Minx Vs Nail Art Vs Digital Printers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have something that has been bothering me for a while,
whenever the words 'digital printer' are mentioned in this industry a swarm of Minx techs pop up everywhere.

Years ago when the TV was invented I imagine a similar worry spread across those working in radio, as it happened video did not kill the radio star.

I predict the same with our industry, techs who love nail art will all always want to freehand, Minx techs will always swear by this nail armour, and there will soon be techs who rave about their printer machines.

There are enough nails in this world (and they are not running out either) for us all to apply whichever method we prefer.

Don't be afraid of the unknown, variety is the spice of life - be confident in what you do and if you do it well, well do I really need to finish this sentence.

Share your opinion?

Last edited:
Huh?

Anyhoo, Digital printers have been around for yonks in the industry and still havent taken off (mainly because if the price I assume). Not sure how you can really compare the two.

@jewel-not-tools
Don't worry - you know what you're doing. Only good things are being said about Minx, be excited not worried :)

@The Geek
The 2?
Your comment justifies my statement of what happens when printers are spoken about - there are 3 different methods mentioned above.

Nail art has been around the longest there is a wonderful element to this free-style, Minx are fantastic because they look great and nail printers are perfect for techs that aren't so artistic or have a high-turn over of clients.
In regards to how long they've been on the market, yes they have been around for a while but like all technology they have improved over time, - it is only now that they are at an acceptable level to be used in salons.

Professionals in the industry may know about these printers but on the whole the general public does not yet - also the latter are both expensive, but remember so are manhours :wink2:

I don't see why you are implying that anyone is 'worried' about digital printers. How silly. Why should it bother you anyway unles you are in fact selling them?

I'm a nail technician .. it makes far more sense to me to keep it simple where nail art is concerned. Minx is very simple and not expensive. And I generate a big return with them. I don't need to use base coats or top coats nor any type of remover when changing the design. I use MINX mainly on toes because there still is virtually no call for nail art on all 10 fingernails, and people won't pay for it.

It would take me forever to pay back the cost of a machine from the services it provides (I pay for minx at every service and generate the profit to buy more) ... I have heard this from techs who have bought machines and they haven't ever paid for it through service and it sits in a cupboard.

As for your comments above re minx being mentioned every time a machine is mentioned I can only say that that is pretty unsubstantiated. First of all, machines aren't mentioned here on the geek site much at all and secondly Minx are new and only been around for a short while.

I suspect your motives being here on this site. Your profile says you are not a nail professional .. so why are you here?

Last edited:
Well why not a machine for me?
A machine can break, and I wouldn't have a clue how to do my then advertised servie without it (and couldn't afford another as a backup)
With my freehand art it's quick and easy to choose and I can mix between my designs, I don' have to choose one particulraly (sp?)
Regarding Minx I don't have it yet, but about to buy, it's easy fast and as far as I can tell longlasting, you don't have to lay out a lot of money at first, so I can just save up for new designs and don' have a debt (oh why can't I spell today, sorry folks) to begin with.
This way I have the better of it, and my nailart customers that wants special art gets it, and the ones wanting a fun design would get Minxed.

And by the way hun, I have never seen a swarm of Minx techs popping up whenever the printer is mentioned, thats such a weird comment.... :)

You are trying to compare the nail printers you sell to TV while comparing Minx to the Radio.

Thats just a silly comparison. Especially considering Minx is about a year old (not even that outside of the USA) and Nail Printers have been on the scene for about a decade. After 10 years I honestly don't know of any professionals using Printers profitably. That isn't to say that there aren't, it is to say that after 10 years they are the least talked about 'revolution' that I have seen on this site which would make me suspect the return on investment. I am sure there have been improvements, I am sure they are better than ever. However if they were the next 'TV', wouldn't we be hearing a lot more about it other than from people that sell them?

So while I like the engaging debate, I guess I get naturally skeptical of someone who sells nail printers registering and starting a thread about how Minx ('the radio') users shouldn't feel threatened about Printers ('TV') killing them off.

HTHs ;)

Well Ive not even heard of printers being talked about.....says it all really!!! :lol::lol:

The thing with nail printers is as Sam has written they have been around for yonks and are highly expensive for what they do.
I prefer to do my own nail art or have minx as an option but as far as nail printers go I would never buy one.

A nailprinter would have to be in use 24/7 for me to be able to recoupe my investment.
Nail art is a very small % of my income, Minx is perfect for that, small outlay for a good return.
Nail Printers have been around much longer than Minx, they have made a a huge impact on earnings for Technicians..... I am still waiting for the same reports on Nail printers....and there is also the mobility factor. Minx goes where I go, cant say the same for a printer... unless they have invented a dinky mobile version and with dinky I mean the size of a pencil case, that I can slip in my kit bag, like I do with my Minx kit.
But each to their own, I just feel that its just not for me....I am not afraid of the unknown but as a business woman I want to know that I am earning money for my time and not spending my earning potential time, dusting off my hardly ever used machine.....
JMHO

I'd never heard of nail printers too and having looked at them now I can't see why???? Firstly I know I'd rather less than £150 start-up for Minx against nearly £1000! Secondly, I can't image they could do anything as dramatic as silver/gold lightning! and thirdly - my home printer is always breaking down so I wouldn't want to rely on a nail printer. At least with Minx the only thing that can break down is the lamp (Oh -and me of course!!!:lol:)

I have no clue what any of you are talking about, but I do love all the Inspector Clouseaus we have on the site!
Ain't no flies on Geeg and Sam!

I didnt even know what a nail printer was till i clicked on this thread!!

Unless they were extremely cheap I would have thought Minx is a more popular service. Delievery is next day, profit margins are good, easy service, good selection of designs and they last longer.

I brought a nail printer ages ago. It's so bad it never made it into my salon!

Firstly the client spends ages trying to pick one of hundreds of designs. Then you have to apply 2 or 3 base coats (each with 10 min drying time:irked:). When they eventually get their hands in the machine there's only a 50% it'll work OK, so you may have to do it again. Then the top coat (more drying time) and hope it doesn't wash off the first time they put their hands in water:lol:.

I haven't yet tried Minx, but it looks so easy compared to my printer.

Jes

I have been using my nail printer for about 2 months now...even though it cost me around $1600, I have almost paid it off. My clients love it and this last generation of machines are easy to use and really work perfectly. So all you naysayers just enjoy what you use and this is just another great alternative. The company where I purchased it has videos and a few different machines so if you want..check them out. ELEGANT LASERS INC. BEAUTY EQUIPMENT DISTRIBUTORS

the printer seem more hassle than they are worth and people like the experience of having a "creation" on their nails art is about imagination and creation not printed pictures well thats my opinion anyway lol

I get the impression I have been misunderstood here, regardless of that thanks to all. I did ask for your opinions.

All I can say is WOW for minx,,,all my customers are blown away. Love it it's so versatile and predictable. Since I have been supplying it to my clients, they just love it. xxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
We all respect our opinions, after all that is why we are all here. However variety is the spice of life and I like to offer my clients any alternative out there, and this seems to be an up and coming trend, so why be close minded?

Latest posts

Back