Microblading-how to structure payment if therapist wants to get trained?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riva

Reaction score
Hi all,

My therapist who's been with me for the past 2 years and likely to stay put; wants to train in microblading and semi-permanent make-up and offer it at my premises. In all honesty I'm not too keen on it as it seems like the best are those who do it all the time and also, it means that we have to do marketing- something we don't have time for (zero marketing at the moment and past 1.5 years); and a concern that it may simply be a 'trend' thing.
She's asked me to consider a couple of options:
  1. To pay for half of her training (I think I'd have to pay for all the consumables and machine)
  2. For her to train only for microblading at present (at her cost) and for me to pay for the machines/dyes (all consumables)
  3. to figure out a payment method that would work for both of us eg 60/40 split etc. No one has really discussed this yet.
My questions are- has anyone done this before and what is a fair way to go about it? I'm very fair to staff and want them to stay on. I consider her an asset to the business so don't mind supporting her in some ways but would prefer if I could at least break even within a decent period of time. I'd like her to feel listened to and supported. She has spoken about learning micro-pigmentation for years now. She's the only one I trust with my brows!

So is she 100% an employed member of staff or is she self employed?

It's a tricky one in my opinon because if she wants to do it you feel like you should support but likewise if your business and clientele aren't geared towards that treatment and you aren't going to focus on marketing it, it's going to cost you a lot for no reward.

So is she 100% an employed member of staff or is she self employed?

It's a tricky one in my opinon because if she wants to do it you feel like you should support but likewise if your business and clientele aren't geared towards that treatment and you aren't going to focus on marketing it, it's going to cost you a lot for no reward.

That's kinda like what I feel but its sort of gotten to the point where its going to happen- she's booked the microblading part of it- so have to think of all the finer points including policies/complaints etc. Perhaps a 30/70 split is more workable as she won't be bringing anyone in and we're in a Central London location- so very expensive rents.

That's kinda like what I feel but its sort of gotten to the point where its going to happen- she's booked the microblading part of it- so have to think of all the finer points including policies/complaints etc. Perhaps a 30/70 split is more workable as she won't be bringing anyone in and we're in a Central London location- so very expensive rents.
If I thought it wasn't right for my business I'd put my foot down and say "Nope. The business isn't going in that direction. If you want to go on the course, you can crack on but it won't be carried out in my salon and I'm not buying any machinery etc."

You have to think these are high-risk treatments and creates a big liability for your business - I hope you're a limited company! - but this is going to push up your insurance, if they cover it, and depending on your council in London, you may need a special treatment license and the associated costs of that as well. It's a lot to think about. Don't let your employee run your business.

If they're self-employed this is a different story of course.

I agree with BannerPenguin....
Looks a little like "she want's it - she's having it - and you're paying for it!!!!"

I think the treatment looks great, when it is done well, but it takes time to get good at these things, sadly too few take this on board.
They want/expect to be brilliant at it from the start!

If it goes wrong....boy does it go wrong....

If you yourself are not trained and competent in this treatment, how will you be able to address any complaints/issues should they arise.:oops:

Aside from the above, your insurance will go up...and you will need a special licence.
The cost to your business need's to be factored in and considered.:cool:

If she's itching to upskill and train in something new and you value keeping her happy, could introducing a different new treatment to the salon be an option?

I've been doing microblading over 3 years now, I'd say that unless she's super busy and confident in doing all manner of eyebrow treatments then she should really think hard about training. It's not just do a course then you can start doing them.it takes months of practice and then comes the responsibility of these clients for years down the line as they need top ups, different healing, different expectations too! X

Thanks for all the responses. Quite a lot to think about. She's self employed and so has her own insurance. Perhaps the way to go about it is for this to be on a rent a room basis. We are also a medical clinic so do invasive procedures already and set up for that- which is why I thought that this would be an add on. But perhaps to structure it in such a way that she will be responsible and not the clinic. She is very good and confident with regular brows but of course these things take time. Its given me quite a lot of fruit for thought. Thank you.

If she's itching to upskill and train in something new and you value keeping her happy, could introducing a different new treatment to the salon be an option?
She has spoken about this from get go. So its about the whole micropigmentation thing as opposed to something new. She's just in a more stable place now personally and ready for this ambition of hers.

Thanks for all the responses. Quite a lot to think about. She's self employed and so has her own insurance. Perhaps the way to go about it is for this to be on a rent a room basis. We are also a medical clinic so do invasive procedures already and set up for that- which is why I thought that this would be an add on. But perhaps to structure it in such a way that she will be responsible and not the clinic. She is very good and confident with regular brows but of course these things take time. Its given me quite a lot of fruit for thought. Thank you.
Is she's self-employed you pay for NOTHING in my opinion. It's her business, up to her to invest in her own machinery and training. All she is doing is using your space, you're just a landlord, nothing more. Everyone self-employed should be taking their own money already and not going through the business

just an add on the micro-pigmentation will require a level 4 certification in accordance to the jccp. Something else to think about. xoxo

just an add on the micro-pigmentation will require a level 4 certification in accordance to the jccp. Something else to think about. xoxo
She's already a level 4 so that's covered.

Is she's self-employed you pay for NOTHING in my opinion. It's her business, up to her to invest in her own machinery and training. All she is doing is using your space, you're just a landlord, nothing more. Everyone self-employed should be taking their own money already and not going through the business
Its probably going to go that way although I think she has problems with affordability of machines. We've been discussing this with her now and probably going on a profit share basis as the fairest approach where both parties are happy. But oh dear, I did not think this was going to take up so much of my time!!

Latest posts

Back