mma horror

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loo

Reaction score
Some one that I work with at my other job had acrylic nails done at a nail salon, she didn't know that I did nails at the time. She wished that she hadn't gone to that awful salon as the poor girl got a horrible infected finger, it blew up like a balloon and was very disgusting her nail looks terrible. She has removed the dreaded stuff they used and I am sure they are using mma. She told me that they were a milky white colour and used drills to file them, and they only cost her £25.00! a sure sign that this is the cause of her infected finger don't you think, I think that they have used MMA. I feel really sorry for her as i think it has permanently disfigured her nail.

What can she do she has photographic evidence as i told her to take photos of her finger but shes to shy to complain. If that was me i would have gone loopy x

STOP MMA USERS!!!!ITS BAD STUFF twisted

I would have though visit doctor and go back, speak to manager to discussrequest money back and compensation to go and have a manicure on hands (once better). if not sucessfull ask for insurance details and public liabiity etc speak with ANT see if they are a member.

Hopefully this action is the correct steps,, others might know better

If the second action does not work, then speak to a solicitor for legal advice.

Poor, poor lady, hope she recovers soon. Best of luck to her

Thanks for the advice she has been to doctor i think she had to have antibiotics for the infection was soooo bad. I will give her your advice and i hope she takes it!! ?

thanks again xx

hi

tell her to go see her docter, also to complain to the salon where she got them done, and if you are sure they are mma i would get her to complain to the local council ,( enviromental health dept)...

There is a salon questionaire in the nails magazine july 2003!! well worth trying to get a copy of this, and get her to fill it in and send it off to the council!!!!

good luck

cazzza :D :D :D

Well girls, I don't think the MMA is to blame for the infection.........
MA is poor
Poor sanitisation is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drill bits not being sanitised in between clients................
So health and saftey could do a spot check and write a report on their findings.............
Get in touch with the local health and saftey offices and lodge a complaint, backed up with the photographic evidence and then go for it ........

HELLO THANKS ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES
I think it should be investigated your right whatever the cause she should be compensated

Isn't it a shame that the reason so many salons get away with this type of event and never improve their sanitation is precisely because clients WON'T take these things further and COMPLAIN TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES!!

Why are people like this? By not complaining she is just leaving the door wide open for this salon to continue causing harm to other clients.

Very little presented here in the post is what I would consider 'definte' evidence of MMA. Infections begin with germs, MMA or EMA is not actually relative to the issue of infection.
Wish I had seen her nails. You may be describing nail condition as a result of electric drill abuse or result of the use of acrylic nippers ect ect, as well as the result of the infection.
In fact, in the USA, many of the major manufacturers and suppliers in the nail industry have stopped active campaigns against MMA (called give it up, we haven't made any worthwhile progress) and you will find that the attention is more and more being focused upon SANITATION (which many feel will be an area in which the industry can actually achieve overall improvement).

ollieninh said:
In fact, in the USA, many of the major manufacturers and suppliers in the nail industry have stopped active campaigns against MMA (called give it up, we haven't made any worthwhile progress) and you will find that the attention is more and more being focused upon SANITATION (which many feel will be an area in which the industry can actually achieve overall improvement).
Don't you think that is because the use of MMA is a criminal offence in 39 of the 50 states and therefore odd to campaign against? If they are using it you don't need to raise consumer awareness... call the feds ;)
Sanitation seems the next biggest and most important beast to tackle now.

Well no, I am not sure that we can be so definite about the current legal status of MMA in nails.
You say it is a criminal offense, I have not seen the state regulations written in that manner, what I have seen are 'civil codes', therefore civil offense with extremely mild enforcement and mild penelties.
You say call the 'feds'. No, actually the feds have stayed out of it and the feds have wanted to stay out of it, perfering the state regulartory boards to lead the way.
Are the states even testing and therefore citing, for mma use. One state that I can actually obtain the details for every months citations is South Carolina. I have never seen them issue a citation of mma or use of banned chemical, ect.
Now, when the owner of one of the largest beauty/nail supply companies in the world writes me and says to me " Ken, to me MMA is a non-issue ", does that mean we have beaten MMA, that the use of MMA is on the decline, that the consumer is so well informed on MMA that the consumers are fleeing the MMA use shops in droves ? I don't think so.
I think it means that we have pursured the MMA issue in a vigirous manner, investing great amounts of time and resources into anti-mma campagins and we have evaluated the results and evaluated how much more will have to be devoted to anti-mma to gain any further progress, and, decided to pay attention now to some of the other pots on the stove, like Sanitation.
I have mentioned this before about the USA and the UK timeline. In the USA we have already gone thur so much on the bell curve of measuring the life cycle of the beginning, the growth and the materity of the *NSS and MMA because our own time line began so long ago. In the UK you are still in the earlier portions of the cycles we have already completed, and of course, your being in a different place and time, you have many viewpoints that we in the USA held earlier.

