Metal spatulas for waxing-what's the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulou71

Reaction score
All

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is any specific difference between a Waxing/Beauty metal spatula and a metal kitchen one?

Seems a strange question possibly but I can't see any difference apart from the cost.

Have I missed something?

All

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is any specific difference between a Waxing/Beauty metal spatula and a metal kitchen one?

Seems a strange question possibly but I can't see any difference apart from the cost.

Have I missed something?

From what I understand it's quicker. Jack advises to get a few of them. There is a method to doing it and you're fine. There're some really super helpful and experienced geeks on here, who I'm sure will chime in for you. Xx

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi I trained with a metal spatula about 15 years ago as that is what was used then. Wax goes on smoother with metal, but wooden is more hygienic as the spatula is thrown away after each client. It is time consuming cleaning a metal spatula after each client.
Hope this helps xx

I seem to remember reading on here before that specific beauty spatula's are made slightly thicker than bendy, thinner kitchen spatulas and that the kitchen spatulas conduct heat more so could potentially burn your client.

I could've made that up, but I'm pretty sure I read that on here when I was looking to find an answer to this question myself. :)

I think general kitchen spatulas are probably a bit longer too and so would be maybe ok for legs, but not for intimate!

I'm sure one of the expert waxers will answer this properly though!

I ended up buying beauty spatulas though, so I must've found some information on here!

I use metal spatulas and I couldn't find any at one stage so bought a few from a baking website and they are completely fine. Easy to work with and aren't too thick or thin

I was trained using spatulas, I can't comment on the difference between baking and other kinds as I purchased mine on line from a link supplied ages ago.

There is a difference in application and the spatulas allow you to spread it much thinner. I wouldn't say the spatula way is less hygienic because you cover larger areas in one go before applying the strips. You touch up, if needed, any stubborn hairs with a wooden spat' once stripped away hair. This gets thrown away.

Personally once you try this method and with practice it's far better in my opinion.

I place used metal spatulas in a solution of Seraclean Just Wax cleaner overnight then give them a soapy wash and clean with surgical spirit. All ready for next day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thanks all. I know the benefits of using one just curious as to the difference between beauty specific and general kitchen - if there was any. I can buy a kitchen one for £2 but beauty specific much more expensive.

Thanks again.

Thanks all. I know the benefits of using one just curious as to the difference between beauty specific and general kitchen - if there was any. I can buy a kitchen one for £2 but beauty specific much more expensive.

Thanks again.

Sorry, I misread your question :o

Sorry so did I. I have a beauty one and a kitchen one, the kitchen one is a wee bit thicker and the beauty one is thinner and narrower at the tip. Personally I would prefer the kitchen one, find it easier to use

No difference. You just need to make sure that the handle isn't too big or curved to twizzle your spat. The ones with straight wooden handles are good.

I always use diposable wooden spatulas, but find them too big for use on eye brows. Eye brow waxing is difficult for me to master so have crossed it off my list.

I always use diposable wooden spatulas, but find them too big for use on eye brows. Eye brow waxing is difficult for me to master so have crossed it off my list.

Hey Little Beauty ... just a little push and prompt coming up -

Being good at any kind of waxing is difficult to master.

Of all the disciplines involved with being a beauty therapist waxing looks easy peasy but it is the most difficult to be very good at.

Even waxing a leg has many pitfalls.

And eye brows are the scariest of all to overcome .. probably even more so than brazilian waxing which comes in a close second.

BUT .. just because you can't master it does not mean you must take it off your menu and give up on it.

You need to steady yourself, not let the nerves take over, and 'fake it til you make it' with regard to eye brows.

Use your eyes and look carefully to really see what you need to remove from an eye brow.

Your clients are not going to want to come to you for all other waxing and then go somewhere else for their eye brows .. they will stop coming to you if you cannot do this treatment!

If you aren't sure about any part of the brow wax process, either do a search on this site or ask for help!!

So. It needs to go back on your menu .. how about it???

:hug: :Love:

As jacquelineanna said. Also, you don't have to use the large wooden spatula for eyebrows, you can buy small onea for facial waxing, you can use orange wood sticks or you could even use your large one and snap it in to 4. (Once width way and then once length way) ;) give it another go xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Spilt a normal spat length ways so it's narrow and you have a pointed edge.

Until you feel more confident with waxing, use tweezers. Some parts of the world charge more for just tweezing.

Wax or tweeze from the tail end and divide it into smaller sections until you're more confident.

I se orange sticks for brow waxing!xx

You are right jacquelieanna about clients going else where for waxing, every time i get a request for eyebrows (and there are loads as it is popular treatment) i say sorry i don't do eye brows they stop coming. Mind you i have had so many requests for threading too, it's also so popular so i refer them to a lady i know. She is very busy and threading is the only thing she does. I am going to have to re-think about doing eye brows, thanks for all the advice.

You are right jacquelieanna i have lost clients because they need eyebrows done, mind you i get lots of requests for threading and i refer them to a lady i know. She is so busy and threading is all she does.

You are right jacquelieanna about clients going else where for waxing, every time i get a request for eyebrows (and there are loads as it is popular treatment) i say sorry i don't do eye brows they stop coming. Mind you i have had so many requests for threading too, it's also so popular so i refer them to a lady i know. She is very busy and threading is the only thing she does. I am going to have to re-think about doing eye brows, thanks for all the advice.

Good girl because at the moment you are helping your threading lady stay very busy with clients that should be yours!!!!

Be scared but don't be afraid .. there is nothing you can't do if you just allow yourself to be in control of your fear.

Every single therapist I have ever spoken to has been scared to death of eye brows .. I used to allow myself 30 minutes to do them!!!!!

But I always did them beautifully and my clients always came back .. they were sick and tired of going to places where it was a five minute job with no real care.

I built my business on eye brows and brazilian waxing and all other waxing ... yet when I was in college I thought I was never going to get the hang of it.

The next person who calls you for eye brows why don't you just book them in and do it .. and then come on here and tell us about it :hug:

I almost took eyebrow wax off menu as I was scared to do them, scared of mucking them up but i persevered and am now pretty confident, I no longer dread them like i used to! Having said that I am saving up to do Kims wax classes as I am determined to be the best that I can be at waxing!!

Did an eye brow wax for a client today, the first in a long time, i was very afraid on the inside but stayed cool and calm so not to show my client. Tried useing an orange stick and it really helped as i waxed off small sections at a time. I think client was happy as she re-booked for eye brow wax and manicure! Looks like eyebrows are back on the menu thanks to all the geeks who encouraged me.

Latest posts

Back