Metallic salts preventing colour deposit?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
Just had an urgh client in

He has a grade 2. Little longer on the top want to go silver.

However he had put a wash in, wash out on.

Turns out it was just for men.

Chelated using Malibu C crystal gel and then Malibu C color correction.

I bleached it with 20vol. Not heat not problem. Lifted to a very warm 9. I checked with a colour swatch as I wasn't confident it has lifted enough. (Similar to 9.33).

So I washed and applied dia 9.11 with 6 vol. after 15 minutes it had barely touched it? So put on some 10.21 with smidge of 10.22 just to know it back. Left on for 20 mins again. And it literally had not touched parts of it.
Some was a beautiful grey. But the warm parts were SO warm.

Why was this? [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Did you anti oxy?

I am under the impression Inoa is an anti-oxy and used that.

*inoa post shampoo

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to lift it more, to a clean very pale yellow first. You may just need to re-apply the lightener to the legths and ends if the roots were clean enough.

If you want it to look like a true 9.11 I would lift to a level 10 - very pale yellow, tone with a violet base to neutralise the yellow undercoat (e.g. 9.02 / 10.21) then retone with the target shade 9.11.

Hi there.....was wondering what the outcome was re; 'Silver fox' :p!
Agree with adamlea87, you need to reach a higher level before you tone....
How long was his hair on top.....what was more yellow, the back/sides or top?
Was the client happy with the result, or is he coming back for round 2!

I find with the shorter hair (my sons currently sporting a grey mop) lift as light as possible then apply as a colour instead of a toner, it took 2 go's to get a decent grey 1'st was toner with 9.1 then an all over colour (on dry) of 8.1 and I washed off when it was deep enough

Hi there.....was wondering what the outcome was re; 'Silver fox' :p!
Agree with adamlea87, you need to reach a higher level before you tone....
How long was his hair on top.....what was more yellow, the back/sides or top?
Was the client happy with the result, or is he coming back for round 2!

The back was pale yellow. (He cuts his own hair.) and he had that monk bit (do you know what I mean?!) That was a little longer than a 2 and that was yellow.

I dried it and it looked pale enough. So went ahead with the toner. But if anything it looked darker and warmer after the toner?

He (and I) wanted it more silver. But I wasn't entirely sure why it hadn't toned and thought that it could have been the fact he had had 'just for men' on. So didn't want to put more bleach on if it was going to do the same.

I only charged him £35 for about 2/2.5 hours work. I didn't want I do an extra 2 hours without, especially if it hadn't lifted.

The back was pale yellow. (He cuts his own hair.) and he had that monk bit (do you know what I mean?!) That was a little longer than a 2 and that was yellow.

I dried it and it looked pale enough. So went ahead with the toner. But if anything it looked darker and warmer after the toner?

He (and I) wanted it more silver. But I wasn't entirely sure why it hadn't toned and thought that it could have been the fact he had had 'just for men' on. So didn't want to put more bleach on if it was going to do the same.

I only charged him £35 for about 2/2.5 hours work. I didn't want I do an extra 2 hours without, especially if it hadn't lifted.[/QUOTE

My next question was to be....How much did all that anguish make you!!
This is the 'behind the scene's' part of the industry that 'Joe public' don't take into account.
It's not just about the treatment or service....it's all the OTHER STUFF.
The before and after.
The time spent on planning,researching, SALON GEEKING......and sometimes WORRYING.....
how it's all going to turn out!
Make sure, BEFORE you take it on, you feel confident of a positive outcome....and a decent profit for yourself as a result ;)

Torri you definitely should've charged more for this!

I only charged him £35 for about 2/2.5 hours work. I didn't want I do an extra 2 hours without, especially if it hadn't lifted.

My next question was to be...how much did your charge........
Aside from what we charge, 'Joe public' seem oblivious to the OTHER STUFF that accompanies the service.
The before and after, the research, the planning........, and sometimes the WORRYING!!!!!!
Make sure, before you 'take it on', there will be a positive outcome,
and that includes a decent profit for you!;)

I ALWAYS struggle with quoting for colour correction. Would it be best to just quote hourly rate plus £20 for products? X

I ALWAYS struggle with quoting for colour correction. Would it be best to just quote hourly rate plus £20 for products? X

Yeah that'd be a good idea! X

Latest posts

Back