MMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
MMA. Just whispering it makes you want to take a shower as soon as the phrase passes the lips. But what exactly the hell is it and what the hell can I do about it?

What it is

MMA (Methyl MethAcrylate) is a monomer used in some nail enhancement applications that has stirred up tons of controversy over the past few years in the US and is quickly becoming a problem in International markets.

As early as the 1970’s the FDA expressed that MMA monomer is “a poisonous and deleterious substance and should not be used in liquid acrylic monomer for nail enhancement products” as it is an extremely high sensitizer and likely allergen that can cause severe allergic reactions through minor skin exposure. The FDA still holds strong on its stance for the safety of this product.

Aside from the “Use it and you will spontaneously combust” warning from the FDA, there are even more grave reasons for avoiding MMA applications.
MMA is extremely hard and as such having MMA on your nails can cause very serious problems. When enough force is applied to an MMA enhancement to break it, the result is usually enough force to tear the natural nail plate apart. This can lead to permanent nail plate damage if the tearing is located around or near the matrix or lunula. It can also result in an increased risk of serious infections due to the tearing and exposure of the nail bed or surrounding tissue.

Due to the severe hardness of MMA, the only way to file is through excessive drilling. Most techs irresponsible enough to use MMA are far too irresponsible to use an electric file. Techs that use MMA could care less about the health of the natural nail plate and as a consequence, the client suffers. Much of the damage associated through the use of MMA comes from severe damage attempting to apply and maintain the indestructible enhancements with a drill. The extra amount of drilling required to maintain these enhancements leads to situations where technicians burn the nail bed, over-thin the plate, and even drill through the natural nail plate.

MMA is so dense, that it is even more difficult to soak off than gel. Soaking off is possible (as with gel) but is very unrealistic as the time it takes for the solvent to penetrate is substantially longer than with a L&P or wrap system.
The result is usually seen in even more nail plate damage as the client or technician becomes bored of waiting and picks, nips, or rips the product off instead.

“But it just sticks so good and all”… Um… right…

MMA Does not bond very well to the natural nail plate. The only way it can adhere to the nail is through mechanical adhesion, which requires massive amounts of damage to the natural nail plate (through severe ‘etching’). The upper most layers of the plate have to be removed to expose the looser knit center of the plate. This gives the MMA something ‘substantial’ to bond to. If the nail separates or gets broken, this ‘etching’ process is usually repeated. Before long, the natural nail plates become thin sheets of keratin that tear easily as well as offer no protection from MMA seeping through to the nail bed.
MMA has the lowest level of attraction to keratin than any product used to enhance natural nails.

“ok.. BUT ITS SOOOOOO CHEAP N STUFF!”

MMA is sold through back doors and out of vans, just as one would buy stolen goods or drugs. The suppliers will usually get hold of massive quantities from dental suppliers to decant and re-distribute to known customers. Since MMA is completely undeveloped for the nail industry, and has no legal distribution, manufacturing, or education channels, it is usually at a much lower cost (just like stolen stereos are much cheaper than the legit kind).
No professional supplier sells MMA as they couldn’t afford the liability involved; just as no professional insured salon would use MMA. Insurers should be made aware of the immense liability these salons carry. This liability could cause the rest of the professional industries premiums to increase.

Around about 1974 the FDA placed MMA on its poisonous and deleterious list of substances and warned professional nail manufacturers against the use of the substance. Sale of monomers containing MMA would mean that the manufacturer could be held liable for the damage caused from the use of the product and the FDA would enforce regulation. No nail manufacturer has used MMA in any monomer formulations since as the field data and FDA stance is pretty self explanatory.

As the FDA stance was directed at manufacturers, not at technicians, MMA has been able to be used in the USA for many years, as it wasn’t exactly illegal … just warned against.

In the past several years, many states in the USA have been explicitly prohibiting the use of MMA monomers for use in nail applications at the salon level. This is a trend that should see all states explicitly prohibiting the monomer.

