Minimum age for gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah-Nail Tech

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I have a client who had Gelish a couple of weeks ago and has rebooked for her holiday. Her daughter also really wants them done too but I think she is only 6 or 7. Is there a minimum age you would recommend? I have said it shouldn't be a problem as a one off but said I wanted to check first x

Hi.
If it were me, I would do it. Like you said, as a one off, and it's for a bit of a special occasion. It doesn't damage the nail at all, I used to beg my mum at that age to paint my nails pink so I think it'd be a nice treat for her.
I used to do a ladies acrylic nails and I fills every two weeks, and at every appt she would hint and sometimes outright ask if I could put enhancements on her little girls nails. She was 8 and I used to cringe and refuse everytime she asked.
Good luck! X

Personally I would offer a standard varnish instead. My niece is 6 and there is no way I'd apply gel to her nails, they are so delicate and thin and one mistake could permanently damage them as they are more easily affected this young. It's true that gelish when applied properly doesn't damage the nail at all, but you need to consider your audience. Children pick for a start so she'd probably pull them off while away of they lifted and have no nail plate left. Also cuticle work needs to be kept to a minimum as the risk of infection in kids is higher so you wouldn't be able to apply it properly. I'm doing my sister I laws gels for her holiday and she is bringing little Molly with her an I am going to give her a lovely manicure with a scrub and mask and she's going to sit there in my salon like little lady and she will love it even though it's just a polish and not gels, I think your clients daughter would be the same.

Check with your insurance company first.

My daughters are 13 and 6. The eldest had her first gel polish application for her 13th birthday. She now has it done for school holidays. No matter how much my little one pesters me, she too will wait until she is 13.

I personally do not agree with putting any kind of enhancement onto a child's nails. They can't be expected to sit through application and then take correct care of their nails. Besides, tiny nails are so fragile at that age.

I use vinylux, and my youngest wears this for school holidays and gets a good 4-5 days, in dries super fast, and is removed with non acetone remover.

Mind you, I'm one of those mums that doesn't have a problem saying no!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for the replies. I think she wants the colour changing gel as that's what her mum had last time and she loved it. Difficult situation :-/ xx

Whatever happened to children being children? A little pink sparkle in regular polish is a lovely treat but I don't see the need for gel polish on children. They will more than likely pick it off and ruin their nails. I would offer a kids mani, quick file, polish, cuticle oil and a little hand massage - kids love that kinda stuff but I doubt a child as young as 6 is going to appreciate the fact it's a 14+ Day gel polish and definitely won't follow the aftercare lol x

Lol that's what I am worried about! Her picking it off if it starts to lift and damaging her nails. I think I will say no to gel but will happily paint with normal polish and add sparkles and gems xx

Lol that's what I am worried about! Her picking it off if it starts to lift and damaging her nails. I think I will say no to gel but will happily paint with normal polish and add sparkles and gems xx

If the mother becomes insistent or awkward tell her your insurance won't cover you for under 16's.

I have a client who has gel polish every two weeks and her daughter is 6, she asks for her nails to be done during the school holidays. I always use standard nail polish on her but my uv lamp has a fan in it and so instead of turning on the uv lamp i put her hands under the fan after painting and she loves this as it is just like mummys.

You ought to have a standard policy for this, one that reflects the recommendations of the manufacturers' whose products you use, the recommendations of your professional associations and (very important!) your insurance company - and of course, your own philosophy. The manufacturers and their associations clearly state that enhancements, including gel polish, should not be used on children. We can debate where that line ought to be drawn, but 14-16 is reasonable; 6-7 is not.

But deciding not to do gel on children isn't the end of the road. You can and should offer lots of other options to satisfy mom and daughter. You can even match mom's polish to daughter's - a lot of Gelish colors are available as rnp in the Morgan Taylor line. Glitter, fades, ombre, stamping are all great options for kids.

