Microteach help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoealana

Reaction score
hiya as part of my ptlls teaching course i have to deliver a half hour teaching session to 6 people. i have decided that i will do nail art but needed help with ideas of simple things to do as they are all new to this subject. i thought it would fit in the hardee har har forum as the majority of my 'students' are going to be men who are builders and carpenters:lol:

I did nail art for my micro-teach,
i took in 2 boards with designs on, from basic art to advanced, so they could all see the possibilities,
i did a demo on one person (just one nail) totally different from any design on the boards to show it can be made up as you go along,

took in lots of different coloured enamels and nail art striper pens, 3 nail tips for each person, and made up small snap bags for each person that contained all sorts of bits and bats for nail art,

after watching the demo and listening to the talk at the same time as the demo they all picked what colours they wanted to use and a snap bag each and had to go and do 3 designs of their own,
i walked around the class advising and encouraging while they did their designs,
i had men in my class too and theirs were the best designs :lol:,
hth :hug:

One of the best micro teaching sessions I have seen was the simplest idea in the world.

The lady split the class of 12 into three groups and gave each group an object and from that object each group had to come up with a story involving that object. So simple and the 20 minutes flew by.

make sure that your lesson has clear learning outcomes that are explicitly stated on your lesson plan. Don't try to cram in too much half an hour is a very short period of time. make sure the learning that takes place is ACTIVE...and that you are using stimulus variation as a strategy.

Hope that helps,good luck
Sarah

i was thinking of taking in my colour pops to show designs, give a handout with different types of nail art ie embedded, leaves, 3d etc and then set up pa table with pre painted tips and lots of sparkles, paints etc and let them make some designs. would that be ok???

do you have access to any ILT...or even a data projector?

was going to check with my tutor to see can we use powerpoint for a presentation so i can give a copy of it as my print out to the students
just lacking confidence i think

yes...might be easier for your 'students' to see your designs on a large screen.

just have so much to do but will be ok. need to do a list of stuff i need. any ideas anyone how to set out the nail art stuff for them to use as i have a brush and dotter for everyone and hopefully top coat for everyone. thought little paint pallets or dishes for the gems and glitter???

Remember 30 minutes goes so quick and by the time you have gone through your aim and objectives, the time will be ticking already. Try not to do anything to complicated, keep it simple and straight to the point. If you have use of powerpoint, add a interactive game or maybe a video clip of someone doing nail art. Try to involve some individaul, pair and group work into the 30 minutes and rememeber to recap the objectives at the end.

Hope this is a bit of help Leah x :)

thanks leah. i will let you all know how it goes. feel free to throw any ideas my way

Thats ok hun!! What are your objectives for the session? ill have a little think for you x x

to teach a group of students how to do simple nail art such as flicks, gems, etc. i will also show other nail art

I know you are thinking down the nail art line, but just as a possible alternative option i did my course teach on colour theory. It went really well, i gave out mixing palettes with the primary shades on and colour wheels, then did the theory side of things by power point, demo'd one mix and then the class all put together terrtiary shades with there colour palettes and primary samples. I pre did laminated sheets for them to paint into boxes the colours they used so this was there processing of the info etc.
I found that it gave a fun, interactive session and it was simple basic knowledge for beginners.
Good luck with whichever subject you pick.
x

you have received some great replies, I would add:

practice out loud, you feel a bit daft but what takes 2 mins in your head often takes 10 in real time.

Do NOT add anything in on the spur of the moment, I did and went over my time

Try and fit in a very quick Q&A session at the end ( before going over your objectives)

Enjoy writing up your reflective thoughts!!:green:

good luck, let us know how you get on :hug:

thanks for all your great advice. just sorted out most of my bits and bobs for the actual practical. gonna have a go at a powerpoint presentation and got to do my session plan once my tutor puts it online for us.

Powerpoint is really easy to use hun and you can make really effective presentations with it. I use it all the time teaching. Make sure u write your objectives on it, and all tasks you are going to do with the group! When is your micro teach hun? :)x x

just done my powerpoint could do with opinions on it with it being my first. my micro teach is sometime on saturday. feel ok about it but may have a heart attack during it

Will be thinking about you honey! I'm on week four of my PTTLS course, so my microteach is just around the corner....I know exactly how you feel! Hope you manage to get plenty of practice this week and let us know how you get on....wishing you loads of luck :)

Sarah x

thanks fufa, we have only done 3 sessions and our 4th and 5th (the last) are our microteach
if you need any help pm me

Latest posts

Back