Might lose client :0(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audreyduff

Reaction score
I'm feeling pretty crap about this and kind of just want it off my chest. Now a pretty regular client (for tans) mainly, held a pamper party 2 weeks ago and I'm just new to shellac so I offered it for just £10 at the party thinking would be a good way for people to try it. So only 2 got it in end the hostess and her friend hostess got tutti fruit and friends got s smoothie. Now both looked perfect to me but as I say new to it but told them how to look after it etc, neither of them wanted to buy pinkie of solar oil and I wasn't giving it free since was only charging £10! Anyway 3 days later I start getting facebook messages from hostess saying it's chipping and looks awful, iwas bit gobzmacked so I said I could come and redo for her she said no as she didn't have any time or for me to take them off, so I advised her to then get acetone and what to do etc. Anyway days passed nothing so I assumed she took them off then end of that week almost week after she got them done she texts me from her work at lunchtime going mad saying she has a meeting to hold in 2 hours and she can't get the bloody nails off so I was confused what did she want me to do??? I just replied nicely etc but she wasn't happy. Then she had spray tans booked in for Thursday just passed and I just had that feeling she would cancel and yep sure enough she did on Thursday morning saying she had to work late and end if text was saying oh and I eventually got the bloody nails off and now my nails are a state! This made me so angry then she carried on oh and my friend was disappointed with hers too thought they were crap! No reason as to why she didn't Like them. It makes me so angry, one I never got chance to see them to see if they were chipped or not! I offered numerous times to cone take them off for free and redo for free but no she wouldn't have it, what else was I supposed to do??? I've had good feedback from plenty others so it makes me furious to be spoken to like this and she was a good regular client before and I doubt she will come back now after this, knocked my confidence a bit. Oh I'm a mobile therapist too! Phew it's off my chest now :0)

I think it was very nasty of her to do that to you. I absolutely hate the way clients hide behind texts and facebook. They think they can say what they want to us, that they would never usually say to us in person.

Well, you know what I'd do??... ring her!!

You have done nothing wrong here, remember that and you think you've lost her anyway as a client, so you have absolutely nothing to lose here.

Ring and explain to her that the reason her nails are in bits now is because she didn't have them professionally removed etc. (she may have pulled them off before her meeting) I'd even be cheeky and ask her if she'd like a Manicure.

By ringing her, you'll be taking control back and you will get rid of that horrible crappy feeling that you have... she won't be rude to you over the phone, wait and see and it will make you feel a hell of a lot better.

You're new to Shellac and it's just a little teething problem, that's all. Shellac doesn't chip unless clients do something to make them chip... OK you may have just applied a little too thickly, but she never gave you the chance to rectify the problem, so you'll never know now.

Don't let her knock your confidence :hug:

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance can you please tell me what a pamper party involves.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Excuse my ignorance can you please tell me what a pamper party involves.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Pamper parties are were you would have a group of people in someone's house and would do a few different treatments, usually tan, nails and make up.

You did what you could/should have done. In my experience you have to be quite firm with people like this. Some people just try it on. You told them they should use Solar Oil, you told her you would re-do them (which I wouldn't have done without seeing them), you told her you would remove them which she refused and you told her how to remove them properly which she didn't do and left it until the last minute. I don't have a facebook page but I wouldn't be discussing anything like this via facebook or text. I try to avoid texting as much as possible. I think when you tell clients about a new product and that you are discounting it because you haven't been doing it very long just leaves the door open for people to take advantage and complain. I think you should either be confident in what you are offering and at full price or offer a special price but don't tell clients it's on offer because it's new and you are new to it e.t.c. Personally I don't think Shellac needs to be discounted to get people to try it. I wear it all the time and when people see my nails they want it. It sounds to me like she isn't the sort of client that you want to keep anyway, these clients are more hassle than they are worth. Chin up xx

Hi, Why don't you type out a leaflet stating how to look after your Shellac nails to hand out to your clients which you can then tick off on your client's record card as receiving it.

There is always going to be at least one nasty person out there who will try it on. Do not let them get to you. We are all professionals doing our best as is you!!:hug:

Last edited:
Hiya,

Sorry to hear about what has happened. As mentioned above I would firstly do an after care sheet to give to each new client who has shellac. Why not cost into the treatment as solar oil pinkie that way the client has one and won't (hopefully!) complain about the cost of it on top of the treatment price.

I would (personally) offer a special offer to gain practice on the treatment but I would explain that it is new to your treatment list and that is why it is cheaper than usual, also make those having the treatment aware of the cost it will be after the special offer ends and always have dates for it to run from and to.

With regard to this client, why not (like others have suggested) give her a ring and discuss it with her. I don't believe you will be able to do anything without having a discussion with her and then you can choose what you would like to do!

Hope this helps

Em :)

An*gel...I love your thinking! I agree, phone her up and just explain your side to her. Do not let her make u feel low, u offered her lots of options, u couldn't do anymore.

