Metal cuticle pusher/curette question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueceroc

Reaction score
Hello, my first question :lol:

So after having lots of teething problems with lifting and doing lots of reading on here and watching FingernailFixer videos, I have invested in a double ended cuticle pusher/curette. I trained using a hoof stick and cuticle knife and nippers so I haven't used this before and have a couple of questions.

I use my cuticle knife wet so it doesn't scratch the nail plate, does the same apply to this tool or can it be used for dry prep?

If it can be used for dry prep, exactly how gentle do you need to be? As I was trying it on myself and even with the lightest of pressure the pusher end seems to be scratching the nail plate and is taking off a white dust from my nail, surely that's not right? On Holly's video on cuticle removal she seems to be going at it prettly firmly and I am hardly pressing at all, so do I need water/cuticle remover on the nail to prevent scratching? I don't want to take off layers of nail plate!

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hello, my first question :lol:

So after having lots of teething problems with lifting and doing lots of reading on here and watching FingernailFixer videos, I have invested in a double ended cuticle pusher/curette. I trained using a hoof stick and cuticle knife and nippers so I haven't used this before and have a couple of questions.

I use my cuticle knife wet so it doesn't scratch the nail plate, does the same apply to this tool or can it be used for dry prep?

If it can be used for dry prep, exactly how gentle do you need to be? As I was trying it on myself and even with the lightest of pressure the pusher end seems to be scratching the nail plate and is taking off a white dust from my nail, surely that's not right? On Holly's video on cuticle removal she seems to be going at it prettly firmly and I am hardly pressing at all, so do I need water/cuticle remover on the nail to prevent scratching? I don't want to take off layers of nail plate!

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

im not sure wot u mean by a double ended cuticle pusher/curette... do u mean a magic wand.
magic_wand_e5x7.jpg

like one of these. if so yes use them dry and firm. the dust u see is thin layer of skin. dont worry lol

I mean one of these:

214blQqipEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is it ok to use this dry without damaging the nail plate?

Thanks by the way :)

Last edited:
I mean one of these:

214blQqipEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is it ok to use this dry without damaging the nail plate?

Thanks by the way :)

i couldnt say for sure as i use the magic wand which you can. as its triple ended... sorry x

Yes you can use it dry. You shouldn't need alot of pressure and if you're holding it at the right angle then there should be effective removal of the cuticle without any damage to the nail plate.

Thanks ladies. Pure, what would the right angle be? I'm holding it about 45 degrees but I thought if it was cuticle it would stop coming off eventually, even with light pressure I can scrape and scrape and it just keeps coming!

Look at the angle the end of the pusher has been cut to, that should be flat against the nail plate. When you say there is white dust is there also scratching of the nail plate? Wipe over with dehydrator/scrub fresh and you will be able to see clearer.

It doesn't seem to have been cut to any angle, it is just a very thin curved piece of metal with a flat edge, no angle :confused:

I've dehydrated and I can see some slight scratching to the nail plate :sad:

I really am being very gentle with it. Maybe it's not such a good one?

All I can suggest then is that you try different angles and pressures until you get no damage.

Can't comment on the quality of the pusher but I use the one from S2 -
Precision Pushie

Never get any damage to the nail plate or left over cuticle!

Ok thank you, I will have a play with it and if I'm not happy may replace it with the Precision Pushie. :)

Latest posts

Back