Mineral Makeup question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDs

Curly Hair Geek
Reaction score
I am just getting into mineral makeup for myself and bought some but found that it makes my skin look like I put on a bronzer. It leaves my skin shiny and highlighted looking. Is this normal for mineral makeup or are there types out there that are more matte looking?
As the day wears on, my skin becomes very oily shiny looking. I use tissues to blot but the shine is still there. :(

I am just getting into mineral makeup for myself and bought some but found that it makes my skin look like I put on a bronzer. It leaves my skin shiny and highlighted looking. Is this normal for mineral makeup or are there types out there that are more matte looking?
As the day wears on, my skin becomes very oily shiny looking. I use tissues to blot but the shine is still there. :(

Great question honey, I too have this problem with shiny looking skin after a few hours. Look forward to hearing about his one;) x

I use Corn silk translucent pressed powder and it absorbs shine all day for me. Not sure about this mineral makeup I have heard a lot about it but not yet tried any for myself. I look forward to other answers on this one.

What are you using? I sometimes use ID bare minerals & it gives a very natural finish. They have a settting powder for after the foundation that leaves my skin matte all day.

Would you say that your skin is normally oily or does it just appear that way when wearing the make up? Also, you can get different finishes with the mineral foundations. Is yours a shimmer or matte one?

I have recently started wearing Lilylolo and after I apply the foundation I then apply a light cover of their finishing powder. So far I have had no shine problems at all, just lovely soft natural looking skin.

Also are you making sure your moisturiser is fully sinking into your skin before applying?

Are you applying in round circles with a brush?

Is it a matt finish powder? (some people like the shine finish)

Is it good quality mineral makeup?

As pure said are ou quite oily? - if so then try applying a matt moisturiser as well.

Are you using a finishing powder?

How mnay layers are you applying - you may need more coverage.

becki xxx

I used to get this when I first started using it because I was applying to much, the key thing with mineral make up is that less is more.

If you have an oily skin anyway then depending on the range that you are using they should have something to help with this. I use Jane Iredale & they have several products that help prevent shine & can be used under or over the minerals. hths

I do have normal skin. I use to have normal to oily but due the age factor, it isn't quite as oily as it use to be.

My first purchase of mineral makeup is Physicians formula. It doesn't say whether it is a matte or shimmer/shiny finish. but by looking at my face afterwards, i am going to say that it is not matte.;)

I do use a loose finishing powder.Doesn't even touch the shiny/bronze look

I am allowing my moisturizer to soak in before applying. And if I have any extra moisturizer lying on my skin, i take a kleenex and lightly blot before applying my mineral foundation.

Applying in a circle does what compared to applying with say a sponge type applicator?

Once I apply it, i have tried everything to get it to go matte. I mean I look like a Bronzer Queen gone bad. :lol:Seriously!
And trying to just wipe it off?..no way! got to wash it off. Love the holding power of it.

I even tried using my liquid makeup over the top of it just to matte it a bit with no results.

I have heard alot about ID bare essentials.
Here is the Big Question and what drove me to buy in a store first...

How do you know what shade to order?

Thank you for all the replies , you are helping a frustrated soul immensely.:hug:

i use lily lolo and all the make up is powder based - if ure's i too then are you using a sponge to apply a powder?

with lily lolo i rang up and described my skin and they advised me on which one - they got it bang on!!

I ahvent used physicians formula so i cant comment on it - maybe another geek can.

What made you try mineral makeup?
becki x

Hi Becki,
Yes I am using a sponge applicator that came with the makeup. It is attached to the container and you shake it a bit and the makeup comes out the sponge. I tried a brush also and got the same over bronzy look. I think it is the makeup but it doesn't state on there that it a "shiny, bronze, metallic" base.
So how can you tell the difference between a bronze base and a matte base?
That sounds like a really silly question but when I was looking at them, they all had the "mineral" "metallic" look to them. :(

Lily lolo is in the UK? do they have a state based company?

