looks unprofessional a stylist running around cleaning up the salon while their client is sat there waiting to be seen, and running behind cos of cleaning. Obviously I help clean up everyone else’s mess too, which doesn’t get mentioned when I’m accused of being messy.

Hello,

In answer to your thought- you shouldn't waste half your day cleaning, but other stylists should?

Being creative is wonderful, having a large clientele is the aim, but pee-ing off your colleagues ain't great as you work with them all the time.

Tips to reduce the amount of cleaning needed-
Use plastic cape on every colour client; tie it tightly so it's close to their skin. Use this to lift the hair into the basin as the client leans back and take it off them.

Use 2 pieces of small size (10inch wide) couch roll. Tuck one into the nape of the plastic cape to catch any colour that drips.
Use the other on top of your trolley underneath your bowls.

Use an old / used towel or damp paper towel( prev used for drying) to wipe your hands or tools during the service.

Have some cotton wool pre-damped with stain remover on your trolley to clean your client during the application.

If your client has long hair tuck a plastic cape or a towel between their back and the chair back to it hangs down outside and absorbs any colour through the lengths.

Use 2 layers of plastic cape on a long haired client who is having a refresh or lift on the end. Once applied untie the top cape, work the nape higher up the neck and tie the ties across the front of their head( think 1940`s headscarf). Tuck sides in to cover the hair.

Have a tray or mat for when you mix up. Place all bowls, bottles and tools on it to catch any Drips.

Ensure you put the top back on everything you use and keep an old cloth handy to wipe up any spills.

Wear an apron and gloves that you wipe/ change / replace/ throw away between clients.

Come in 15 mins early to prepare your space/foils/ colour cards.
Stay 20 mins after to tidy it all away.

If you don't have a separate bowl sink or it's not large enough, purchase a washing up bowl to put tint bowls in that you clean at a later time.

If toning at the basin- clip the clients hair up so it doesn't spread all over.
Better yet, tone at the section and clip the hair up or comb neatly.

Consider that a great colour end result doesn't make up for tint on a client's clothing, bag or halfway down their face.

Ask your colleagues if you've missed anything as you walk away from your colour application; they can help you spot the areas of concern.

Appreciate that the other stylists would probably like to be as high earning and creative as you, but feel that cleaning up takes more of their time and focus than they would like.

I hope you continue to be a great stylist and great team member.

I would explain the management that you can take the time to clean and that will mean you will have less time for clients. If you have less time for clients then that is a money loss for the business. Compare the wage to an apprentice and your loss income for the salon. Also explain you can teach them blow waving easily. This means blow waves can shift to them allowing more colours and cuts to go to you. Explain all the ways apprentices can bring in money to a salon.

I worked as a colorist and I had a similar situation with my work colleagues. That's why I resigned and now I work individually

Latest posts

Back