Metallic salts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuZz'<3

Reaction score
I've seen metallic salts mentioned a lot lately, it seems more and more OTC hair products have them in, also more and more people are un aware of them,
so here's a thread for us all to advise each other...
Due to us being professionals and not using any OTC products there will be products we are unaware of..

name any products we have came across that our clients use that contain metallic salts...

To start it off:
We have all recently said on another thread about the Xxl live box colours.

Strangely enough I had a similar experience as the Live XXL disasters happen with a client who'd been coloring her hair with a semi-permanent l'oreal box dye (whatever that is)-the color wouldn't budge, the foils heated up like crazy, and the hair felt gunky at the ends where build-up was densest, even after a conditioning treatment.

Metallic salts are present in most natural hair dyes, such as henna. Sulfates in care products are also a form of metallic salts. We all know why sulfates are bad. OTC products use them as foaming cleansing agents to strip away natural oils. They also break down keratin treatments very rapidly.

Strangely enough I had a similar experience as the Live XXL disasters happen with a client who'd been coloring her hair with a semi-permanent l'oreal box dye (whatever that is)-the color wouldn't budge, the foils heated up like crazy, and the hair felt gunky at the ends where build-up was densest, even after a conditioning treatment.

Henna colours also have them in I found this out in my days at college where I did consultation on client for perm she said she didn't dye her hair and when I did it and check it after five minutes the hair was stretching and I took it off straight away, and the confronted her and said you must have used something because your hair reacting to the perm and she forgot that she uses henna dyes after that she had reconstructors and a good cut x

I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) but caution was advised about colouring if you are in an area which may have older/copper water pipes. I'm sure I read that could leave metallic salt deposits on the hair or affect your colouring result. Also sometimes areas with lots of spring water supplies can be high in natural metallic salts.

I hope I haven't just imagined that! :/

SOME henna dyes have metallic salts in them. I had a client who used Lush henna and absolutely nothing showed up on her hair when I did an incompatability test (and I tested from several points on her head just to be sure).

Stylist friend of mine had a women who used Nice & Easy and her hair was full of metallic salts.

SOME henna dyes have metallic salts in them. I had a client who used Lush henna and absolutely nothing showed up on her hair when I did an incompatability test (and I tested from several points on her head just to be sure).

Stylist friend of mine had a women who used Nice & Easy and her hair was full of metallic salts

It was one from body shop all natural ingredients all I know is it stretched she lucky I checked it after 5mins she'd had no hair left, although she complained to my tutor and she just said with holding information like that or even forgetting is your fault and she did a through consultation, but luckily it wasn't too damaged but she was advised not to straighten her hair or dye it because of it, as for nice and easy I only bleach bathed one client that used that dye and it was fine but you never know, but I did test it first to see how it turn out x

I only know of xxl, henna and the one in almost all £1 shops (no idea of the name).
As a basic rule always test box coloured hair xoxo

I was told so forgive me if i am wrong with this that the colour hair sprays you can get has metallic salts in.

I was told so forgive me if i am wrong with this that the colour hair sprays you can get has metallic salts in.

They never even entered my head. Would be interesting to know. Xoxo

I wouldn't even thought they would seen as metallic salts causes so many problems seen as it counter acts with the sulfate in the colours if that's right if not I do apOlogise I haven't read up on this since my college days I could do with my theory folder just to refresh my memory some times x

I educate all clients about metallic salts and how important it is that they tell me off all products etc they've used in between appointments, I never thought about colour sprays. I always test when I hear 'got it from the shop' haha... I tested a lady who had used the John Freda blonde products, I'm unaware of their actual name, it's not a colour it's a conditioner.. That had a bad reaction, it went really hot was fizzing in the test solutions, when I stretched ye test piece it literally crumbled.

She wasn't happy at all however I was rather amused it was one of the worst reactions I'd seen xx

[QUOTE=JuZz'
It's probably one of the sun in type products from the same thing (can not bring myself to give it a name as it can't be a real hairdresser when it allows things like this to happen). I'm sure iv seen it in boots saying it will lighten hair without bleach etc... No idea how it work but such a nasty product. Sun silk do similar xoxo

I educate all clients about metallic salts and how important it is that they tell me off all products etc they've used in between appointments, I never thought about colour sprays. I always test when I hear 'got it from the shop' haha... I tested a lady who had used the John Freda blonde products, I'm unaware of their actual name, it's not a colour it's a conditioner.. That had a bad reaction, it went really hot was fizzing in the test solutions, when I stretched ye test piece it literally crumbled.

She wasn't happy at all however I was rather amused it was one of the worst reactions I'd seen xx

Wow! Think I should start telling clients off for doing it haha x

Is that the Be Blonde range? Also do a range for brown hair. I think I read somewhere on here before about it reacting for metallic salts.