I kept hearing everyone rave about mineral makeup. At work, clients, and then coming here, mineral makeup seems to be the buzz word in makeup. Better for your skin (which what I am all about) less chemicals being absorbed.

I'm just starting to do the swap to mineral make up and am really impressed so far. I would suggest that you call the company you purchased the make up from, explain your problem and they will either give you advice or might even offer to exchange it for you.

If you do call them let me know how you get on.

If you want to take a look at the Lilylolo range here is a link to their site :

Mineral Cosmetics | Mineral Foundations | Mineral Powders | Mineral Makeup » LilyLolo

Theres lots of good general info about mineral make up on there too.

hth:hug:

thanks Pure.
Okay, I am going to ask THE question.
I am not looking for what is wrong with the other products.
I want a honest comparison of these two products.

Lily lolo

and

Id bare essentials

I am makeup stupid. LOL so if you skin geeks can give a good comparison. Just the facts please?

lol not make up stupid at all. In fact I can't answer for you because I haven't tried ID Bare Esenctuals either. :lol: I'm sure others can though.

I used to get this when I first started using it because I was applying to much, the key thing with mineral make up is that less is more.

If you have an oily skin anyway then depending on the range that you are using they should have something to help with this. I use Jane Iredale & they have several products that help prevent shine & can be used under or over the minerals. hths

Totally agree with this comment.

i agree with pure ring the company.

I have only used lily lolo - but have a friend who LOVES id she wouldnt touch anything else!

So there is a diff between mineral makeups..some are bronzy and some aren't?
I applied my makeup today very very lightly and still came up with the bronze look (shiny metallic) LOL i look like I should be dressing up for halloween. LOL

I didn't use any moisturizers today except around the eyes and I haven't gotten too oily ,so problem solved there. I moisturize really good at night and now won't in the morning. Thank you for that clue. I always get the t-zone shine but with over moisturizing I was getting the oily, shiny all over.

Is mineral makeup suppose to be moisturizing also?
Thank you all for the answers. You have helped a newbie in the market for a good mineral makeup.

I want a honest comparison of these two products.

Lily lolo

and

Id bare essentials

So there is a diff between mineral makeups..some are bronzy and some aren't?

I didn't use any moisturizers today except around the eyes and I haven't gotten too oily , I always get the t-zone shine but with over moisturizing I was getting the oily, shiny all over.

Is mineral makeup suppose to be moisturizing also?
Thank you all for the answers. You have helped a newbie in the market for a good mineral makeup.

I can't compare those brands either, as I have only used bare essentials and cozmetic lab, but I haven't had a problem with either.

Mineral makeups come in all different colours and finishes, I'm wondering if maybe you've got the wrong shade for your skin.

Are you using the right moisturiser for your skin type?
I have oily skin too. I always use a moisturiser. I've found mineral makeup the best for my skin because I am very prone to breakouts. Whenever I wear makeup I breakout, but I never have that problem with mineral makeup.

Hi Bernadette,
I might have gotten a shimmer/bronzing but the color seems good. When I apply it I don't have a line between my face and neck. That's good right? Although I do blend down under the jawline.
I think I was moisturizing too much. I go to bed with a moisturizing pak on my face, a mixture of Aloe, moisturizer and a little bit of solaroil around my eyes. Then I would get up in the morning and lightly rinse my face and apply a clay moisturzing mask for 10 mins, then rinse that off and apply moisturizer on ,letting that absorb then my foundation.
Today, I skipped the full moisturizer on my face and just applied it around my eyes. It is now in the evening and my face still isn't oily! YipEE!!!!

I also did the brush, tap, buff with the mineral makeup. It seemed to go on a bit better but still left a "bronzy shine" I am thinking that I may have been just applying it to the surface only therefore maybe getting it on too heavy? by buffing it into the skin, it seems "blend " into the skin.
A big thank you to everyone who helped solve this mystery.
jayne~

Latest posts

Back