MMA? & E file damage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soz

Reaction score
Hi all

Was asked the other day to do some infills on a friend of a friend. She had had them done elsewhere and admitted she had left them for more than three weeks because she couldn't afford to get them done so they were very grown out but there were no signs of lifting etc. Anyway when I had a look at them they were big thick acrylic 'lumps' with the most horrendous deep 'hoof marks' where an electric drill had been used - a couple of them looked as though they had gone right through the nail bed (signs of blood - heave!). She admitted they were painful when they were first done but were OK now. Anyway I finally agreed to do the infills (but wished I hadn't) it was like trying to file through concrete! I went through 2 brand new files just trying to thin them out and it took me an hour and a half!!!

My two questions are:- was this likely to be MMA with it being so hard? and should I have done the infills or soaked them off and started again? Am very concerned about the areas where they have been drilled through (crikey makes me feel quite nauseous).

Thanks for any advice.

It may have, but you cant ever really know without proper testing of the monomer.
If it was MMA, you most likely would not have had an easy time soaking off.

I think you most likely did the right thing. Thin it out and rebalance with proper professional systems that are designed to protect the nail.

The Nail Geek said:
It may have, but you cant ever really know without proper testing of the monomer.
If it was MMA, you most likely would not have had an easy time soaking off.

I think you most likely did the right thing. Thin it out and rebalance with proper professional systems that are designed to protect the nail.
Can i just ask you: if you dont know what product has been used when a client comes to you, how can you put your product over the top? shouldn't it always be soaked off? i thought we shouldnt mix products? i'm confused :confused:

You can go over the top of other 'old' products Carole.
The 'not mixing' bit means, X's powder with Y's Monomer for example.
Hope explained this correctly, lol!

Hi Carole,
when you do an infill or rebalance on a set of nails the old product has already cured, so if you put a new system on top it isnt realy mixing with the old.
When you are advised not to mix products it means dont use star nails monomer with creative powders or vice versa

Exactly so. As all products are acrylic based, you can rebalance any product with another. What you may sacrifice is beauty in doing so ... different coloured products, different textures etc.

But in the case of MMA, and when you see damage as described, it is best not to subject the poor natural nail to any more trauma. I think you did the right thing to leave 'well alone' and watch that damage grow out as you nurture the nails along during the maintenance appointments.

prettynails said:
Hi Carole,
when you do an infill or rebalance on a set of nails the old product has already cured, so if you put a new system on top it isnt realy mixing with the old.
When you are advised not to mix products it means dont use star nails monomer with creative powders or vice versa
Thanks a lot for explaining - that will definitely help me in the future ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back