It's the first time I have been asked to do a child's nails so wasn't sure. It's a friend anyway and sure she will be fine. I did think it was too young and think my minimum age would be 14 but will also check my insurance to make sure. I have been looking at vinylux as an alternative anyway. Can someone tell me, is this just applied like a normal polish but has longer wear? Also do you need to use a base coat or is it just 2colour coats & top? And no, I'm not trained with CND so please don't shoot me here! Just asking!! Xx

It's the first time I have been asked to do a child's nails so wasn't sure. It's a friend anyway and sure she will be fine. I did think it was too young and think my minimum age would be 14 but will also check my insurance to make sure. I have been looking at vinylux as an alternative anyway. Can someone tell me, is this just applied like a normal polish but has longer wear? Also do you need to use a base coat or is it just 2colour coats & top? And no, I'm not trained with CND so please don't shoot me here! Just asking!! Xx

Why would anyone shoot you for not using CND products before now? :)

Vinylux doesn't require base coat, but a lot of threads on here have found staining to the nail plate (possibly on dry or damaged nails, possibly not). Some people have overcome this by using a sheer colour first, but then that's just like using a base coat, so defeats the object of it not needed, but solves the staining problems some are having.
Some people also find it really hard to remove and some don't. The longer it's on, the harder it will become to remove, but you're not doing toes so that shouldn't be an issue for you.
You also have to be really quick painting it and load the brush adequately to paint the nail in one go (but don't we anyway?) Float the brush over the nail to avoid streaks and patches. Also make sure you shake the polish but not the top coat.

If you remember all of that you should be fine. :)

Why would anyone shoot you for not using CND products before now? :)

Vinylux doesn't require base coat, but a lot of threads on here have found staining to the nail plate (possibly on dry or damaged nails, possibly not). Some people have overcome this by using a sheer colour first, but then that's just like using a base coat, so defeats the object of it not needed, but solves the staining problems some are having.
Some people also find it really hard to remove and some don't. The longer it's on, the harder it will become to remove, but you're not doing toes so that shouldn't be an issue for you.
You also have to be really quick painting it and load the brush adequately to paint the nail in one go (but don't we anyway?) Float the brush over the nail to avoid streaks and patches. Also make sure you shake the polish but not the top coat.

If you remember all of that you should be fine. :)

Thank you! I thought people might shoot me down by saying I have to be 'adequately trained' with CND to use this etc etc as I have noticed before on other threads that is the first comment to come up!

Seems simple enough, might have to start saving and invest then :) thank you xx

Little late to this, but I have a 7 year old and would never dream of putting gel on her finger nails. She has polish frequently in school holidays though. But school holidays only.

I would never do gels on kids either, but do have two girls in for manicures on Friday, who are going to be bridesmaids on saturday, little bit of pink sparkle!

Have you considered MINX?
I have two 13 (and a bit) year old nieces who are on winter holidays ATM, one of them got her nails done yesterday and woring out a time with other SIL to do my other niece's nails.
The one who got her nails done went CND Shellac in tutti frutti and MINX "party" pedicure, but my sister in law was probably more relaxed about the idea of the shellac as she has a friend who's 13 year old gets acrylic! :|
As long as it gets taken off before school mum doesn't have a issue with it, but 13 she probably appreciates 14 days chip free wear a bit more lol - it was a bit of a school holiday treat

Thank you! I thought people might shoot me down by saying I have to be 'adequately trained' with CND to use this etc etc as I have noticed before on other threads that is the first comment to come up!

Seems simple enough, might have to start saving and invest then :) thank you xx

The Polished Nail day that is offered uses Vinylux but my day didn't really go into how to use it, more about how polish is made up. I would love to attend a day that actually covers precision polishing and precision PEP for the ultimate finish. I do agree with threads that advocate product training to get the best out of them, especially Shellac as there are so many people applying and removing in a generic way and then having problems.

I think V is a very good suggestion for the little ones as it dries so quickly. Maybe the Mothers are seeing all the consumer gel polish products on the shelves in the high street and are thinking that it's no big deal. It's up to us to educate and promote what is best for the nails we are presented with along with the lifestyle of our clients, no matter their age. If the Mother was engaging in the same activities as the child does, would we advocate Shellac, Gelish or whatever? Or if their nails were the same condition?
I'm generalising I know, but I don't think there is a need for a young child to have anything hardier than a standard polish.

Latest posts

Back