Chin up.xxx

I totally agree with what everyone else has said. I hate it when people make you feel bad about yourself. I think phoning her is a great idea, as said before, you are then taking charge of the situation again, and it will make you feel better. Chin up and ignore ignorant people. :hug:

Also, it might help <if you decide to phone her> to write yourself a little list of key points you want to raise in your defence. Have it in front of you when you speak to her, as it's easy to lose your nerve a little and get flustered at the time. :hug:

You did what you could/should have done. In my experience you have to be quite firm with people like this. Some people just try it on. You told them they should use Solar Oil, you told her you would re-do them (which I wouldn't have done without seeing them), you told her you would remove them which she refused and you told her how to remove them properly which she didn't do and left it until the last minute. I don't have a facebook page but I wouldn't be discussing anything like this via facebook or text. I try to avoid texting as much as possible. I think when you tell clients about a new product and that you are discounting it because you haven't been doing it very long just leaves the door open for people to take advantage and complain. I think you should either be confident in what you are offering and at full price or offer a special price but don't tell clients it's on offer because it's new and you are new to it e.t.c. Personally I don't think Shellac needs to be discounted to get people to try it. I wear it all the time and when people see my nails they want it. It sounds to me like she isn't the sort of client that you want to keep anyway, these clients are more hassle than they are worth. Chin up xx

This is a brilliant post and spot on advice and information. Firstly you de-valued Shellac by offering it so dirt cheap ... Shellac does not need to be de-valued like this in order to introduce the service to clients. Secondly, no ones nails are trashed or in bits if the client has removed Shellac incorrectly ... A good manicure will sort the nails out. For sure incorrect removal will not leave an ideal smooth nail surface, but it won't trash the natural nails either.

Thank you all so much for your advice and comments, really did make me feel better and yes you are all right I will be charging full price stop people taking advantage. I've even booked myself into fingertips for shellac troubleshooting to make sure I'm tip top but as I say I've got other shellac clients with no problems, so it says it all really. Again thanks ladies x

Sadly, not all people are nice, and you seem to have found one of the many nasty ones. I think you should call the lady concerned and ask if she would like to discuss the situation with you. If she does, all well and good, but if not, you will only have lost a client who will give you trouble after every treatment, so not a great loss really. Cheer up :)

Reading this what went through my mind was that the client was stressed about her business meeting and you were an easy target, the final text from her was after the meeting and I'm guessing someone really munched her.
She behaved like a snappy dog and turned on you:eek:
If anyone could chip Shelac it would be my daughter and no she went a whole two weeks with out a scratch, but a picker, yep, pick or bite and of course you'll ruin it. As for the catty comment about her friend not likeing it, could the friend not speak for herself?
Move on hun, she won't go long with out her tan, they never do, and then it's your turn.:lol:

Hi,
Don't waste another minute on this client. She sounds like a fruit-loop diva !
You told her how to remove the Shellac, offered to come and do it for her, initially charged her about half the average price, offered to re-do it for free..............and she still isn't happy. YOU know the product lasts on others and if you're sure that your application was OK, you've nothing to worry about. Forget her !

I'm feeling pretty crap about this and kind of just want it off my chest. Now a pretty regular client (for tans) mainly, held a pamper party 2 weeks ago and I'm just new to shellac so I offered it for just £10 at the party thinking would be a good way for people to try it. So only 2 got it in end the hostess and her friend hostess got tutti fruit and friends got s smoothie. Now both looked perfect to me but as I say new to it but told them how to look after it etc, neither of them wanted to buy pinkie of solar oil and I wasn't giving it free since was only charging £10! Anyway 3 days later I start getting facebook messages from hostess saying it's chipping and looks awful, iwas bit gobzmacked so I said I could come and redo for her she said no as she didn't have any time or for me to take them off, so I advised her to then get acetone and what to do etc. Anyway days passed nothing so I assumed she took them off then end of that week almost week after she got them done she texts me from her work at lunchtime going mad saying she has a meeting to hold in 2 hours and she can't get the bloody nails off so I was confused what did she want me to do??? I just replied nicely etc but she wasn't happy. Then she had spray tans booked in for Thursday just passed and I just had that feeling she would cancel and yep sure enough she did on Thursday morning saying she had to work late and end if text was saying oh and I eventually got the bloody nails off and now my nails are a state! This made me so angry then she carried on oh and my friend was disappointed with hers too thought they were crap! No reason as to why she didn't Like them. It makes me so angry, one I never got chance to see them to see if they were chipped or not! I offered numerous times to cone take them off for free and redo for free but no she wouldn't have it, what else was I supposed to do??? I've had good feedback from plenty others so it makes me furious to be spoken to like this and she was a good regular client before and I doubt she will come back now after this, knocked my confidence a bit. Oh I'm a mobile therapist too! Phew it's off my chest now :0)

Chin up hun, plenty of good advice from the geeks. One lesson I'v learned if they dont pay full wack they dont follow after care advice then tend to blame you or the product. shellac isnt indistructable but lasts fantastically if followed with the right after care.

If you need to practice use good friends or family, I use my sister and daughter all the time, that way if I have any teething probs i can rectify before i unleash my self on clients.

Its only a mistake if you dont learn from it:hug:

Latest posts

Back