Mobile beautician with kids, first complaint in 10 years

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swanseanat88

Reaction score
Hi there
I've been a beautician for 11 years. I've worked in a few salons and worked on a cruise liner.
I absolutely love doing beauty therapy and being mobile is definitely easy as I have 2 children.
BUT
I've been doing mobile for 6 years now. And as my kids are getting older I'm finding it harder juggling my own business and the kids. I have two boys 5 and 3 and they are busy busy kids.
I feel like I manage to juggle the kids , work , housework and the rest as women have to do.
So that's me.
So I have a lovely list of regular clients but I do take on new ones to.
So Friday I had new clients with a large booking. 2 women mother and daughter.
Includes eyelash extensions, full leg wax, pedicures , gel polish , facials , eyebrow wax and tints
So I was there from 9-5 in the house cause I had so much to do.
I went in the kitchen to do waxing as I needed a counter to put the wax pot on. But the lighting in the kitchen wasn't the best so I took an hour doing a full leg wax I triple check the legs and I couldn't see nothing. Neither did the client.
I did fuller lashes using the cluster lashes that I always use. I'm so confident with my eyelashes I would swear on my life how good I am doing them. I have so many clients who love my lashes and swear by coming to me. I do my own lashes and I get two weeks out of them. Which technically they are weekend lashes.
Sooo anyway....
I was happy with the service i provided and so were they.
I had a message yesterday off the daughter with a long essay I'm thinking oh great
It said that both hers and her mums lashes completely come off. Like literally not one lash left on !!!! I'm like what the heck how can that be. There were perfect when I left. So I was annoyed about that.
Then I missed a patch of blonde hairs on the top of the thighs.

Sooo I said I can return on Tuesday and re do the lashes and do any patched I may have missed but I would do it in a much lighter room as the kitchen was to dim for me and I would need some sort of table to use for my wax pot.
They didn't want the lashes they wanted something else the same price. I said ok I can do back massage or facial. So they agreed one will have the facial one will have the back massage.

So all booked for Tuesday. Again I was feeling pretty down cause this has happened

Now today ( Sunday )
I had a text of the mother ..
Basically saying that the daughters gel polish has totally come off two fingers and they no longer want me to recompensate my treatments and she wants a refund on the leg wax and the 2 lashes and the gel polish.
She wasn't rude about it she was nice about it. But basically said if I don't refund she will take it further.
On my page on Facebook I have 63 5 star reviews and I wasn't going to risk that.

I understand it's annoying if lashes have come out but I can't get my head around why they both totally come out the next day!
And why that gel polish come off again. Can't get my head around that.

The waxing patch was my fault I should have moved to a different room but there was no other rooms to use. Just the kitchen which was big enough to hold the couch bed.

Thing is when she text me saying this this Morning. I just come back from taking my boy to football and I was making a Sunday dinner.
She text me saying that so I go upstairs to concentrate and I have my kids arguing then the youngest boy is attached to my hip and being naughty. it's like stress after stress.
I needed Up refunding back what she requested.
But now I'm feeling mega low and unhappy. I've had a cry and feel so unconfident about my buinesss

I have never ever ever needed to refund a client ever !!!! In my whole 11 years of doing beauty.
I have loads of regulars which I should be happy about about.
But I can't help shake the feeling that I'm rubbish and I should choose a different career or just not work and be a full time mother

You know like being mobile I must have about 5-6 different bags / suitcases for each treatment.
It's tiring packing up the car. Then unpacking it going to clients houses. Then pack it back up in car. Then unpacking it for the kids to come in the car for school.
On that Friday I must have token 10 mins to bring everything in to my car. And set it all up.
I don't want to work in a salon as my husband works different hours every week so it's not something I can do
But I do work in a spa doing massages time to time and I love it in there. It's lush that I can just walk in do my treatments and then leave without carry everything with me. But then it is less money. So it's pros and cons really

I don't knkw I'm just feeling mega low cause of it. When your a mobile beautician and your own boss work never seems to switch off I get people texting or messaging me all the time and usually late at night and that. I feel like my work follows me everywhere I go.
But when the kids are in school and my head is clear I then have time for my work and as I said I absolutely love doing what i do. But just find it hard juggling everything around. Plus these clients have really upset me and I hope they don't bad mouth me. Cause I take pride in my work and that's why I'm so annoyed cause this never Happens to my regulars.
So I'm thinking do I just stick to regulars and don't take any big new clients on ?

Help. And tips adcjve anything will help me. X

I am feeling you today!!

Hind sight is a wonderful thing. I’m only newly freelance and it wasn’t until I overtoned a clients hair in poor lighting that I got strict with how I approach situations. I won’t work in dark rooms now. I also always ask about water supply as got caught short washing a bleach job on long hair off with a jug.

Every little comment I take to heart. I feel like people just ping you a message without a thought really. Even my regulars some can be niggly. I posted previously about people sending me hair pics all hours of the day and night. I’m sat here all afternoon after saying I would use my phone on a Sunday because two people cancelled this week only AFTER I confirmed their appointment.

