Minx - what left me feeling quite shocked

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've done my Minx course and really enjoyed it, since then I have been minxing away! However the other day I did a set of Minx on a new set of Acrylics (thankfully my daughters), my colleague did the cuticle work, Acrylics etc and left them rough so I could apply the Minx and I've got to say they looked amazing. Unfortunately they did not stay that way, within a day they started to come off!!

I've phoned the Co. I did the course with and they told me that it was nothing I had done wrong they just don't last long on finger nails!! I did say not even 1 day and they said "probably not no".

Surley this cannot be right, I'm thinking they've fobbed me off.

So any of you advanced / experienced Minxers out there who can offer advice I would really appreciate it and I don't mind the critisism - what have I done wrong???

Thank you:confused:

Minx really do not last on hands. Everyone is different a did a set on acrylic's on a few client's and my sister's nail's and they last about a week or two. I have done a set on a client's nail who had the acrylic done somewhere, she rang me 3 hours later saying they were coming off. She was a good client who recommend's me so much to other's, I gave her the moeny back so since then I tell people to not have there hands done, It really isn't worth it.

So no if you have done evrything you should have, eg prep then no not your fault. Have you done any toes??????? how were they?????

Kerry

Toe's are good!! I have texted everyone I have done and they are all still going strong.

If that is the case on fingers, I will definitely tell people what to expect and if it's just for that special night out they will have to come in that day and keep them crossed, lol!

Whenever I get a client wanting it on their fingers I say they will get 2-3 days so only get them done if its a special occasion otherwise its a waste of money!

I always tell my clients that it doesn't last too well on fingers, and after explaining this to one of my customers, she decided to have it done anyway....it lasted for 4 weeks!!!!!!!!! I'm assuming she did absolutely NOTHING (!!!!!) and I've not heard anything like it since, but I'd love to know if anyone else has a similar story.

Hi there.. I have used Minx for a while and agree with everyone else, I love them on toes but not on hands.. most of my clients find it lasts weeks on their toes, I did try them on a few "guinea pig" hands and they lasted about 3-4 days, but great for a night out.:)

Most my clients whom have them on their nails have them on natural nails (would never do on overlays) and are kept relitavely good length, they usually last 5-10 days one client just ccame back ibiza and hers still on, I just capped her free edge with little top coat and double preped her nails with nail fresh.

I warn clients about them maybe not lasting to long and it varys from person to person, I get them to sign there card to say I advised them on this:):). xx

In my experience they last better on natural nails, generally. if there is any thickness on the free edge, the bond is not as good as it is more 'rounded' (if you understand what I mean)

I have also found that pressing works much better on the adhesive than rubbing. Plus the Minx needs to be hot enough that it is 'floppy' before it is applied and stretching it too much causes it to shrink back from the edge.

I agree, Minx do not usually last long on fingers. I have heard though that some of the geeks are experimenting at the moment with using Shellac or Gelish top coat as a protective layer (also capping the free edge). It's still early days I believe, but hopefully someone can give us the 'official' heads up soon.

You may be interested to know that the Trendy Nail Wraps advertise that they have a clear layer over their designs so that it can be buffed without damaging the pattern then overlayed with gel. Minx manufacturer should take note of this and maybe 'improve' their product to reflect the needs of the average housewife who needs to do more with her nails than wave them around on a pop video :lol:

Minx are long lasting and should last from one nail service to another. so does this apply just to toes ???

I agree, Minx do not usually last long on fingers. I have heard though that some of the geeks are experimenting at the moment with using Shellac or Gelish top coat as a protective layer (also capping the free edge). It's still early days I believe, but hopefully someone can give us the 'official' heads up soon.

You may be interested to know that the Trendy Nail Wraps advertise that they have a clear layer over their designs so that it can be buffed without damaging the pattern then overlayed with gel. Minx manufacturer should take note of this and maybe 'improve' their product to reflect the needs of the average housewife who needs to do more with her nails than wave them around on a pop video :lol:

Minx is MINx, it is fab and does not need a gel top coat it kinda defeats the object, as you can over lay anything with L&P or gel, If you wanted to overlay minx you could, but WHY? you might aswell by cheap stickers and encapsulate them if you going to do that.

Minx has been around for nearly 2yrs now or more, and geeks have experimented with everything waaay b4 trendy nail wraps, you dont need a heads up to try something yourself, me personally love minx and it lasts alot longer than anyother nail wrap out there, if you were to comapre minx an trendy wraps on natural nails without overlay im sure in how they look and tyhe longivity of the two minx would win hands down,,,this has been said loadsa times, have look on the minx group.

