Mica powders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Geeks,

I tried using Mica powders yesterday for the first time with CND Shellac...here's what I did

Base - Cure 10 secs
hotski to tchotchke x 2 cure each for 2 mins
Then applied Mica (ombre) into inhibition layer
Applied Top Coat and cured for 2 mins.

Now as I was using D-Sperse the Mica powder seemed to chip/separate under the top coat. But none was coming off onto the lint free pad...and the Shellac was still absolutely fine...however the more I wiped...the more the Mica was removed...but like I said NONE on the wipe.

What am I doing wrong? Please help x

It sounds like you using too much mica. Try using less with a lighter touch.

Do the mica powders look different over a black base and a white, do most geeks use them over white?

It sounds like you using too much mica. Try using less with a lighter touch.

So will pressing it in like you do with glitter cause the separation (chipped looked) once its cured under top coat and wiped with D-Sperse?

Thanks

Hi, I did a client with Mica and did gelish french tips and they lasted 3 weeks, but i did the same client the other night with just Mica and she said it is all lifting. I also did my own nails with Mica and twinkle over the top and they have started lifting after a week! do you have any tips at all or know why it worked with french tips but not on its own? :)

Hi, I did a client with Mica and did gelish french tips and they lasted 3 weeks, but i did the same client the other night with just Mica and she said it is all lifting. I also did my own nails with Mica and twinkle over the top and they have started lifting after a week! do you have any tips at all or know why it worked with french tips but not on its own? :)

Hi sharn iv only done my first set with mica today but iv read somewhere on here about when applying mica. Leave a tiny margin so the top coat will encase the mica and seal it in. Hope that helps. Ivy tried to do it this way today so see how they go on my mum :) x

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Thanks can you let me know how they last :) xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Thanks can you let me know how they last :) xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Yeah sure. Iv already found that on one finger , I couldn't have capped free edge fully with top coat and a tad has peeled off. But other fingers are fine. :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

This may be a daft question but are all mica powders pearlescent? I'm looking for flat/matte colours in white, neons and brights. Are there any particular brands that anyone uses to achieve this? MAC perhaps?

I already have all additives and use them lots but so many of my clients hate any sort of shimmer to their colours and I'm struggling to achieve that with the Shellac colours without having to get another brand in.

This may be a daft question but are all mica powders pearlescent? I'm looking for flat/matte colours in white, neons and brights. Are there any particular brands that anyone uses to achieve this? MAC perhaps?

I already have all additives and use them lots but so many of my clients hate any sort of shimmer to their colours and I'm struggling to achieve that with the Shellac colours without having to get another brand in.

Like you, I have been after a matt white but so far no luck. I have found a seller that is currently trying to get me some and if successful, I will let you know :) x

That would be great, thank you!

If anyone comes across a pure (non shimmer) white could you let me know x

All Mica powders are shimmery because the substrates that uncoloured mica is made from is shimmery.

Your best bet is to purchase Titanium Dioxide powder from a soap making supplier. This is a pure white flat pigment and the colourant in most white cosmetics.

All Mica powders are shimmery because the substrates that uncoloured mica is made from is shimmery.

Your best bet is to purchase Titanium Dioxide powder from a soap making supplier. This is a pure white flat pigment and the colourant in most white cosmetics.

I looked at that but wasn't sure if it was ok to use as a pigment. Have you tried it? X

I looked at that but wasn't sure if it was ok to use as a pigment. Have you tried it? X

I have, I was involved in cosmetics manufacture for quite a few years so have a general understanding of pigments etc.
as I said Titanium is the white colourant in the majority of cosmetics, even white Acrylic polymer so it is fine to use. It's very useful in small amounts for mixing with other pigments and micas to lighten or dilute other colours.
It has a similar slightly clumpy consistency as the Red and Yellow additives, as they are all mineral based x
Do be careful though if choosing other pure mineral pigments from soapmakers, that you check to see they are classed as safe for use in cosmetics and an MSDS is available x

I have, I was involved in cosmetics manufacture for quite a few years so have a general understanding of pigments etc.
as I said Titanium is the white colourant in the majority of cosmetics, even white Acrylic polymer so it is fine to use. It's very useful in small amounts for mixing with other pigments and micas to lighten or dilute other colours.
It has a similar slightly clumpy consistency as the Red and Yellow additives, as they are all mineral based x
Do be careful though if choosing other pure mineral pigments from soapmakers, that you check to see they are classed as safe for use in cosmetics and an MSDS is available x

Thanks Fee, I will do x

I have been looking for a matte white. Thanks Fee for giving me a name to what I was looking for. I use Coastal Scents for mica and have great results with their eye shadow palettes. They have a great matte neon collection, picture attached. They also have titanium dioxide powder. Very reasonable.

Coastal Scents: Titanium Dioxide

Coastal Scents: Creative Me #1 Palette

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 327
Thanks Fee and Bo, that's really helpful

Is there any problems with curing using titanium dioxide? I have heard the oxides don't cure well.

I've got a reoccurring problem with my mica gels overlays :(
They chip or rub off at the tip area, not the gel, just the mica!?
Lost confidence in using them, any Ida's what's causing this abc how too fix? X

I have been looking for a matte white. Thanks Fee for giving me a name to what I was looking for. I use Coastal Scents for mica and have great results with their eye shadow palettes. They have a great matte neon collection, picture attached. They also have titanium dioxide powder. Very reasonable.

Coastal Scents: Titanium Dioxide

Coastal Scents: Creative Me #1 Palette

Oh wow great colours! Wanted neon for ages. How do you do this, brush in abc over gel? Do you get enough on brush that way?

Latest posts

Back