Nail technicians in the states now run the risk of loosing their license or being sued by customers for the use of this substance. Being proactive could save the industry millions as well as the priceless loss of consumer confidence.
NSS (non standard salons) have done extensive damage to consumer confidence and the industry as a whole through the irresponsible and unprofessional use of MMA.

So what’s the alternative?

EMA. The CIR approved EMA is strong, but has a designed limitation on strength. When enough force is applied to break an EMA enhancement, the result is usually little or no damage to the natural nail plate (dependant on how thick the enhancement is).
EMA has about 25 years of research and development behind it for the nail industry and therefore offers the safest, most advanced option over MMA.
And as far as the cost, MMA applications are actually only marginal over EMA applications.

O MY GOD! MY POWDER HAS PMMA!

Yup. So does damn near every powder on the market. So does countless other items that you use every day. PMMA stands for poly-methyl methacrylate. In plain old English, cured MMA. In this context, PMMA lends some of its strength to PEMA and poses none of the risks mentioned above.

Warning signs of MMA use:
  • MMA has an unusually strong or strange odour, which doesn't smell like other acrylic liquids. Odour is present during application and when filing cured product (for fill-ins or repairs).
  • Enhancements are extremely hard and very difficult to file even with coarse abrasives.
  • Enhancements will not soak off in solvents designed to remove acrylics.
  • Enhancements are cloudy or milky colour when cured.
Additional warning signs though less definitive:
  • Low price of fills and full sets (MMA cost 1/3 of EMA)
  • Dust or ventilation masks used (many technicians use dust masks today who do not use MMA)
  • Unlabeled containers - technician will not show or tell the client what brand of product is being used
MMA. Just say no. Hell, smoke crack before you use MMA.

This is exactley what I needed. I knew RE:Wearing a mask...couldnt be an indicatoin of a healthy AIR Enviroment.....Drills dust fillings/Hd/chemicals/OURS etc....Have tried to get CREDIBLE info on this but not as Brill as this... How would I get permission to have this... I would like to try & incorporate this Knowledge in Service Menu's?& or Service Intro?. I feel if this is available Maybe we will Combat Unsafe Practises. Making not only th Gen' Public[our bread & butter]aware of this x POISIONX, & who doesnt check out Compeditors Pro Mo's? I'm proud of the fact. I & whoever else joins my crew will be MADE FULLY AWARE of the Quality of CND & not the Quantity of "STUFF" we have... I have also purchased a Breeze Air Purifier by Ecoquest......Brill . Purifys/Elimmnates/Sanitizes.. Dust,Oudor H/D chem up to 2500sqft perfect when working with hairdressers or a few Techs & Mob.. Valuable info GMG thanks again jnail Australia

jnail said:
How would I get permission to have this... I would like to try & incorporate this Knowledge in Service Menu's?& or Service Intro?. I feel if this is available Maybe we will Combat Unsafe Practises. Making not only th Gen' Public[our bread & butter]aware of this x POISIONX, & who doesnt check out Compeditors Pro Mo's?
I too would like to put together some 'flyers' to have in the salon to inform clients about the dangers of MMA and non-standard practices.
May I have permission to edit this slightly (to make it more readable to clients) and reproduce it please Sam? I have found myself tripping over my words when trying to explain to people about MMA, and this would be a good way of helping them digest the important info.

Does anyone else do this in their salons?

go for it. :wink2:

I just read the thread about posting on the forum, and replying to old threads instead of starting new ones.

I'm not taking the p. I do need to ask this.

I have longed to join the cruisade against mma and shout as loud as possible.

I had a so-called friend who is no longer a friend because she was sticking her nose in my business too much and bad mouthing me out of jealousy. She advised one of our mutual friends to go to an mma nail bar. Anyway, enough of the "Yeah, but, No, but...":smack:

She advised me very brutally not to mention mma to my clients as it:-
A) sound like sour grapes.
B) sounds unprofessional.
C) it rubs their noses in what they have done (so to speak!)