Metalic salts, contain agents which help make the hair vibrant, when it goes vibrant it stains the entire cortex of the hair shaft, basically killing the hair as it stains it throughout.

A normal professional dye is much softer to the hair strand and allows it to be partly stained in pro terms and can be lifted out.

When a product like live xxl is applied, metallic salts have changed the hair stand, making it brittle and much more dryer.

There really isnt any pros to using this product, it makes hair gleam/appear shiny and full of bright colour- when you first apply it. Close up on what you really dont see is how damaged that hair is, and repeated exposure makes the hair very damaged.

When a client mixes and matches then wants it taken out off, the bleach/colour remover can react and the cortex of the hair will still be the luminous shade of the previous colour as its restructured hair. This in turn will either have to be cut out, or toned as it will never lift any further becaused it can be colour locked-where no more colour is able to absorb or be taken in.

There are many products available otc. Sun in/ any form of a progressive lightener, highly reactive to heat sources and colour-a reciepe to cook your hair to death!
The Live XXL range. Henna-any form, natural henna will make the hair apppear to a brown copper shade, this lifted will only go ginger. Black henna is poisionous and must not applied anywhere on the body-especially hair otherwise ppd allergy tints are what you will need!

Basically read what your using, and try to avoid using these products even if you are being cheap! If you think of attempting it, dont be surprised if your hairdresser charges you a bomb to correct your hair! xoxo

Is that the Be Blonde range? Also do a range for brown hair. I think I read somewhere on here before about it reacting for metallic salts.

Yes that's correct, I've recently seen them in boots... It was an awful reaction. This was a year ago, I've since been doing regular cuts to cut away the terrible products. It's going to be a long wait though xx

JuZz' It's probably one of the sun in type products from the same thing (can not bring myself to give it a name as it can't be a real hairdresser when it allows things like this to happen). I'm sure iv seen it in boots saying it will lighten hair without bleach etc... No idea how it work but such a nasty product. Sun silk do similar xoxo[/quote said:
Hahaha that's silly, but people actually fall for it :/
It's rather expensive, and if it did eventually lighten hair it would cost a lot to keep up buying this stuff. You mains well go to a local salon for a professional service and keep healthy hair!
It winds me up these so called professionals putting their names on such awful things.Xx

Metalic salts, contain agents which help make the hair vibrant, when it goes vibrant it stains the entire cortex of the hair shaft, basically killing the hair as it stains it throughout.

A normal professional dye is much softer to the hair strand and allows it to be partly stained in pro terms and can be lifted out.

When a product like live xxl is applied, metallic salts have changed the hair stand, making it brittle and much more dryer.

There really isnt any pros to using this product, it makes hair gleam/appear shiny and full of bright colour- when you first apply it. Close up on what you really dont see is how damaged that hair is, and repeated exposure makes the hair very damaged.

When a client mixes and matches then wants it taken out off, the bleach/colour remover can react and the cortex of the hair will still be the luminous shade of the previous colour as its restructured hair. This in turn will either have to be cut out, or toned as it will never lift any further becaused it can be colour locked-where no more colour is able to absorb or be taken in.

There are many products available otc. Sun in/ any form of a progressive lightener, highly reactive to heat sources and colour-a reciepe to cook your hair to death!
The Live XXL range. Henna-any form, natural henna will make the hair apppear to a brown copper shade, this lifted will only go ginger. Black henna is poisionous and must not applied anywhere on the body-especially hair otherwise ppd allergy tints are what you will need!

Basically read what your using, and try to avoid using these products even if you are being cheap! If you think of attempting it, dont be surprised if your hairdresser charges you a bomb to correct your hair! xoxo
I know it's a long time since, but this comes up first when you search metallic salts, a correction- box henna, or regular store bought henna contains metallic salts, pure henna does not, it cannot possibly and it only comes in one colour, which when put on grey hair, goes bright orange-faded red and nothing else. Any other color of henna is fake and artificially loaded with ppd. really henna are the leaves of a plant, in order for the colour molecules to be released from the henna plant, the leaves must be crushed to a very fine grain, then soaked in a solution of hot water with a mild acid-lemon Juice works fine or green tea, the henna only stains the outer surface of the hair, and colour removers won't work and bleach makes it brighter, to remove real 'pure' henna, you must use 80% pure ALCAHOL. If someone says they used henna, and they didn't have to mix it the day before, do a test, which should be everyone, it's actually almost impossible to get real henna in the western world

Sorry but there is NO metallic salts in XXL Live I no for sure because I'be used it on my own hair with L'Oreal colour in the same service

Latest posts

Back