MMA to ban or to prohibit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some really good points here geeks. My intention with the petition is to make a very small start in a long battle ahead. This is not something that will happen overnight, we are talking months, possibly years. The intention is to get MMA banned for the use of nails only. It is possible to do this and it will not affect the other industries who are using it correctly. As well as a minimum of 2000 signatures, we have to provide case historys, newspaper and magazine articles, there will be meetings and letters and visits to London. I would like to organise a meeting at the Olympia trade show next year to see how things are going, (will have to talk to them first of course) And a lot of headaches!!! All i know is that there are so many people (not including geeks and decent people!) moaning about MMA, my answer is... get off your bum and do something about it!!!

Yes Rachel we are all behind ya on this one, as a team we can and will win this.............

So petitons need to be signed, pictures of damged nails due to MMA need to be taken, get a folder and put all this usefull stuff in and then when D-Day comes, slam it or put it, depends wether PMT has set in and deliver the facts.................
The fact will win............. as Rachel said it might take time but hey, I am not going anywhere .................and if we all pull together on this, we can and will make a difference.....................

love Ruth xxxxxxx

Looking at a few American nail sites and what they say about MMA it is'nt banned as a whole but it is banned for use in salons - due to it being a poisonous and harmful substance when used on fingernails - thanks beautytech.

So with this very to the point quote, l have e mailed every organization going - let's hope we get some government back-up.

The sad thing with MMA and the horrendous things that are done to the nail plate for it to adhere often makes some nail enhancement wearers think it is great because it remains on so long - then you try to explain the dangers that come about because of this. A whole lot more education is needed for the public to understand that nails 'give' under pressure and if they don't damaged is caused.

It is gonna be a long hard fight on this one - but l know we are all up for that. We need a motto girls and guys.

What a wonderful reply. I have been a nail tech for 14 years, salon owner, competition judge, assessor blah blah blah... But i can honestly say i have never felt so welcome by you wonderful geeks. At last, i feel like part of a family, and that we stand, together, in making the nail industry a better one, and a proud one, to be in. My love to all you geeks. xx :rainbow:

Nailsinlondon1

Reaction score
I have had a thought about this..............
Well we all would like to have MMA banned, but hey lets think............

MMA is used for all sorts of things, monomer is only one of many uses for this chemical...........

So I have thought, wouldn't it be better to fight to have it prohibited from being used for nail products i.e. monomer and the cosmetic industry..........rather then banned............

Because if it's banned completely what happens to plexiglass, artificial limbs and other useful things.............????

Just a thought
love Ruth xxxxxxxx

Good point...

MMA would not be banned accross the board... That would mess a whole bunch of industries up.

Instead of having it banned or prohibited... I feel it is best to make it a criminal offense to use or distibute it for use in the making of nail enhancements.

It should carry a severe criminal penalty in this context. Otherwise we will be no beeter off than we are now.

Two very good points
But how do we get as far as making the use of or distribution of MMA a criminal offense?

Yes this makes sense to me...........

Revoke trading license, heavy fines, prison sentence............
But and there is always one .........

Well a lot of larger importers will still take the risk, close down shop and then reopen under another name..........heavy fines , well the larger the company the more monies they will have available to pay for their fines..........

So prison it is, but then who do you send down?????
The Nail Tech using it? The Distributor selling it ????

This is a bit like the red diesel saga, involving the transport industry........
Heavy fines for the hauliers, but hey it's still being used.........
So I think this is a tricky one and requires a lot of thought , sense and educating the public..................

love Ruth xxxxxxxxx
boy heavy subject for a Thursday

smiler13334 said:
But how do we get as far as making the use of or distribution of MMA a criminal offence?
Got me. I know as much about the legal system here as I do about the mental affect of Aliens probing upon people with Turettes.
In other words... Nada.

I just think that the phrase "criminal offence" should be active in our vocabulary when looking toward legalities.

How do we get it made a criminal offence.............
Well by getting all those that have been affected to complain..........
Complain with a loud voice...............
petitioning against it......................
Educating our clients, which I think is the most important thing we as Technicians can and should do.....................

Then as all petitions go, send it to a member of parliament and then hope that they take it serious enough to take it further, like in green paper, white paper and then law....................

The short cut to this could be................ Find someone that has suffered at the hands from MMA..........then they will have to take the Technician to court, for will full damage or GBH or ABH, they in turn take the distributer to court, for providing them (the Nail Technician) with a product unfit to be used in nail enhancements.....................
Win the case and then we can have a criminal conviction based on a test case tried at a legal court...............

But easier then this could be.............Don't buy the stuff, no takers , no producers required, no sale ...............NO MMA ............

love Ruth xxxxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back