I would have posters all over my home salon from the start if it wasn't for her. I let people read hidden sheets if they want to..Its like top secret stuff!!

I am still taking her advice in the back of my mind. I should start to tell people shouldn't I? These salons go beyond professionalism within the industry don't they? They don't deserve that level of respect! Yeah?!!

By the way, the mutual friend went to the other salon because she kept smashing my nails. I saw her the other day, and she only had three on from the mma place!!! lol
Sorry, v unprofessional.

Sorry, meant to say how good it is to read such an indepth article on mma. Very informative!

i have verbally educated all my clients of the dangers of MMA. I mean it is banned in some states in the US,
HAS ANYONE DONE A SEARCH ON METHYL METHACRYLATE? I CERTAINLY HAVE.
MMA IS A CHEAP DENTAL ACRYLIC THATS ROCK HARD, AND STICKS WELL TO VERY DAMAGED, PAPER THIN NAIL BEDS, HENCE WHY THEY USE DRILLS TO FILE THE ACRYLIC AND DRILL ON THE NATURAL NAIL PLATE.

PMA and EMA are safer. there is a difference. EMA TRIED AND TESTED, SAFE, NAIL ACRYLIC. PMA P MEANING POLY WHICH ( I THINK ) IS SHORT FOR POLYMERISATION, IN OTHER WORDS CURED ACRYLIC.
I have a portfolio in which clients wanting a nail service, can read and see pictures info on nails before deciding what they want.

I am very concerned that people choose to have there nails done at mma salons/tai bars/vietnamese nail bars, one because its cheaper, and no need for an appointment/quicker, because there are so many working there.
what can we do to stop it.

they should be closed down, reported or something!

Just like the fashion police....CREATIVE should have the MMA POLICE, bust all the salons that use mma, health & saftey would have a field day as they do not display all the nessasary posters in the salon, and dont label there products. AND NO QUALIFICATIONS, which sets alarm bells ringing!

ALSO no disrespect to anyone from foriegn countries, but if you have a nail bar/salon in england, learning gcse english should be a must. As some of my personal investigations have found out.
JUST AS WE WOULD LEARN THE LANGUAGE IF WE WHERE TO EMIGRATE AND SET UP BUSINESS. COMMUNICATION IS A MUST TO ENSURE THE CLIENT GETS THE RIGHT TREATMENT AND ADVICE.

Sorry - rant now over.

Bud said:
I too would like to put together some 'flyers' to have in the salon to inform clients about the dangers of MMA and non-standard practices.
May I have permission to edit this slightly (to make it more readable to clients) and reproduce it please Sam? I have found myself tripping over my words when trying to explain to people about MMA, and this would be a good way of helping them digest the important info.

Does anyone else do this in their salons?

yes I have fact sheets for my clients this would be of great benefit

djnalz said:
i have verbally educated all my clients of the dangers of MMA. I mean it is banned in some states in the US,
MMA IS A CHEAP DENTAL ACRYLIC THATS ROCK HARD, AND STICKS WELL TO VERY DAMAGED, PAPER THIN NAIL BEDS, HENCE WHY THEY USE DRILLS TO FILE THE ACRYLIC AND DRILL ON THE NATURAL NAIL PLATE.

PMA and EMA are safer. there is a difference. EMA TRIED AND TESTED, SAFE, NAIL ACRYLIC. PMA P MEANING POLY WHICH ( I THINK ) IS SHORT FOR POLYMERISATION, IN OTHER WORDS CURED ACRYLIC.
I have a portfolio in which clients wanting a nail service, can read and see pictures info on nails before deciding what they want.

I am very concerned that people choose to have there nails done at mma salons/tai bars/vietnamese nail bars, one because its cheaper, and no need for an appointment/quicker, because there are so many working there.

Just like the fashion police....CREATIVE should have the MMA POLICE, bust all the salons that use mma, health & saftey would have a field day as they do not display all the nessasary posters in the salon, and dont label there products. AND NO QUALIFICATIONS, which sets alarm bells ringing!

