Micro teach, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste

Reaction score
hi all,
i am half way through my 7303 and coming to my micro teach i know some of you guys have done this so could realy do with your help i have read on that some of you have got to pick the topic to teach, i can not do this :eek: i have got to fill 30 mins on challenges to learning :confused: wot the *@!! do i say, please help.

Last edited:
I did indian head massage, gave them all a handout with the massage movements on with pictures so they could visualise it, I did a powerpoint presentation covering health and saftey, the history of IHM, effects of massage and so on.

Then I got a willing volunteer and sat the students in a semi circle with me at the front with my volunteer and we did the massage movements together with me firing questions at them asking what movements we were doing, and then i would go round and check everyones pressure. I really enjoyed it I only got 20 minutes but i got it down to the last second. Many in my group went over time and got marked down for it.

Make sure you introduce yourself first its the icebreaker, and make it fun. When its fun its sinks in better. If its boring people tend to switch off. Ive just remembered make sure you put the finding of your initial assessement into your introduction to make sure you have covered your individual learners needs.

some people did stuff like craft, health and saftey, fire extingushers, electrical testing, karate, weight watchers....... Do what you feel is your strong point.
Good luck
Deb x

I did the use of false eyelashes.

did a very quick powerpoint; normal to extreme fantasy etc. then we did a quick brainstorm about the use of them i.e. eve make up,catwalk, Trans gender and for chemo patients etc. It made them think!

I then explained about patch test,consultation and then 'here's one I prepared earlier' - my husband (also doing cert ed) and put on a few single lashes:green:

as said remember your aims objectives and recap at end.

Good luck
hth's:hug:

I did 2 one 10 min talk another 30 min, for 10 mins I did hand washing - it sounds bizarre but there is a 'proper' way to wash your hands! I also did Solar manicure because I could talk and talk and talk and talk about it, there is NO way I could stumble, lose my thread or get confused when talking about it. I talked about the (old) box, what was inside, each product and comman uses. I introduced the room to CND and the solar family and re-capped at the end what i told them I would tell them. Solar was great for me as there were loads of questions I didnt even have to use my 2 secret people (friend and boyf!)
Good Luck

thanks guys but i cant pick what to teach :eek: i so wish i could, 30 min on the challanges to learning :cry:.

thanks guys but i cant pick what to teach :eek: i so wish i could, 30 min on the challanges to learning :cry:.

wow that's mean:green:

ok, how about dividing your 'class' into groups with some flip chart paper and get them to write a list of their challenging experiences.You could then have a group discussion and compare list etc.

This isn't a cheat,these can be very pro active discussions! just remember to give your aims and objectives and be in control of the discussion

hth's:hug:

Actually I think you could make this really good. First you need to identify some 'challenges to learning'. Then you just need to work out how you can get the message across. i.e. explain the challenges you have identified and how you could overcome them. I reckon you could 'give' everyone in the room a different problem/challenge/barrier and see how it would impact on them and how it could be worked around.

thanks guys. jmel, i like :) could you explaine more,

Ok so first work out some barriers to learning. What are the barriers, and why. Then you could sabbotage each student in some way, so that they each have to deal with a challenge. Let them see the problem, and work together to come up with ideas on how to work around them. I did a module on barriers to learning as part of my PGD in Education. Obviously this is just a very short session but it could be fun. I'm happy to help as much as you like, but I'm not going to do all the work for you! (You can tell I'm a teacher can't you lol). Let us know the 'challenges' you come up with and we'll take it from there. If you're really, really stuck I may help you think of a few xx

thanks jmel your a star, to me a challange is something that makes it harder to learn ie a disability or dislexia or someone that cant hear too well so what you mean is say give one group headphones one group tape there arms up ect
Dont mean to sound dim but my head hurts :confused:

Those things are indeed challenges. Someone who couldn't read for example, you wouldn't need to blindfold them though!, you could just not give them a sheet of written instructions (I.e. so they would miss some vital points). There are also many other barriers (esp. to adults) that you may not initially think of. What about people who can't arrange childcare, no suitable public transport, they may arrive late or struggle to get to classes. In this case, it could be fun to make one student stand outside the room for five minutes so they miss some important bits.

Ok so now you've got the general idea, you need to put it into a plan. 30 mins is not very long at all. Please feel free to keep posting and we'll get you sorted.

thank you so much , this was the bit about this course that has put me of doing it befor now i know i will be ok in my world but this is getting me down :confused:

Aw hun, it is hard and like you I thought what has any of this got to do with teaching nails/manicure etc? but when you are finally finished you will realise its relevance and be a better tutor.

keep going and keep posting:green::hug::hug:

thanks jmel your a star, to me a challange is something that makes it harder to learn ie a disability or dislexia or someone that cant hear too well so what you mean is say give one group headphones one group tape there arms up ect
Dont mean to sound dim but my head hurts :confused:

I attended a fab training day once. Dealing with learning difficulties. It was amazing we were put in real life scenarios with real people who had difficulties. It made me review my teaching skills somewhat that is for sure.
One of the things we did was roll up a piece of paper and talk really negatively in the learners ear whilst they were trying to listen to a lecture. It was awful. Imagine how many learners go through that.

Speaking from a personal point of view i did a course a couple of yrs ago and was coming to the end of it. I was going through a hellish split with my ex and going to college for me was a nightmare. I was'nt getting the course work in...i was doomed to fail and attending the class my mind just was't with it. Thats one real challenge and i certainly am not alone!

Waffle over! x

thanks guys, i know i will be good at it when i get in to teaching (if i can get a job that is) and all the way through this i have thought i dont need that bit , i wont do that, to start with i thought session/lesson plans wot a waste of time till i did one now i can see lots of things i will take on to my teaching role just the micro teach makes me feel sick :cry: because its some thing we have gone over in a lesson i dont want the others to think oh this again how dull i want to do something a bit diffrent.

Last edited:
definitely go for the 'doing something different'. I always used to make a point of surprising people and doing the unexpected. It really shines through and gets you noticed. I've done years of teaching and many presentations and now I automatically look for as far from the norm as possible. (Although you have to be good and cover the pertinent points lol). It's a fab strategy but scary and can be high risk. I always used to feel like I was flying by the seat of my pants. I am now a very experienced teacher and I have a comments book full of praise along the lines of unique style, different, engaging, makes it fun, easy to remember etc.

Don't be frightened to do it with your own spin, but for goodness sake tick all the boxes your tutor needs.

hth, Joy xx

what led you here? what is it about the industry you want to pass on? surely you can speak about that for 30mins - no offense but if you are still stuck maybe this isnt for you. I have often been put into a diff teaching class to cover and I dont fall apart - I can still get through the class without knowing a thing about/ very little about the subject. A colleague of mine gave me a few hours in her school when I finished and I had to teach A&P to massueses and I nearly fainted as I wasnt even prepared but I just turned it on the students and did a successful class.
You need to know everything you're being taught so please do not have an ignorant head on and think I wont do that - you are being taught it for a reason. Analyse what you have been taught - what questions does it bring up? what discussion would you liek to have with your classmates? this is a verbal job so get used to it

yes to talk about a industry i love for 30 mins easy peasy, but i cant, challenges to learning is what i have to teach, and we cant just talk for the full 30 mins. thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back