Misophonia-hatred of sound

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people on here being quite inconsiderate I think, I'm really shocked! If I could just turn it off and take no notice don't you think I would? Do you really think I like living each day stressed out to the max because of it? Yes I know I also eat loudly especially right now as I'm heavily pregnant and have blocked sinuses would be probably all these ladies worst nightmare but i can't stop the way I am I've googled and googled ways to help me, had counselling and tried recommended techniques but I still "SUFFER" from it. Do you not realise how envious we are of the people who are not bothered by it? Seriously people you should think before you make ignorant comments. Xx

These people must think they're perfect. They've just proved that they aren't ;) take no notice x

If i was to comment on something of this nature, i would at the very least look into what i was about to share my opinion on before i commented. Which clearly you haven't. This disorder comes in many different forms, not just sounds from eating, so your facetious remarks have been wasted. Would you tell someone with an OCD for contamination to walk around in a coverall because its inevitable that they will come into contact with germs?

Your comments are the exact reason i have not spoken of this before. I have never told anyone that there eating/breathing/movements are causing me distress. As you have stated, how can you expect anyone not to do these every day thing? The main reason for this thread was to see if there was anyone else that suffers with this, and what they do to help control it. Your input was completely irrelevent.

Hey, come on now. :hug: I was having a bit of a light bulb moment and maybe should have explained further? A bit of a eureka moment isn't much good without a bit of background info! :hug: I have someone very close to home with me who possibly had their overall condition made worse by these types of everyday noises, but wasn't in a position to elaborate at the time? At that point, we could identify a range of 'Electrical' noises eg vacuum, shaver, hairdryer as being definite triggers, but maybe food noises played a part, too? I am going back quite a number of years, here, so research/knowledge is always evolving, changing and shedding new light. Nobody ever mentioned eating noises in this connection at that time.

Quite a number of people with autistic spectrum conditions suffer from noise sensitivities but, years ago, the focus was more on the electrical type noises. If, unwittingly, eating noises were a contributory factor <and may very well have been>, it's no wonder a small child could have become so suddenly, regularly and seemingly inexplicably explosive! I should have elaborated, so I'm sorry to have caused this upset because I do, through a very close relationship with a family member, have a heavily vested interest in understanding/seeking to alleviate/identify causes. :hug:

My suggestion is, if you 'think' you suffer with this condition, pop along to your GP to get a firm diagnosis. There's no point guessing. Hopefully then you can have as much information about this condition to help and support you. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you feel same way about feeding animals ?
I love feeding a carrot to a horse or a rabbit, a cat or whatever, i love watching them chomping away on it, i love feeding people too, cause i know they are happy when they are munching away, lol
Just a thought
or maybe a starting point, who knows

My suggestion is, if you 'think' you suffer with this condition, pop along to your GP to get a firm diagnosis. There's no point guessing. Hopefully then you can have as much information about this condition to help and support you. Xx

Yes, although I think it's already been said on another thread somewhere, it can be rather hit and miss with GPs. Some can be more helpful than others, unwittingly or otherwise. I found it considerably easier to get assistance for mine as a child rather than the young adult they are now, but hopefully they can channel people into the right directions. I also found that some counties are far more willing to put money into help with these issues than others.

Do you feel same way about feeding animals ?
I love feeding a carrot to a horse or a rabbit, a cat or whatever, i love watching them chomping away on it, i love feeding people too, cause i know they are happy when they are munching away, lol
Just a thought
or maybe a starting point, who knows

Funny enough, I'm fine with animals. If I hear a person chomp or munch, I feel the almost overwhelming desire to batter them. It's like it triggers an internal rage, but I'm not an angry person.

Funny enough, I'm fine with animals. If I hear a person chomp or munch, I feel the almost overwhelming desire to batter them. It's like it triggers an internal rage, but I'm not an angry person.

Hi, yeah i thought that, take some carrots along become a regular visitor to a local horse or something, you never know it might just become a thing of the past :hug:

Hey, come on now. :hug: I was having a bit of a light bulb moment and maybe should have explained further? A bit of a eureka moment isn't much good without a bit of background info! :hug: I have someone very close to home with me who possibly had their overall condition made worse by these types of everyday noises, but wasn't in a position to elaborate at the time? At that point, we could identify a range of 'Electrical' noises eg vacuum, shaver, hairdryer as being definite triggers, but maybe food noises played a part, too? I am going back quite a number of years, here, so research/knowledge is always evolving, changing and shedding new light. Nobody ever mentioned eating noises in this connection at that time.

Quite a number of people with autistic spectrum conditions suffer from noise sensitivities but, years ago, the focus was more on the electrical type noises. If, unwittingly, eating noises were a contributory factor <and may very well have been>, it's no wonder a small child could have become so suddenly, regularly and seemingly inexplicably explosive! I should have elaborated, so I'm sorry to have caused this upset because I do, through a very close relationship with a family member, have a heavily vested interest in understanding/seeking to alleviate/identify causes. :hug:

I didn't mean to quote only you Deena, I just found some comments very blasé, and not taken seriously.

What annoys me is that I am 90% sure that if I went to my GP they would suggest CBT which I have tried before for my anxiety. It just doesn't work for me, I can quite easily tell myself what I am feeling is irrational, that they're just noises. That doesn't stop the rage from building inside of me.