ALSO no disrespect to anyone from foriegn countries, but if you have a nail bar/salon in england, learning gcse english should be a must. As some of my personal investigations have found out.
JUST AS WE WOULD LEARN THE LANGUAGE IF WE WHERE TO EMIGRATE AND SET UP BUSINESS. COMMUNICATION IS A MUST TO ENSURE THE CLIENT GETS THE RIGHT TREATMENT AND ADVICE.

here here nicely said.

sheryden.:smack:

fantastic information on MMA, I really had no idea. We should have an nail techs federation here in england.

would it be ok if I printed some of the info to display in my shop?

would it be ok if I printed some of the info to display in my shop?

Could I pinch a bit of this info please. I was trying to verbally explain last night but I think I sounded like a right idiot.
xxx

Superb piece of information there Sam. This should be tattooed on every nail technicians eyelids!:)

Thankyou so much for this information. My acrylics teacher touched base on the subject but didn't get into much detail, so this write up has definately provided me with more information. :green:

i saw a post saying a DENTIST had told a nail client MMa is safe on nails, and its the length of the nails thats the danger!

i think it came from the subject" veneers/false teeth are made from dental acrylic"

im shocked.
are dentists trained in nails?

i trained in nails and beauty and used to work as a trainee dental nurse.

MMA acrylic!! is not totally safe on nails, surely its common sense........................

i mean the nail plate cells form from the nail matrix the nail bed has its own blood supply.
TEETH are enamel, Gums have a blood supply.
False teeth/(mma acrylic) are only attached to the teeth and are ready made and cured before hand, then set in place.

The MMA acrylic when just applied to the nail has not cured for at least a minute or 2, depending on the powders setting time.
So i think its possible for MMA poison toxins to get into the blood stream, thats why they band it in some states in america, isnt it??

MMA NAILS, the salons that do 30 minute, drilled, false nails are cheap and quick and last a while as it is super hard and sticks like cement to the damaged nail plate.

I use CREATIVE NAIL DESIGN, retention, perfect powders L&P system, and im struggling to compete.

I take 1 hour 20 minutes to finish a beautiful set of fully sculptured w & p nails as i dont use a drill, i buff with oil and polish the nails.

can safe EMA acrylic that i use, (kinder to your nails and healthy) easy to remove ,
beat the fast, strong, long lasting, hard to soak so you have to drill it off! MMA?

See This is one i havn't learnt about at college mmh..

:rolleyes:could someone explain in short text what itis, how it starts and how to cure it, don't mean to be rude but theres too much to read..cheers

:rolleyes:could someone explain in short text what itis, how it starts and how to cure it, don't mean to be rude but theres too much to read..cheers

there's never too much to read ........ if you can be bothered !!!!!! Particularly when you are just starting out.

:rolleyes:hmmmm how to cure MMA? well U could go in to the NNS wealding a blow torch?

read the article or dont bother to learn about it :rolleyes: Totally with nailzoo on this one

This is an amazing article thank you so much as most others asked may i use some of it for FYI to my clients? Thank you so much!

I'm not sure whether you're English on the basis of your spelling and grammar but certainly it's set alarm bells ringing with me. Maybe you should consider a GSCE to improve your spelling/grammar before you criticise others over their communication skills.

Of course you're very concerned people are going to 'tai' bars (do you mean Thai?) or Vietnamese salons - they're not using you! This is blatant protectionism folks not an altruistic interest in health & safety. To quote: 'Public Health Minister Dawn Primarolo said the Health Protection Agency had no record of having received any complaints of ill effects from the use of MMA in nail bars in the last three years'. Yes MMA is unpleasant but so is EMA or acetone for that matter. As you also state, only 'some' US states have banned it and this after around forty years of use - Maybe the early problems were with the application rather than the product! If I had nails that were two inches long, real or not, EMA or MMA I wouldn't want to catch one in a car door in much the same way I wouldn't want to fall awkwardly with a high stiletto on potentially breaking an ankle! No sign of a ban on the stiletto yet! Same principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back