Mixing it up..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
I have just done a new set on myself.. I ran out of clear so i used two different brands.. monomer and powder.
I suppose you could say i "custom blended on myself" I used retention+ L&P 1 part clear and 4 parts OPI Clarite in natural..

I was a spur of the moment thing as the tips i used are a funky Red and a pink would have looked iffy.. and unfortunately i am growing out a couple of dents and a ring of fire that i did to myself so i wanted a bit more coverage then clear.. so I tried it on a thumb and it came up pretty good...

:rolleyes:

I know people say not to mix brands.. and its not something i would normally do.. but i was desperate.. just wondering what the problems could be from doing so? I didnt cover any other products during my training only used the Haircare brand that was supplied.. so i am a novice still when it comes to this sort of thing!

I have used coloured acrylics with my usual monomer, and even though they were different brands they came up ace.. :confused:.. can someone help clear up my confusion on the matter please?

thanks geeks.. one and all!

shhh but I mix all the time.. I normally mix ezyflow with creative (powders only - I'm strickly CND with my monomers).. I've never ever had a problem with service break down.

Thankyou so much for you honest reply.. thought i would get shot down!! But honestly im just so pleased with the overlay colour that i figured something had to go wrong.. Keep expecting my nails to start smoking any minute!! :smack:

I have just done a new set on myself.. I ran out of clear so i used two different brands.. monomer and powder.
I suppose you could say i "custom blended on myself" I used retention+ L&P 1 part clear and 4 parts OPI Clarite in natural..

I was a spur of the moment thing as the tips i used are a funky Red and a pink would have looked iffy.. and unfortunately i am growing out a couple of dents and a ring of fire that i did to myself so i wanted a bit more coverage then clear.. so I tried it on a thumb and it came up pretty good...

:rolleyes:

I know people say not to mix brands.. and its not something i would normally do.. but i was desperate.. just wondering what the problems could be from doing so? I didnt cover any other products during my training only used the Haircare brand that was supplied.. so i am a novice still when it comes to this sort of thing!

I have used coloured acrylics with my usual monomer, and even though they were different brands they came up ace.. :confused:.. can someone help clear up my confusion on the matter please?

thanks geeks.. one and all!

Isn't OPI Clarite an odour and dust less system? I did a trial/training with it when it first came into NZ. Completely different chemical setup/reaction than CND. It was designed so that the top layer never fully cured and you had to roll it off with a file. Is this correct? Maybe the system has changed since then but there is no way I would mix this system with anything.

Isn't OPI Clarite an odour and dust less system? I did a trial/training with it when it first came into NZ. Completely different chemical setup/reaction than CND. It was designed so that the top layer never fully cured and you had to roll it off with a file. Is this correct? Maybe the system has changed since then but there is no way I would mix this system with anything.

Yup it is.. but the powder seemed fine.. I think the monomer is the basis of the Clarite system.. I am probably wrong..
I have done a 121 with OPI using the odourless Clarite and If i remember rightly the powder isnt that much different to normal powders..
Before i applied it i checked the consistancy of the mix ratio.. and i applied it to one thumb, let it dry and then filed and it had none of the uncured product left on top.. It was a straight forward file ..no roll off needed.. so i can only asume it is ok.. I guess i will wait and see about service breakdown.. I would NEVER do this on anyone but myself..
but yea.. I did it first, then thought about it after :smack:.. one of the things i know about me is that i will always try and see.. More often then not i end up ok.. but sometimes.. ack!

I guess i will wait and see about service breakdown..
True:lol:

I would NEVER do this on anyone but myself..
That's good to hear.:hug:

:) Wasn't telling ya off or anything....just thinking out loud about the chemical makeup of Clarite. :hug:

:) Wasn't telling ya off or anything....just thinking out loud about the chemical makeup of Clarite. :hug:

Shivers.. shoulda used smiley faces, cause i didnt take it as you telling me off.. Its exactly what i was thinking!!:green::irked::green:
Hence the smoking fingers!! so far so good but!:hug:

It is VERY dangerous to intermix monomer and polymer systems. Especially when you are mixing odourless and non-odourless systems. It may SEEM fine on the outside, but you are putting your client at serious overexposure risks that may not manifest themselves for months after.

