MMA - Help me to Sum it up, short and sweet.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Reaction score
I am going to push for some free editorial (compensation for screw up! another story) in a mag that I have been advertising in.......... If it goes ahead, I don't want even one word written by her! So I am hoping to get it all ready to send to her asap.
It is no secret that most of the people visiting NSS are well aware that their natural nails are being ruined.

I think that most of them simply don't realise that there are alternatives to the butchers who are on every corner of every high street.
The likes of you and I, seem to be beautys best kept secret!!

Obviously, there are some people who really are happy to suffer the damage and pain because 'they never break and the damage is covered up, so who cares!?'

But for those who are now scared of ever having their nails done again
Those who take painkillers before appointments to help with 'the pain' that they expect
Those who have no idea that there are alternatives, ie: good, highly trained technicians, that will never do anything to damage their nails; enhancemets that would rather snap, than rip your nail out........

For these people, I would like to include 1 or 2 paragraphs about MMA.

* I want people to recognise that having 'indestructable' nails is not a good thing and why.

* I want them to realise that enhancements do not have to mean damage.

* That training is optional in this country, that nothing is regulated.
Which is why it is so important that they go to someone who has taken the time to train and cares enough about a clients natural nails, to use safe, high quality products.

I don't want it to come off all preachy or slanderous!!

I just want to spread the word and inform others that there is a choice.

So, what would you write?
As little as possible - short and sweet!

We are going for impact.

Think 'tea-break' reading, not 'bed-time' reading.

Maybe together we can create a little something that we will all find useful?

Word this as you choose, but here's some ideas that may get the creative juices flowing ????

MMA liquids are primarily a dental industry chemical.

Used for the making false teeth.
Not designed to break or stress when chewing bark if so desired.
[ Edit at your discretion :) ]

Mixed with Professional nail polymers this creates a damaging cycle for the natural nail, which in many cases has left patrons nails disfigured permanently.
[ Add links to kakky pics if you like :idea: ]

The application technique chosen + the basic principle of the chemical makeup of MMA enhancements are in no way supported by the professional communities we are proud to associate our business - ethics & professional industry standards with.
[ Mention a few - then it's not just your say so ]

HtH

XX J XX

Shockingly, anyone can work as a nail technician in this country, without any formal training.

It is assumed that this industry is regulated & governed and that the damage often suffered by clients is a prerequisite to wearing nail enhancements.

Neither assumption is true.

The non existence of rule or regulation in the UK has led to use of MMA (methyl methacrylate) being commonly used in nail bars up and down the country.

• MMA has been banned in many states of the USA, but not in the UK.
  • Nails containing MMA are incredibly strong........ It is common for MMA enhancements to rip a natural nail out of the nail bed, rather than breaking.
  • MMA enhancements can only adhere to a natural nail which has been severly etched (with a low grit file or drill), resulting in very thin, painful natural nails.
It is important that you know that there are alternatives available. You do not have to suffer damage and pain.

There are many, highly qualified and skilled nail technicians in this country, who are actively fighting for our industry to be regulated, to ensure that no one else need suffer.

Interesting thread hun as I was hoping to do a similar piece in the magazine that I advertise in.......like you I wanted something a bit classy but covering a wide enough area to get business! I am really pleased with my ad and even though it costs me £126 per month I feel it has been worth it so far and I am gradually getting more response each month (been about 6 months so far)! Sorry to hear about your nightmare and that awful woman who thinks she is an editor!!!
I try and vary my ad every other month with an incentive but wanted to bring some awareness in my area about the issues you have raised above. Its a fighting battle as so many people really do think that enhancements ruin your nails and hurt when they are created!!!!

I look forward to hearing any replies too and agree its something lots of us could do within our community to help people see it another way!!

I think something short and sweet is best but informative without too much technical stuff !!
I`m not too good at putting this sort of thing together but with a few facts and ideas from everyone, like you say maybe we could all take something from it !! xx

Shockingly, anyone can work as a nail technician in this country, without any formal training.

It is assumed that this industry is regulated & governed and that the damage often suffered by clients is a prerequisite to wearing nail enhancements.

Neither assumption is true.

The non existence of rule or regulation in the UK has led to use of MMA (methyl methacrylate) being commonly used in nail bars up and down the country.

• MMA has been banned in many states of the USA, but not in the UK.
  • Nails containing MMA are incredibly strong........ It is common for MMA enhancements to rip a natural nail out of the nail bed, rather than breaking.
  • MMA enhancements can only adhere to a natural nail which has been severly etched (with a low grit file or drill), resulting in very thin, painful natural nails.
It is important that you know that there are alternatives available. You do not have to suffer damage and pain.

There are many, highly qualified and skilled nail technicians in this country, who are actively fighting for our industry to be regulated, to ensure that no one else need suffer.

Great, I wish this sort of thing would just roll off my tongue....it would take me ages to get all the words right!!

Cheers babes.
Still a bit long though!

Need to work on it.
Thanks JNail, you're a star xx

like whats been written but the best bit for me is,
I have had countless clients say 'they look so professional, with their masks,
Ask your selves why these techs wear masks? And if they feel the need for a mask, why are you not offered one? What are you inhaling that they don't want to?

You have to be really careful when writing pieces like this as the general public will read just the first few lines and continue their assumption that all nail enhancements ruin your natural nails......How are they to know whether the products being used on them contain mma.....basically they dont, and whether or not it is being used, the offending salons will tell them it's not if asked and there will always be people out there who want to only spend £20 for a full set regardless of the damage to their own natural nails and then there are the clients that know what good nails are all about and sing your praises and spread the word about the good services you perform. If you want a piece to write then I would write something positive.....ie: what makes a good salon, what kind of experience they should recieve from consultation to end of service, treatments that can be offered for problem nails, dry skin etc. This gives the general public an idea what to look for when visiting a good salon.
David

You have to be really careful when writing pieces like this as the general public will read just the first few lines and continue their assumption that all nail enhancements ruin your natural nails......How are they to know whether the products being used on them contain mma.....basically they dont, and whether or not it is being used, the offending salons will tell them it's not if asked and there will always be people out there who want to only spend £20 for a full set regardless of the damage to their own natural nails and then there are the clients that know what good nails are all about and sing your praises and spread the word about the good services you perform. If you want a piece to write then I would write something positive.....ie: what makes a good salon, what kind of experience they should recieve from consultation to end of service, treatments that can be offered for problem nails, dry skin etc. This gives the general public an idea what to look for when visiting a good salon.
David

David i couldn't agree more. If I was a potential client, ignorant about nails, I would read that and think rightio that's having my nails done out the window!!! Never focus on the negatives of what not to look for - the press do enough of that anyway - always focus on what the positives that they MUST look for.

And when my extractor fan was broken I wore a mask - I value the health of my lungs too much!

Also MMA is not that widely used so it isn't the bg issue that it may seem ... but poor standards are rife. Tell them what good standards they need to look for and you may help some poor soul from the nail butchers.

Oh man!
Now I'm confused!

I'm mobile, not a salon, so whatever it is that I say, it needs to work for both.
Will go back to the drawing board.

Latest posts

Back