Micro teach via zoom help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyldn87

Reaction score
I’ve applied for a teaching position that requires me to do a 15 micro teach online. I am so nervous and if you guys have any tips on how I could adapt my micro teach for zoom that would be amazing.
The other issue is they have asked for this specific subject:

Introduction to pre blended massage.
Do I go into health and safety and contraindications in this short amount of time if it’s just the introduction? I am so confused!
Many thanks in advance!

Hi there
I remote teach and I can't say that I enjoy it BUT see this as a positive as you can have some keys notes scattered about that they won't see plus you will be in your home environment so should feel more at ease!
Prepare your area - ensure you have a quiet room where you wont be disturbed, have everything to had that you may need and clear any clutter. Have some water on standby (a good tactic if you need a few moments to gather youself have a sip).
Can you arrange a mock with a friend before the event? This will give you time to iron out any last minute glitches and do your timings?
Prepare a pre- teach research task that covers the consultation/h&s aspect that you could explain you would carry out prior to ensure that this knowledge was already in place - they understand you only get the 15 minutes so are not expecting you to cover this.

Create some slides (not overkill) - again this allows you a breather as they will be looking at your slides not you! Make the session as interactive as possible so that they do the work not you, include an interactive quiz at the end? Send the session notes/powerpoint prior to the zoom in case you have any technical difficulties then you can seamlessly ask them to refer to these without getting stressed and it wont stop your flow.

Set some tasks to follow up the session - sources of further research etc to link to the next part of the learning.

Make sure you create a decent background on zoom.

I always tend to write an introduction to my microteaches outlining the prior learning that would have taken place and how this session would fit into their learning journey - it just sets the scene and shows that you have acknowledges the consultation/H&S part. You can also include this in your lesson plan.

Relax and try to enjoy it, remember they will understand how difficult it is over zoom.

Please ensure you practice it a few times first to ensure you are fully prepared and I wish you the best of luck!

this is so so helpful, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me!

Re: going over contraindications
If you want to mention something, say something like 'the usual contraindications and considerations apply, as covered in the previous module 'Contraindications and Considerations' '. That shows you know they need to be covered, but you know not to repeat something in detail when it's been covered previously, plus it adds a bit of humour referencing an imaginary module :D

this is a fab idea. ive been asked to send over an excerpt of a scheme of work to show where the lesson plan fits so that's quite handy too!

Latest posts

Back