Metal/Glass/Crystal files

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klara

Reaction score
When I was trained, I was taught to use paper files (like the Kanga 240 grit).

I haven't used anything else, but I was wondering why metal files are not used? Since they are metal they can be disinfected like the other metal tools, or am I wrong?

What about the glass / crystal files? Has anyone used them? They are quite expensive and I was wondering if they last longer than a paper file? From what I have read they can also be disinfected.

I find that my kanga files lose their grit quite quickly and I was wondering what files do you use and how often do you change them.

Hiya

At college we were told never to use the metal files as they were very damaging to the layers of the nails. The crystal files can be used on natural nails (not enhancement products) and they do not wear down like the paper based files do. The crystal files are fully sanitisable due to their glass nature. Therefore even though quite expensive are worthwhile investments in the long run.

Crystal files can be used on enhancements hun, You just need to be careful of friction so it is best to dip the file in water as they can get quite hot and melt the acrylic or gel.
They are also fully sanitisable. I use them on both natural and enhancements and have been using the same file for nearly a year.... I also buy from a great company Pm me if you want any other info
HTH
Jen

I've got a couple of crystal files but only use them on natural nail manicure's. Are they easy to use on acrylic? I didn't think they'd be course enough for rebalancing etc????

jo-ann

Hi Ya all, I am a long time viewer and first time, no second time poster. Regarding these nail files, I have noticed them alot lately in various shops, and only thought that they are best suited to natural nails. It does say on the packaging that they can be used for enhancements providing they are dipped in water. For those who have used them, what grit grade would they be. I had a look at a sample and it felt rather smoothish. I use Creative files for your reference. And how well would they blend the infill line.???? I suppose am looking at all options on the cost front. If one file lasts for a good year - it could be a good investment......:!:

I dont use mine for rebalancing only finishing off they are not coarse enough for that also as they dont give and can shatter you cant really use to sculpt the nail.
They are good for getting rid of any sharp edges and really smooth things down.
But they are a good an on to any service both natural and enhancements, plus they look good.
HTH
Jen

Thank you for your answers. :hug:

From what I see a crystal file is a good investment, I want it basically for manicures and pedicures. What brand do you use?

Why are metal files not good for the nails?

I have not tried a crystal file yet but was tempted to buy one a while ago just because they look so nice....but i wondered if it was a good idea to use a file that had no flexibility which for one thing would create more friction and i believe a metal file shouldnt be used as they too cause too much friction on the nail which can weaken and damage it.

Most Metal files tear the natural nail and can cause more damage than good, thats why I never use then only ever my glass files on natural nails now because they seal the F/E of the nail at the same time.
Jen

Latest posts

Back