Metal wax spatulas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I wax with them and cover a full area. If I have to redo an area I've already waxed I use a wooden one. And that's what Kim Lawless does as she teaches it, and alot of other professionals on here do the same I've read. I clean it at the end once im finished and only use them for legs and backs an chests so it's not like its being used on underarms or labias.

You have cleansed the persons skin so it's fine. If you don't want to do it then that's cool to use the wooden ones but it's hardly going to kill someone.

:)

That was my understanding aswell. If you speed wax you cover large areas with the wax the use a strip to cover it all up, no broken skin comes into contact with the spat. X

Habia guidelines state that double dipping is fine for areas where no bleeding has occurred. You should never double dip underarms, bikini etc, but legs are fine.x

Your spatula has wax on it. Wax is sticky so any wax that touches your client stays on your client.
Nothing that has touched your client makes it back into the pot.

I wouldn't dream of using my metal spatula anywhere else apart from legs & backs

Not to throw a spanner in the works but I don't think they are hygienic at all. I would never double dip a spatula weather it be for legs or face or whatever. Once a spatula touches someones skin it goes in the bin.

Am just wondering how you could do this with a metal spatula? Not judging but just cant get my head around it.xxx

I could understand not double dipping with areas on tougher hair such as the bikini, underarms etc where ther may be some blood spotting caused but college taught me and has the working world that it is perfectly acceptable to "double dip" with areas such as legs......these are the areas I would use warm wax and my metal spatula on. I would be using hot wax and a wooden one for anything more intimate.
If someone had an infection on their skin which could be passed on you wouldnt be waxing them anyway.

Thats my personal oppinion and thats what I have always practiced anyhow, Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I couldn't live without my metal spats and here's how I do it.

I apply the strip wax to say the entire front lower leg and remove with a strip. If any stray hairs remain, I always manage to remove them with the wax that's on the strip. However, if I did need to apply some more wax, I then use a wooden spat, apply the wax then and throw it. So you're never going over broken skin and then dipping back into the heater.

I keep a can of solvent which I toss each spat in after each client (I have loads of metal spats). The same solvent stays in there and I top it up every couple of months. When I remove the spats, there's no wax, just solvent. I wipe the solvent off and then put them all in the basin and give them a good old wash with hot soapy water. I dry them and give a quick spray with any anti-bacterial spray.

HTH's x

I also use metal spats on arms (not u'ams) and legs only and couldn't live without them too! I change spats with each new client and also put them into solvent before washing and apply antibacterial spray. I use Lycon and find metal spats much easier and more economical for applying the wax than a wooden spat.

Kim that kind of makes sense but I've had a few client's phone and ask if we double dip before they even came in. Client's are getting so aware now days. Have a read of this link and see what you think. Bare in mind it Isn't a professional writing it but have a read of the comments under and that's what the public are thinking. The other thing is, even if it is safe, I don't want some strangers dead skin touching mine :Scared: Just even google 'double dipping wa' and look at the amount that comes up! No wonder client's are afraid!

Double Dipping and other horrors. More salon secrets from industry insiders | Beaut.ie

Last edited:
For me I think it is inevitable that Double Dipping will be banned by insurers. It already is in the USA, and HABIA recommend you don't do it.

Why double dip on some areas and not other? I've never understood the logic behind that. Just because you can't see any blood spotting doesn't mean there is no infection or contamination on the skin.

And the most important views on this matter to me ... my clients. Clients prefer it when you don't double dip!!

For me I think it is inevitable that Double Dipping will be banned by insurers. It already is in the USA, and HABIA recommend you don't do it.

Why double dip on some areas and not other? I've never understood the logic behind that. Just because you can't see any blood spotting doesn't mean there is no infection or contamination on the skin.

And the most important views on this matter to me ... my clients. Clients prefer it when you don't double dip!!

I didn't know it was made illegal in the states, that kind of says it all then doesn't it! Thanks for sharing.x

The USA think will most likely vary state by state, but I know some states are very strict on it!

Kim that kind of makes sense but I've had a few client's phone and ask if we double dip before they even came in. Client's are getting so aware now days. Have a read of this link and see what you think. Bare in mind it Isn't a professional writing it but have a read of the comments under and that's what the public are thinking. The other thing is, even if it is safe, I don't want some strangers dead skin touching mine :Scared: Just even google 'double dipping wa' and look at the amount that comes up! No wonder client's are afraid!

Double Dipping and other horrors. More salon secrets from industry insiders | Beaut.ie
I understand your concerns and I never double dip on area's that I use hot wax.

There is no dead skin as there's a layer of wax between the skin and the spat.

