mmr jabs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Lou

Scatty Blonde Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Macaulays gotta have his mmr vaccine tomorrow. Im dreading it, I've heard so many conflicting views on this jab and Im in two minds whether or not to take him. The girls have both had theirs but that was before any of this autism stuff was heard of. Needless to say the girls are healthy and driving me nuts, like kids do. Im torn cos alot of kids have not had this injection and Im sure a child at Chloes school got mumps, through not having it. Just wanted to moan a bit.

It must be a hard thing to get your head around but if you have let your girls have the jab then whats the difference. More kids arn't having it done so its more likely that the kids are going to catch something. I have had my children jabed and i have done with no worries, but i can see where your coming from and the concerns you have. Your other children were fine....:) It will be ok im sure.

Sarah Lou said:
Hi geeks,

Macaulays gotta have his mmr vaccine tomorrow. Im dreading it, I've heard so many conflicting views on this jab and Im in two minds whether or not to take him. The girls have both had theirs but that was before any of this autism stuff was heard of. Needless to say the girls are healthy and driving me nuts, like kids do. Im torn cos alot of kids have not had this injection and Im sure a child at Chloes school got mumps, through not having it. Just wanted to moan a bit.

Hi sahra

i had this dilemma to with my youngest and when i "quizzed" my Doctor about it (i didnt go to the exteme ya know a light in his eyes or truth serum but nearly) he put it to me this way:

"We are getting more and more refugees that are bringing into this country diseases that we have not seen for years, some which for a small child can be fatal! Do you want to take that risk with your child?"

(small note: i have nothing against refugees!)

So i turned the tables on him (he has a child of similar age) and asked him if he had had his child immunised and he said yes. Good enough for me!

He had the jabs and has been fine.

i had my little boy vaccinated with mmr. for me there was no question.

i know the separate jabs aren't strong enough so it can still be contracted. i also thought hey if all the hype is true, i would rather have a son with autisum then no son at all, because he died after getting measels.

also, i've looked into it, i think it is more to do with genetics, it seems to happen to familys. maybe, the child was destined to be autistic, but the jab may bring it out quicker, i know it has something to do with the liver. (i no sounds weird), i had mmr, my sister did, my son did all my neices and nephews have, and were all fine, it only happems in very few cases and has not been proven, if it was true it would have been proven by now, hell this was floating around when i was 18 months old (my hubbies dad made him have separate jabs)

as said before, if the dr's think its good enough for there children then its good enough for ours.

my little boy is 18 months now and he had the jab a few months ago...like luckybird this didn't bother me. but my partner wanted him to have the seperate jabs and got me to enquire about going private to have them done.

He's a bit like that.....
icon_rolleyes.gif

anyway we got the combined. he's fine and there's nothing wrong with him. apart from been a little terror
icon_twisted.gif

hi i have a 3 yr old boy and was worried, and i asked my dr about the seperate jabs and he would not do it point blank,it is a really worrying thing but i feel better knowing that my son has had it , my mum didnt let me have it so i ended up getting measles luckily i was alright !!

Hi folks, I am actually a 1st level registered nurse (my other life when not mobile) my little boy is two on 14/9. I read loads of research (was just doing a research degree module for my Bsc at the time) and I questioned all the doctors and consultants I know. I looked into the combined jabs too, However after deliberating decided it was best for my boy to have the mmr at the doctors surgery. He is fine and helathy but it is a hard decision to make for any parent. but it would be far more of a risk not to have your child vaccinated as there had been an increase in measles in recent years. Unfortunately the choice is yours honey but i (and obviously others) did a LOT ++ of research and chose to go with it. You will make the right decision for you and yours whatever you choose.
Pam xx

hi my daughter is nearly 4 she had all of her jabs and the doctors answered every question they were so helpful anyway glad she had it and shes ok, she had a virus when she was a few months old and was extremley ill i couldnt take the chance just incase she caught measles i couldnt watch my little one be ill again xx

Thanks everyone, I took Macaulay this morning, poor little boy he screamed like a banchee, bless him. I was almost in tears , its so hard. But I came to the decision last night that he should go. Afterall the girls were fine, just cant help being cautious these days. It is so confusing cos one minute there is a link to autism and then one minute there is'nt. Impossible to know which way to turn, in the end I followed my mothers instinct and took him.

just a follow on from this thread.......my fiance's cousins little boy had the jab and now he has just been diagnosed with autism, obviously there is a lot of investigating going on as to wether or not the jab was to blame......now though this happening my fiance's brother has decided against letting his little baby get the jab and he is going to go private so he can get his other jabs without it.....i myself am pregnant just now and it also started alarm bells ringing in my head about it all but after reading about the doctor who mentioned about all the refugees coming into the country now with all sorts of different diseases it has put my mind onto another way of thinking.........i suppose its the tiniest risk of a baby being left autistic through this jab but i wouldnt like to watch them suffer if they caught a really nasty illness either

stanleyann

My son will be three next Thursday, and last year I was worried like you too.... I did speak to my doctor about it and she was very nice....

I too asked the doctor (who amazingly has 4 kids of her own) whether she gave them the injection or not...and she gave it to all of them.... :) So this lessened my fears to an extent.

Do not worry I do beleive that after all whatever has to happen will.....further more when I did my reading at that time there was no confirmation to that date that it was actually linked to autism.

It seems that, like all the other mums posting in this thread here, you are really doing your good work as any mother should...Keep it up :)

Yollie

My eldest has special needs so we didn't have the MMR. I'm not sure the MMR is to blame but I'm not sure it isn't either. There are options to it, we wanted our youngest protected but without the risk of overloading his system. You can get the single vaccines. One thread says that they are weaker. We were told that emphatically wasn't the case. In fact the opposite. He should be protected by his measles jab until his about 16. The MMR does not always provide protection instantly and so needs to be topped up. We discovered that when there was an outbreak of measles and all the kids involved had had the MMR. Part or all of it may work first time but because it doesn't usually all work at once you get top ups.

Its been reported that almost a third of docs/nurses opt for single vaccines so there's clearly concern in NHS. Ours is a group practice and one doc said there was no way the government would let a child have a vaccine that wouldn't help and all three of his were given the mmr with no worrying results. One of the others said his son would have it over his dead body. So, who knows!
Good luck with your decision!

Latest posts

Back