Mistakes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traciecheeky

Reaction score
Just thought I’d start a light hearted thread on mistakes made during your first years into the industry. Anything funny nothing too serious, just would like to hear others stories.
I once forgot to top coat a hand on a client nails - needless to say she came back shortly and of course I apologised she’s now one of my favourite clients. I also tinted a ladies eyebrows too dark- eek..

When training, I accidentally cut sometimes fringe way too short.
We both knew it had happened but both ignored it. As she was leaving my manager promised her free blowdries for a month while I cried my heart out upstairs haha.
I never made that mistake again [emoji23]

I once had a girl come in who had spent ages growing her eyebrows out and I waxed one and panicked cause it wasn’t quite the right shape. I made it look right and did the other one the same, they were a bit thinner than she wanted but the shape they had done before was terrible. She came back again so it couldn’t have been too bad

I once forgot to wipe off the dispersion layer on some shellac as we were so busy talking lol
She came back about half an hour later (luckily she only lives down the road) wondering why she had dust and fluff stuck all over them! Easily put right but I did feel silly! She still comes now and we still talk just as much!

I've made a few mistakes along the way. I once was treating a clients brows- as i removed the strip it landed halfway into the middle of her brow- acting quickly i removed it. the worst thing ever! oh i had accidentally taken around 3 to 4 stray hairs but noticeably a gap appeared- i was mortified- she only just announced she was getting married and everything! so i didn't even try to style it out i was like "babe, im soooo sorry, i've given you a gap!! ekkkk" she was so cool and calm about it still comes to me now. we laugh about it. I gave her some brow kit and didn't charge her until it had grown back- didn't take long but i knew it was my hasty rushing about mistake. we live and we learn eh!

When I did my first Brazilian the hot wax got stuck to my clients hair- I was absolutely dying inside, in the end I had to cut it off with scissors. I didn’t charge her and I cried at reception she came out obviously felt bad hugged me and told me not to worry about it. She never did come back though... that was a horrific memory that will haunt me forever lol!!

Just thought I’d start a light hearted thread on mistakes made during your first years into the industry. Anything funny nothing too serious, just would like to hear others stories.
I once forgot to top coat a hand on a client nails - needless to say she came back shortly and of course I apologised she’s now one of my favourite clients. I also tinted a ladies eyebrows too dark- eek..

I’m quite particular about repetition...so when I started and forgot the prep and wipe before gel polish...it didn’t just happen once.

When I started I was petrified my couch would break. They may be able to hold 40 stone but they sound like they will snap like a twig. I remember one lady that was probably nearing the weight limit seriously that scared me so much trying to wax her while it was swaying that the next time I lowered it right down as far as it would go so the legs were doubled up on the notches for extra support. I sat on the sofa to do her face wax. She must have thought it was a bit weird. Funnily enough when it eventually broke it was a tiny petite lady because she swung off it like a piece of trampolining equipment - the larger ladies have never caused a problem at all. They are more aware of spreading weight which smaller clients don’t consider as they bound up like it’s a pommel horse from the centre. It’s basically a decorating table really isn’t it. Sometimes I wonder whether I should be demonstrating how to use it because sometimes I’m amazed at the unusual manoeuvres. I find it best to pretend I don’t care so when it next breaks I will be less bothered.

I’m still very early in my career and have done some very silly things but you’ve got to laugh!
1. I was chatting to my client and started massaging her leg with hot stones then realised I had forgotten to spread oil on (we laughed)
2. I’ve sold a lady a product and she came back in to the salon the next day saying she can’t get anything out of the bottle (it was an empty tester bottle - opps)
3. Waxed a ladies eyebrow into an awful shape (the classic)
4. Applied gels after massaging with oil (oh yeah and to make it worse I forgot to prep and they all fell off and she was back the next day[emoji1417])
Those are just a few but nothing really really terrible luckily! Just gotta learn from mistakes and keep going[emoji173]️all the lovely clients and reviews make up for it

I’m still very early in my career and have done some very silly things but you’ve got to laugh!
1. I was chatting to my client and started massaging her leg with hot stones then realised I had forgotten to spread oil on (we laughed)
2. I’ve sold a lady a product and she came back in to the salon the next day saying she can’t get anything out of the bottle (it was an empty tester bottle - opps)
3. Waxed a ladies eyebrow into an awful shape (the classic)
4. Applied gels after massaging with oil (oh yeah and to make it worse I forgot to prep and they all fell off and she was back the next day[emoji1417])
Those are just a few but nothing really really terrible luckily! Just gotta learn from mistakes and keep going[emoji173]️all the lovely clients and reviews make up for it

I’m early too- I’m currently on my second year in the industry.
The mistakes I can think of I have made are forgetting the top coat, I tinted a ladies eyebrows too dark- she was really fussy and didn’t want them to look noticeable, but had white hair, so obviously the tint would come through really quickly and darker anyway, waxing with hot wax during a Brazilian and it wouldn’t come off [emoji15] I had to cut it off in the end and missed hairs during waxing. Luckily I haven’t actually made any other mistakes. As you say you can only get better when you keep practising. We will get there :) x

Love this thread! I was waxing a ladies legs once while on work experience and pulled the strip off her leg with a flourish & it landed on the back of my tunic!! I was so embarrassed especially because I then spent the next few seconds spinning around trying to remove it.. I looked like a dog chasing it’s tail!! Oh god.. 19 years later it still makes me cringe! X

I have lots of ladies that get confused between Brazilians and Hollywoods. Usually I double check in the treatment room to make sure that I know what they want, but once or twice I've applied wax over the pubic mons befor checking...you'd think I'd remember after making that mistake once, but no, the horrific memory fades after a year or two, and yes I've done it at least 3 times.

The funniest was when a lady booked in for a Hollywood. She hadn't had a wax for a year she told me, as she'd had a baby and got out of the habit. We chatted away about babies and I didn't check that she actually wanted the Hollywood that she'd booked. When she came into reception, she paid and then said "I'm really out of date, what are bikini waxes called nowadays?" So I ran through the options,. 'Oh no!" She said, "I only ever have a bit around the outside of the knickers! - I did think it was taking a long time, but I just said to myself that I must have been really neglected. It was only when I was putting my knickers on that I discovered there didn't seem to be anything left...'

I looked so horrified, she actually apologised to me. The worst was that she didn't even know that a Hollywood was a thing, she thought I'd got into a pickle and accidentally removed more that I intended. She couldn't believe that women actually booked in for everything off, she though a Hollywood was just the fashionable name for a bikini wax.

Latest posts

Back