Mixing brands?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitzybiz

Reaction score
I’m interested in trying out “the gel bottle” brand uv polish as there colours look amazing!!! I currently used CND shellac, but wondering ha anyone tried using the CND base and topcoat with the gel bottle colours? And does it last? Or am I better off using the companies base and top? I only want to purchase a few colours so thought could just add into my CND colours

Definitely get their base and top coat as well. I'd recommend buying The Gel Bottle Rubber Base and Extreme Shine Top.
Shellac is a completely different product to The Gel Bottle, so you won't get a proper indication of its longevity if you don't use the complete system.

Also, with TGB you need to apply "thick to stick" rather than "thin to win"! So if you've been using Shellac for a while it might take a bit of getting used to but I think you'll be impressed with the coverage and how long it lasts. As long as you follow the prep and application guide (on their website) you'll be fine.

CND works best as a system BUT you can use any other brand that you like. Just keep it on a short term basis because they tend to give you problems the more you use it.

Completely different systems with completely different usage instructions so you will need the base/top coats to fully appreciate how amazing it is.

I think I’ll give it a go, do over all those who have used CND and tgb which one lasts longer? X

Definitely get their base and top coat as well. I'd recommend buying The Gel Bottle Rubber Base and Extreme Shine Top.
Shellac is a completely different product to The Gel Bottle, so you won't get a proper indication of its longevity if you don't use the complete system.

Also, with TGB you need to apply "thick to stick" rather than "thin to win"! So if you've been using Shellac for a while it might take a bit of getting used to but I think you'll be impressed with the coverage and how long it lasts. As long as you follow the prep and application guide (on their website) you'll be fine.

Thankyou for the advice I think I’ll try it out then including base and top x

I’m interested in trying out “the gel bottle” brand uv polish as there colours look amazing!!! I currently used CND shellac, but wondering ha anyone tried using the CND base and topcoat with the gel bottle colours? And does it last? Or am I better off using the companies base and top? I only want to purchase a few colours so thought could just add into my CND colours

My concern is what will you use to cure it? The CND lamp is a 36watt lamp operating in the 350-370nm range (IIRC), but TGB uses a 48watt lamp in the 405nm range. If you use your existing CND lamp, you are guaranteed a mismatch and probably undercure of the TGB color coats.That is a special concern because it is my understanding that while CND teaches that you should keep your coats thin ("thin to win"), TGB is a thicker product and teaches a thicker application ("thick to stick"). Given that UV light does not penetrate very deep into each layer, and even less on dark colors, you could have a serious problem curing the TGB coats with the CND lamp.

I think I remember reading that the gel bottle was compatible with other companies. I mix it with top and base and haven’t had a problem. They always have sales going on so stock up on their base and tip!

I use CND LED lamp? It’s just frustrating I want to try these brands but not realistic to buy all these different lamps costing between 100-200 a time!

Yes I had heard it’s thick to stick rather than thin to win that would be hard to get used too!!

I use CND LED lamp? It’s just frustrating I want to try these brands but not realistic to buy all these different lamps costing between 100-200 a time!

If you decided you liked TGB and wanted to use it alongside or instead of Shellac, would you be prepared to buy the lamp then? I honestly would recommend you did.
But in the meantime, if you are wanting to try it out on yourself and maybe family members or close friends just to see if you get on with it I can understand why you wouldn't want to invest in the lamp straight away, just in case you didn't like it. When I first bought BIAB TGB didn't actually have a lamp to use so I had no choice but to use my INK 48w lamp. However, I will add that I only used it on myself and family and close friends in those early months until they introduced their new lamp. Then I invested in colours as well and started using it on clients.

Those that do use a CND lamp with TGB seem to use the 2b setting (I think that's right? I don't use Shellac myself). You will hear from nail techs that they "have no problems" using it, but I have also read quite a few posts from people who do have problems curing TGB with it and that they experience heat spikes, Lifting, chipping etc, so it's a decision only you can make. What worries me most is developing an allergy at a later date due to over exposure to under cured products.

I have seen a few ladies who have the cnd lamp having curing problems with TGB. I don't have the official TGB lamp even though I have actually used it numerous times. I haven't got their lamp because when I first started buying their products, they didn't have a lamp. The advice was to use a 48w SunUV lamp. Once it reaches the end of its life I will invest in the official TGB lamp.

Thankyou for your comments yes just so confusing all these different heat settings etc [emoji85]

Thankyou for your comments yes just so confusing all these different heat settings etc [emoji85]
Your best bet would be to contact TGB directly and ask their advice.

CND works best as a system BUT you can use any other brand that you like. Just keep it on a short term basis because they tend to give you problems the more you use it.
I’m assuming you mean mixing systems and not using any other brand full system....

Latest posts

Back