The Nail Geek said:
Don't you think that is because the use of MMA is a criminal offence in 39 of the 50 states and therefore odd to campaign against? If they are using it you don't need to raise consumer awareness... call the feds ;)
Sanitation seems the next biggest and most important beast to tackle now.
sawasdee ka

Them speak in America for do test on liquid for mma is very exspensive and can not make test .

I think if a country have like a police and go to a salon with card and speak today we come to take some liquid for test and salon not know when them come no body have mma if the owner and nail tech will have big fine and go to jail if them have mma .

If this was Thailand police would lock shop have mma and after they would find out who the supplier of mma and close and then finish .

I do not know why every body know mma is problem and why police do not lock .

Mui from the land of sun shine and smiles .

ollieninh said:
Well no, I am not sure that we can be so definite about the current legal status of MMA in nails.
You say it is a criminal offense, I have not seen the state regulations written in that manner, what I have seen are 'civil codes', therefore civil offense with extremely mild enforcement and mild penelties.
? Are you saying that it is a civil offense instead of a criminal offense? There is a pretty big diff there. Though I personally have not read each states statutes on the issue... it was my understanding that it was a criminal offence, not civil.

You say call the 'feds'. No, actually the feds have stayed out of it and the feds have wanted to stay out of it, perfering the state regulartory boards to lead the way.
I was actually taking the piss about the Feds ;) For the international users... The Feds only get involved if a criminal offence spans states... Actually... maybe they would get involved if they were to discover an american individual selling MMA accross into states where it was an illegal offence... That would warrant a fedral offence wouldnt it?

Now, when the owner of one of the largest beauty/nail supply companies in the world writes me and says to me " Ken, to me MMA is a non-issue ", does that mean we have beaten MMA, that the use of MMA is on the decline, that the consumer is so well informed on MMA that the consumers are fleeing the MMA use shops in droves ? I don't think so.
It just means like (for a huge protion of us) MMA is a non issue from a distribution standpoint as its not like you are losing customers to MMA buyers.
For the industry as a whole though, it is an issue as it can have serious reprocussions on the perception of nails to the consumer.
The people irresponsible and ridiculous enough to use MMA are generaly not responsible enough to work in a manner that promotes sanitation, safety, and healthy client natural nails.
I think it means that we have pursured the MMA issue in a vigirous manner, investing great amounts of time and resources into anti-mma campagins and we have evaluated the results and evaluated how much more will have to be devoted to anti-mma to gain any further progress, and, decided to pay attention now to some of the other pots on the stove, like Sanitation.
I have mentioned this before about the USA and the UK timeline. In the USA we have already gone thur so much on the bell curve of measuring the life cycle of the beginning, the growth and the materity of the *NSS and MMA because our own time line began so long ago. In the UK you are still in the earlier portions of the cycles we have already completed, and of course, your being in a different place and time, you have many viewpoints that we in the USA held earlier.
Just because you feel that its a worthless battle in the US doesnt mean that internationally its the same thing.
Already moves are being made to introduce legislation in the UK to make it illegal to use MMA in the salon.
The benefit of being a couple of years behind the US in market development is that we can learn from the mistakes made in the US. I have watched this with things like primer usage, nipper usage, and methods of natural nail plate preparation. Internationally, the technicians are generaly much better at protecting the health of the natural nail than the licensed US counterparts.
Sure, there are far too many people internationaly that don't... but still a heck of a lot less per capita than my home (USA). :D

I was actually taking the piss about the Feds ;) For the international users... The Feds only get involved if a criminal offence spans states... Actually... maybe they would get involved if they were to discover an american individual selling MMA accross into states where it was an illegal offence... That would warrant a fedral offence wouldnt it?

:p LOL you make me laugh! i love this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back