xx

im not sure if its just me but i have done loads of minx over gel nails and acrylic nails and theyre lasting at least two weeks!!!! the only problem i have had is that after 2 weeks i need to re file the ends because they are wearing away a little...................i always shape and buff the extension but not to a high shine (with something like a white block) dehydrate with scrubfresh and nailfresh and then apply the minx, then once they are on and set i spend a little bit of time applying firm pressure to each nail again say 30 seconds over each nail.......this seems to work for me and hope this helps

im not sure if its just me but i have done loads of minx over gel nails and acrylic nails and theyre lasting at least two weeks!!!! the only problem i have had is that after 2 weeks i need to re file the ends because they are wearing away a little...................i always shape and buff the extension but not to a high shine (with something like a white block) dehydrate with scrubfresh and nailfresh and then apply the minx, then once they are on and set i spend a little bit of time applying firm pressure to each nail again say 30 seconds over each nail.......this seems to work for me and hope this helps

As I said if it works for you great. I find some clients it will be ok some not, however toes last for over 4 weeks almost gaurnteed, I cant say the same for fingers, so I will advise clients of this, I wont dis sway them just inform them, some as I said will last for 10 days or more some 2-3 days.

I do what works for ME and my clients, I custom cut my minx and layer to make new patterns I add gems I use dif colours I mix with shellac and enamel etc, I try new things sometimes looks hot sometimes not, but I give it a go, and sometimes surprise myself:)

xx

The thing people need to remember is that you apply Minx with heat and pressure so anything you do with your hands even down to putting your hands in your pockets will cause heat and pressure.
This is one of the reasons why they do not last long on fingers.

When I have a request for Minx on fingers I explain this to them and they are fully aware of the risk if they decide to go ahead.

As to adding topcoats to me this defeats the purpose of the easiness and quickness of Minx plus you would have to put the price up to accommodate the extra and imo why mess with it :)

surely though, putting a top coat on after minx will do the same thing as top coat after polish it adds protection and longivity and it only takes a second ?

FWIW, our Aussie friends have had great success using the Lumos Bottom Coat before applying Minx to fingers - however we haven't tested it enough yet as it hasn't launched.

The bottom line is that fingers are in solvents throughout the day and they are abused all day where toes are generally protected. Its one of the reasons why colour stays better on fingers than on toes.

HTHs!

You may be interested to know that the Trendy Nail Wraps advertise that they have a clear layer over their designs so that it can be buffed without damaging the pattern then overlayed with gel.

Its an interesting option, but your adhesion will be coming from the wrap.

What if there is any pocket separation? "Say 'ello to ma liddle gween fwend".

I used the Trendy Nail Wraps on my fingers, they've lasted abut 2 weeks and its the first time I used them. Have started to lift a little bit and chip slightly at the edges but is only noticable when you look very very closely. But considering I have been using them to upen hundreds of cardboard boxes (i know i shouldn't - nails are not tools! lol) and open packets of hair dye, plus the usual housework, etc I'm very impressed :)

Minx is MINx, it is fab and does not need a gel top coat it kinda defeats the object, as you can over lay anything with L&P or gel, If you wanted to overlay minx you could, but WHY? you might aswell by cheap stickers and encapsulate them if you going to do that.

Minx has been around for nearly 2yrs now or more, and geeks have experimented with everything waaay b4 trendy nail wraps, you dont need a heads up to try something yourself, me personally love minx and it lasts alot longer than anyother nail wrap out there, if you were to comapre minx an trendy wraps on natural nails without overlay im sure in how they look and tyhe longivity of the two minx would win hands down,,,this has been said loadsa times, have look on the minx group.

xx

Don't take this the wrong way but the info on experiments with top coats was actually taken from a thread on the Minx Group itself.

Yes, Minx are great and lovely and I actually keep mine on my toes for 12-14 weeks, only removing them because of the nail growth. BUT, they generally do not last more than a few days on fingers because we USE our fingers during our day to day lives. There is nothing wrong with looking for ways of effectively and cheaply extending this limited lifespan.

I do not want cheap stickers on my nails, I want the wonderful Minx designs to match my toes.

Regarding Trendy Nail Wraps, I was simply stating that they have a clear top layer so that if you want to buff you can do. It is just giving the tech the option. Please don't be so quick to dismiss. I have not tried these yet but many geeks have and are perfectly happy with them. There is plenty of room in the market for both brands with others jumping in now, such as n'applique by OPI.

I have been offering Minx through my salon ever since they were first introduced in this country but very quickly stopped doing finger treatments as I didn't feel it was value for money for the client.

I am currently experimenting with Gelish and only have 1 set of hands. So, I will be checking on the Minx Lovers Group to see how much 'extended life' they can reliably get :lol:

Its an interesting option, but your adhesion will be coming from the wrap.

What if there is any pocket separation? "Say 'ello to ma liddle gween fwend".

Definitely an interesting option as it would stop any clients who don't listen to the aftercare advice complaining that their pattern was wearing away on big toes. How many times do you have to tell them to wear socks or tights when wearing tight fitting shoes! Thankfully it doesn't happen very often but it is still a thought :)

I understand the adhesion is coming from the wrap but if pocket separation occurred then surely it wouldn't make any difference whether the wrap was covered and capped at the edge with Shellac, Gelish etc, or left completely naked.

Latest posts

Back