You could also be found legally negligent in doing so (which means a client could very easily sue you if they develop a reaction).

HTHs!

I completely respect your opnions.. I will say that i definately will NOT do this on a client! It was a spur of the moment thing really.. that is the reason i thought i would check it out on here..

Can i just ask then.. Is it dangerous to use coloured acrylics? You know the type you get in little pots but are not branded.. ?? They are quite simply everywhere.. and when i do finally start sculpting to a service standard i figured i could use these to create different french for my clients.. using my fav monomer... ??:confused:

I completely respect your opnions.. I will say that i definately will NOT do this on a client! It was a spur of the moment thing really.. that is the reason i thought i would check it out on here..

Can i just ask then.. Is it dangerous to use coloured acrylics? You know the type you get in little pots but are not branded.. ?? They are quite simply everywhere.. and when i do finally start sculpting to a service standard i figured i could use these to create different french for my clients.. using my fav monomer... ??:confused:

you mean ones like these?
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/97/42224797_full.jpg

um.. I was thinking more like these.. not that these are the exact type.. but they are more of a powder.. My wholesaler sells them in tubes.. of different colours..:confused:.. I just assumed i could use any monomer with them as they are not branded.. as such.At Your Finger Tips > Coloured Acrylic Powders

ah, ok. trust me to get it wrong, like I usually do:smack::lol::lol:

It really depends on the powder. If it contains BPO then I would say no, however if they are just pigmented polymer, then it shouldn't really affect the chemical reactions (much in the same way that glitter won't really affect your powder). Saying that, it still can affect your curing. For instance, if 1/2 of your bead it glitter or just pigmented powder, then you are relying on the other half having enough BPO content to ensure a proper cure.

Hope that makes sense :)

I'm not educated enough to tell whether it's safe or not, but would like to use your thread and ask a question of my own if it's ok.

The question is: If you don't want to mix polymers and monomers, can you then do the tip with ezlow L&P and then zone 2 and 3 with CND L&P?

Ofcourse yo would have to stock up on both, but I have lots of ezflow powders, but prefer to work with CND now, just want to use up the rest...

:hug:
Karen

It really depends on the powder. If it contains BPO then I would say no, however if they are just pigmented polymer, then it shouldn't really affect the chemical reactions (much in the same way that glitter won't really affect your powder). Saying that, it still can affect your curing. For instance, if 1/2 of your bead it glitter or just pigmented powder, then you are relying on the other half having enough BPO content to ensure a proper cure.

Hope that makes sense :)

So if you used a straight pigmented polymer with your monomer it wouldnt have enough BPO to cure basicaly.. and then you are exposing to hazards? And say if half of the bead has BPO it would need to be strong enough to cure..
Does this or is this, something you can learn by looking at the bead? I mean with practise and experiance can you tell that the bead has enough of the qualities you are looking for in your end result.. (my turn to hope that makes sense!)

Thanks for the advice.. taken into account and will definately do alot more research into the components of polymers and monomers, and use only one system from now on.. TY :green:

And by BPO do you mean - Benzoyl Peroxide?

Chel, coloured polymers are easy to make, use your normal powder and add mica pigment to it, bright and bold and almost identical to those expensive colour polymers u can buy.. and when I make it up its about 98% of my chosen powder (normally CND PP Clear) so I doubt the ratios would get out of whack there?

Oooo were these like glitter strips? Where would you get these from?! x x

Yep. I brought these from someone down here in NZ.

And by BPO do you mean - Benzoyl Peroxide?

Chel, coloured polymers are easy to make, use your normal powder and add mica pigment to it, bright and bold and almost identical to those expensive colour polymers u can buy.. and when I make it up its about 98% of my chosen powder (normally CND PP Clear) so I doubt the ratios would get out of whack there?

I googled mica pigments.. but got lost in cyber land... Do you have a link i caould look at.. Not sure if i can get it in OZ??:green:

Latest posts

Back