Hi, yeah i thought that, take some carrots along become a regular visitor to a local horse or something, you never know it might just become a thing of the past :hug:

It's really not that simple. Bit like telling a depressed person to cheer up. There is a physiological reason people are like this, not choice.
I'm quite a strong person, not a special snowflake, and I didn't choose to be born with this. All I can do is manage it, and if that means avoiding situations where people chomp like pigs, then so be it.
Perhaps you should try shouting at deaf people to get them to just LISTEN. :(

Yes, although I think it's already been said on another thread somewhere, it can be rather hit and miss with GPs. Some can be more helpful than others, unwittingly or otherwise. I found it considerably easier to get assistance for mine as a child rather than the young adult they are now, but hopefully they can channel people into the right directions. I also found that some counties are far more willing to put money into help with these issues than others.

Yup that was most likely me that said that with regards to my OCD. My point was that we can all look up symptoms online and think we suffer from something, so its always best to get in contact with your GP as your first port of call, incase it happens to be something else entirely. Also we can all 'think' we have something and make a few misinformed assumptions about a condition but for some people that causes them to inadvertently or unintentionally trivialise an illness someone else is actually suffering from. But I know what you mean, GPs can be hit and miss (having first hand experience of this) however in a lot of cases it's GPs that have to refer you. Xxx

Last edited:
I suffered terribly with this as a teenager with the 'munching' in particular, I too felt the need to batter people..but as an adult I can deal a little better with the munching. I can now happily sit with people eating crisps or biscuits ..I just need to get the sound of sniffing under control and the sound of knives and forks on a plate when others are picking up food, it sounds like a bass drum to my ears. I am not tolerant at all to either of these sounds.

Here we go again! &#128532;

Anyway, on topic, i wonder if anyone else has this:
If I can here someone's tongue or lips smacking when they talk I feel distressed. For instance, on local radio phone in it seems to pick up these horrible sloppy smacking noises from people talking. I have to turn off.
I thought I was just weird. It's sort of a comfort to know it's not me.

I personally wasn't trying to upset anyone. I live with this disorder daily but on the opposite end and it makes life very hard.
Should I give up on my husband? Send him to the curb because he turns into an a$s the moment we sit down to eat?
He decided to seek help, got a diagnosis and sees a therapist every week to help him deal with it.
This is on open forum and I do not wish to disclose personal details.
Just think back to your remarks about "becoming violent" when these noises put you off, put 3 young children into the mix and see what happens :(
Think about the anxiety you would place on a toddler that perhaps doesn't understand what your disorder entails.
As an adult it is your responsibility not to stress out those around you.
If you can for one second imagine living your life walking around on eggshells 24/7 out of fear that your loved one will have an outburst of anger and violence because you took a breath of air?! You may be able to see the other side as well. As it stands it is an effort on all our parts to help but the person suffering has to put in some effort too.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Eating separately normally helps. If we're having something noisy for dinner, Mr Persian eats in the kitchen.
People who need to eat with others are definately weirdos to me. I can only eat out if it's quite loud where we are.
I also can't cope with:
People who scrape their cutlery across their teeth.
People who chew with their mouths open.
People who talk whilst eating
People who sniff.
People who suck their food in or slurp.
People who smack their lips together.
Gum- it's the work of the devil.
People who constantly need to suck sweets.
People who bite their nails
People who pick at their nails
People who crunch ice cubes
People who pick their teeth

I can cope with:
People who glugged drinks
Animals chomping.
Quiet eaters, especially if I like the person.

Ok, I'm officially a nutter, so sue me.

Eating separately normally helps. If we're having something noisy for dinner, Mr Persian eats in the kitchen.
People who need to eat with others are definately weirdos to me. I can only eat out if it's quite loud where we are.
I also can't cope with:
People who sniff.

I can cope with:
Animals chomping.

Definitely not a nutter Persionista, I really hate all those things too! :)

Ditto that!

I also can't cope with:
People who sniff.

I can cope with:
Animals chomping.

This is me to a T!

I have just these violent rages inside of me and think awful thoughts about the person so!

I also can't cope with:
People who sniff.

I can cope with:
Animals chomping.

Not a nutter lol even though "normal" people may think you are :p
They state that 1 in 2 suffer from one or another form of mental disorder so that is a LOT of people.
People with severe cases know they are different very early in life and sometimes traumatic experiences can worsen it.
This is why we have to be tolerant and have patience for both sides.
I have had the pleasure of personally speaking to people that suffer, I have drawn my own conclusions. Those of us that have spent a lot of time alone have a harder time dealing with the "noise".
I spent 3 years in a bomb shelter followed by 2 yrs of refugee camp and not once was I ever alone.
My husband has been an only child with two grown sisters, mother in law was back at school when he was 8 yrs old.
He has been all alone day in day out for a very long time :( He comes home to an empty house and makes his food, eats alone and falls asleep waiting for his Mom. He blames her for aggravating his severe case.
He is a wonderful man and sooo nutty but so worth the hassle !
Cleen Cheeks Spa

I get really irritated very easily by noise. My other half grunts all the time, this is part of his anxiety so I try really hard not to say anything but sometimes. I want to smoother him!

He also has a habit of having 2 things on at once, so he'll be watching tv then put a YouTube video on his phone. It sends me potty and I get really agitated straight away with it :(

I'm a very placid person but when it comes to noises I get this! I didn't actually think it was a thing lol

Latest posts

Back