Metallic salts reaction, I wanted to cry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotie

Chucks
Reaction score
So this eve I was just about finished my 2nd to last client at 6.30pm when a new clients turns up. She’d got the appointment times mixed up so was 30mins late and the person who was supposed to do her hair had left already. So I said I could doit for her. I had 20 extensions to do but not for another hour so I got her balayage on and went off to do my extensions. Her hair was super dark and had been bleach once before. Probably 10mins into my extensions I checked her colour, all good. Another 10/15 I checked it, there was a wet puddle and dripping bleach and it was so so hot. I dashed her over to the basin and took it all off. Literally thought all her long hair was just gonna come away with the balayage film. But shockingly it felt ok! And had lifted like crazy!!! So I toned (did a test but 1st) and olaplex and trim. All seemed ok. Most of the hair was super silky and healthy and the odd bits were like candy floss and sticky, not much tho so I managed to chop it out. I’ve been a hairdresser 8 years and never had this. Do others still get these problems, cos when this shit happens I feel like I wanna go work at boots! Fml!!!!!! Should I strand test every new client?? Most clients are amazing then the odd one I wanna cry!!!!!!!!

I have never seen this per se. However once we had a client come in for a perm. She claimed she had never coloured her hair. So my boss permed her. The her afterwards was horrid but still curled. We told her not to wash it and all that aftercare yada. A week later she came in, her perm was collapsed and her hair was frazzled. So we sat her down trying to identify with us what was up. Thats when she mentioned that she has had salt and peppered foils a few weeks prior from groupon. She thought that colour meant on the scalp and not foils. That day I learned how important the information from a consultation is. And now I'm probably overthorough. Rather then saying "Have you hadd colour before?" I will say "Have you had any chemical work done to your hair?" most the time they ask me "What do you mean?" and I will say, "I mean foils, colour, lightener, chemical straightenings... anything that changes your hair really." I also look for opaic tones if I see colour and ask them about their colour as well. I've noticed grocery brand tints tend to look opaic and flat. Patchiness isn't always an indication of a grocery store tint especially since people can purchase salon brands easily. But if a colour looks like it has too much pigment and has a muddy look to it then it tends to not be saolon quality most the time.

Oh boy, definitely sounds like metalic salts were present. Did you establish what it was that she was using? I know some over the counter shampoos and conditioners have metalic salts in them. Is there a chance she may have used henna at Some point? Some people wouldn't consider that colouring their hair because it's natural... Strand resting is important, and all be it an easy mistake to make, from now on I'm sure you will. If this kind of thing happens again (similar reaction on a strand test) use either the malibu c crystal gel or the colour wow dream filter shampoo. Then re test the hair :)
How was the client after the service?

Probably 10mins into my extensions I checked her colour, all good.
Another 10/15 I checked it, there was a wet puddle and dripping bleach and it was so so hot.
...Should I strand test every new client?? Most clients are amazing then the odd one I wanna cry!!!!!!!!

What on earth are you doing??! :eek:

You can’t pop between clients like the old days.

It’s one client at a time and a thorough clean between each client inc. wiping the chair and swapping your mask and cleaning your visor. You can’t service 2 clients wearing the same PPE.

CROSS CONTAMINATION.

Have you been reading any of the new requirements for opening post Covid?

1. Every single client (whether a regular or not) to be patch tested in case they’ve had the virus.
Asymptomatic carriers won’t know they’ve had it. The virus affects the immune system and there’s some evidence that some people become extremely sensitive to artificial chemicals inc. colour products.

2. During Lockdown, some clients put all sorts on their hair inc. coloured shampoos, box dyes and henna, but they won’t necessarily admit it. Unless they’ve clearly got a couple of inches of obviously virgin root growth, I’d be very wary.

So this eve I was just about finished my 2nd to last client at 6.30pm when a new clients turns up. She’d got the appointment times mixed up so was 30mins late and the person who was supposed to do her hair had left already. So I said I could doit for her. I had 20 extensions to do but not for another hour so I got her balayage on and went off to do my extensions. Her hair was super dark and had been bleach once before. Probably 10mins into my extensions I checked her colour, all good. Another 10/15 I checked it, there was a wet puddle and dripping bleach and it was so so hot. I dashed her over to the basin and took it all off. Literally thought all her long hair was just gonna come away with the balayage film. But shockingly it felt ok! And had lifted like crazy!!! So I toned (did a test but 1st) and olaplex and trim. All seemed ok. Most of the hair was super silky and healthy and the odd bits were like candy floss and sticky, not much tho so I managed to chop it out. I’ve been a hairdresser 8 years and never had this. Do others still get these problems, cos when this shit happens I feel like I wanna go work at boots! Fml!!!!!! Should I strand test every new client?? Most clients are amazing then the odd one I wanna cry!!!!!!!!

I had this happen after a holiday where I spent the whole time just sitting on the beach. Totally Virgin hair at the time, got really hot, started melting. Lost half my fringe and brushing was impossible. Was on no more than about 10mins.

But I’ve also sat in a hairdressers and accidentally lied about having box dyed my hair as I have a terrible memory, it was so similar to my natural colour, was maybe 9/10 months before that I’d done it and I’d no idea I was lying. She must have thought I was a right nutter. She goes ‘oh it’s such a lovely colour, never seen anything like it before.’ I said thanks, got home and was like...fml I just flat out lied to her face.

Latest posts

Back