MMA problem - advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookbj

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im currentlly setting myself up to work within a salon doing l&p and gels.
There was another girl working in the salon also doing the same thing but she left just before xmas.
Im now taking her place.

Here is my question/problem...

As the previous girl left before xmas (she is now a beauty therepist) most of her clients went to another salon just down the road. In this place I believe there is one lady doing l&p and gel also. I have a sneak suspicion they may use MMA, but not 100% sure.

The girl who works in my salon doing hair has managed to get me loads of new clients and some go to this other place now, so what I want to know really is when they start coming to me how do I know whether the other salon uses MMA or not as

1) I dont feel comfortable putting my product directly over the other salons product to in/back-fill (not even sure if I can or cannot do that actually) and I would prefer to soak and start a fresh with my product and

2) I dont want to be soaking for hours as I know from experience that MMA is a bugger to get off and VERY time consuming!

My clients who go to this other place now are not going to know whether they use MMA and I cant just ring them myself and ask them can I??

One more question....

If you knew a client was coming to you after going to a salon you know uses MMA would you soak off completly then start afresh with your product or just carry on from where they left off and rebalance as normal?

Advice please...!
Thanks

I cant speak from personal experience because luckily enough ive never come across this but i have read on here from a few people that they think its sometimes best to not try and remove the acrylic if you suspect it to be mma as this can cause too much trauma to the nail plate, best to just in fill with your product and let it grow out, you may get a slight colour difference, but thats best for the nail in the long run. I may be completely wrong here but hey, thats what i remember reading somehwhere, each to their own though. At the end of the day you do what you think its best for your clients nails. xxx kelly.

Ahh. Thats a good point.
I just dont know whats best - to continue as mentioned above and rebalance etc and wait for their product to grow out, or, remove the whole MMA stuff and start again.
What will cause more/less damage?

Would be interesting to see what the other geeks suggest and do themselves.
Is it each to their own, or is there a "correct" way to deal with this?

Also what about clients coming in with other salons product on that is not MMA, can I just work over or should I soak and start fresh?
Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.

My preferred method is to rebalance over the MMA.

Because, usually MMA means that the nailplate has been damaged and exposing that damage with a soak off exposes the client to discomfort.
So, I take my risks and rebalance over it, skipping the discomfort. I explain everything to the client.
Also, I find adhesion is poor to 'damaged' nails... and don't want my own product lifting or having problems.

What's 'fun' about it is that they see the difference in 'colour' between what they had and the rebalance... Ok, not so fun on one hand if you use a 'clear' L&P or gel BUT on the other hand, it's a teaching experience for your client AND for her to show her friends that may be going to the same place she went to formerly......
Do you know what I mean?

Also, you can put it that you're "saving" her the expense of a removal, in addition to avoiding her discomfort. Clients appreciate when you put them first.

hth's
:hug:

Thanks.
When you say "i take my risks" what do you mean? what do you explain to the client?
Thanks

yes, leave it on, thin it out and prep carefully in the area of regrowth.
after a few more rebalances the client with have only your product on the nails and the damage from the old set will have grown away without any consequence.
your l/p will go over the old products fine.

That answers my question. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back