Just noticed that you're in Dublin (love the place) and interestingly, I was told by a well know insurance company that they would never branch into Ireland as they have a very high rate of claims there. You have to follow your own country's guidelines though. x

Last edited:
Habia recommend that you use a new spatula for EACH client or each area.
If there was such a risk of cross-contamination then Habia would recommend a new spatula per dip.
Think about it logically and then you'll realise that you won't catch anything from a waxpot.
Studies have been done on wax pots that had been double-dipped in and waxpots that haven't. The results were about the same.
Not heard of anyone dying from a double-dipped waxpot!

HABIA Code on Waxing:

"Industry techniques and views on waxing hygiene are changing. Current accepted practice is that a new spatula is used for each client and the risk of cross-contamination is small.
Spatulas or applicators for application of wax to hairs remaining immediately after an area has been waxed must be single use, and not re-dipped into the wax pot.
It would be considered best practice to use single-client cartridges and disposable applicator heads.
Other techniques with the same aim that Habia has been made aware of are described below:
1) Using a new spatula for each dip into the wax pot"

It's true that no one has died from a double dipped waxpot, but again it comes down to clients. I trim clients A hair because he is a gorilla and double dip away. Some of his hairs are are going to end up in the pot. Not really sure that client B would like the feeling of someone else's hairs on them.

Mat

I understand your concerns and I never double dip on area's that I use hot wax.

There is no dead skin as there's a layer of wax between the skin and the spat.

Just noticed that you're in Dublin (love the place) and interestingly, I was told by a well know insurance company that they would never branch into Ireland as they have a very high rate of claims there. You have to follow your own country's guidelines though. x

I'd well believe it as there is so many salons here that do their own thing and don't follow any guidelines. Sure I'm in the industry 8 years and never once got asked to show my certs or anything to prove I was qualified. That's why you have to take it upon yourself to do the right thing so please don't paint us all with the same brush :wink2:

Personally I don't see the logic behind using the same spatula as they are so inexpensive anyway?x

HABIA Code on Waxing:

"Industry techniques and views on waxing hygiene are changing. Current accepted practice is that a new spatula is used for each client and the risk of cross-contamination is small.
Spatulas or applicators for application of wax to hairs remaining immediately after an area has been waxed must be single use, and not re-dipped into the wax pot.
It would be considered best practice to use single-client cartridges and disposable applicator heads.
Other techniques with the same aim that Habia has been made aware of are described below:
1) Using a new spatula for each dip into the wax pot"

It's true that no one has died from a double dipped waxpot, but again it comes down to clients. I trim clients A hair because he is a gorilla and double dip away. Some of his hairs are are going to end up in the pot. Not really sure that client B would like the feeling of someone else's hairs on them.

Mat

Didn't think of that with the hairs eww! Anyway I will stick to not double dipping as I have gained so many client's from practicing this way!

Has anyone ever thought of what if the client sweats and then your putting that back into the pot? Even if you cleanse the skin, they can still sweat as your doing it?

We don't double dip with a normal wooden spatula. We are talking about double dipping as we use metal ones which we find better for speed waxing and getting a very thin application of wax.

If my client was excessively sweating then I would use wooden ones at that particular time but other than that it's metal for me.

Didn't think of that with the hairs eww! Anyway I will stick to not double dipping as I have gained so many client's from practicing this way!

Has anyone ever thought of what if the client sweats and then your putting that back into the pot? Even if you cleanse the skin, they can still sweat as your doing it?
I think you're getting a bit carried away Suzanne as we're not talking about double dipping on intimate, under arms or face. I have never had a single hair in my wax ever!

Now have a large vodka and calm yourself before someone has to call an ambulance.:smack:

Remember that I only apply with the metal spat once on unbroken skin and then if I need to re-apply over the same area, I use a new wooden spat and then throw it………….I don't put that back into the wax. :hug:

When i trained at college we was taught to NOT double dip, we used wooden spats and dipped it in applied the wax and in the bin it went!

I think that when people say that double dipping is fine as the wax touches the skin not the spat i think is not true as I'm sure at some point the spat will come in contact with the skin!

i like the idea of metal spats as if you have a few you can sanitize them and reuse them with is not classes as double dipping!

if i went to a salon and they double dipped i wouldn't go back! my mum once went for a bikini wax and they used non strip wax and once they removed it they threw it back in the pot!!!! EWWWWW!!!

Just a tip: Hot iron over an old cloth that goes on the wax spill on the carpet and the spill is a history :)

Do it dissolve it properly off carpet? I have a dark patch now where wax has been dropped and cleaned but it's left a sticky residue :(

Latest posts

Back