Hang in there as you will have an amazing day and forget these people.

(Little tip, when you confirm add in details in a message like you must have a suitable work space for wax pots and appropriate lighting- I’m going to do a FAQs pic to ping off to all new bookings - it’s all a learning curve)

I am feeling you today!!

Hind sight is a wonderful thing. I’m only newly freelance and it wasn’t until I overtoned a clients hair in poor lighting that I got strict with how I approach situations. I won’t work in dark rooms now. I also always ask about water supply as got caught short washing a bleach job on long hair off with a jug.

Every little comment I take to heart. I feel like people just ping you a message without a thought really. Even my regulars some can be niggly. I posted previously about people sending me hair pics all hours of the day and night. I’m sat here all afternoon after saying I would use my phone on a Sunday because two people cancelled this week only AFTER I confirmed their appointment.

(Little tip, when you confirm add in details in a message like you must have a suitable work space for wax pots and appropriate lighting- I’m going to do a FAQs pic to ping off to all new bookings - it’s all a learning curve)

Yes I definitely will add that on. I normally do say. Please make soon room for me for my bed.
But sometimes they choose the smallest of rooms. It's so annoying. X

Yes I definitely will add that on. I normally do say. Please make soon room for me for my bed.
But sometimes they choose the smallest of rooms. It's so annoying. X

In my head I have a 12 page document of dos and don’ts in my head that I’m going to try to condense down to one slide [emoji23]

DO NOT REFUND!!! They are taking you for a ride. I’m sure I’m right in saying, In law they must give you suitable/adequate opportunity to rectify any issues! A refund for the leg wax after missing a patch, they are having a laugh!!! Choosing different treatments instead of the lashes, they are making a mockery of you & your business...you should never have agreed to that AND requesting a full refund of the manicures too after TWO nails coming off!!!?? I’m sorry but I think that once you agreed to 1 thing they probably thought they would try their luck with everything else. Anyway stand firm, DON’T agree to doing or refunding anything else they are taking the absolute mickey out of you & your business!! Tie up any loose ends with them & NEVER REBOOK THEM AGAIN!!! Chin up!! X

If there is any type of complaint I usually ask for a picture so I can understand what has happened and talk through how the lash falling out process happened...if they are super hesitant to provide any information...most likely you are being taken for a ride..,
It is disheartening...but this is just one person...look at the majority clients that are so happy with what you do [emoji5]️

DO NOT REFUND!!! They are taking you for a ride. I’m sure I’m right in saying, In law they must give you suitable/adequate opportunity to rectify any issues! A refund for the leg wax after missing a patch, they are having a laugh!!! Choosing different treatments instead of the lashes, they are making a mockery of you & your business...you should never have agreed to that AND requesting a full refund of the manicures too after TWO nails coming off!!!?? I’m sorry but I think that once you agreed to 1 thing they probably thought they would try their luck with everything else. Anyway stand firm, DON’T agree to doing or refunding anything else they are taking the absolute mickey out of you & your business!! Tie up any loose ends with them & NEVER REBOOK THEM AGAIN!!! Chin up!! X

Thank you for replying Hun.
In my 11 years of being a beautician I have never refunded ever !!!!
I have always rectified the issue if needed.
But these people were different. They said they both got up the day after having the lashes and every single one come out. I can't get my head around that for a start. That never ever happens!!!!!
So I said I will come back and re do them Tuesday. But they didn't want the lashes again they wanted something else. I explained no I will not be doing anything else I will re do the lashes cause that's what you wanted in the first place. They then went on saying they didn't want it to happen again so that's why they wanted something else. So I said for the price difference I will do a facial or a back massage.
They agreed. So I felt phew ok I rectified the problem.

But today turned me. Between the kids arguing and my carrots nearly burning cooking a Sunday dinner. I just felt like the easier thing was just to refund it. The text message was basically saying because gel polish come off two of the nails they no longer want me to come up Tuesday and will want a refund back for the treatments there weren't happy with. Now. I was going to say look my full leg missed a patch it happens so cause if that I will just charge for a half leg and would have refunded this difference.
But I thought you know what they seem to be the people that know what they are doing. And I was worried they was going to put a bad review on my page. I have 63 5 star reviews. I was so worried and I thought you know what here have your money back.

If I didn't have the kids screaming in my ear and I had a peaceful house I think I would have had more time and patience with it. But I already felt like shit before she text me.

All day today I have felt like shit and unworthy and re think my future doing beauty. Isint it stupid. I have clients my regulars right now messaging me to book so I must be doing something right lol

If there is any type of complaint I usually ask for a picture so I can understand what has happened and talk through how the lash falling out process happened...if they are super hesitant to provide any information...most likely you are being taken for a ride..,
It is disheartening...but this is just one person...look at the majority clients that are so happy with what you do [emoji5]️

Thank you Hun.
The photo she sent me was the top of the side of the thigh. Small little white hairs.
I thought oh come on. Fair enough if they were right at the front and big and black. But it was a patch I missed. But I said I can come up Tuesday to do that patch.
But they were they spoke to me you just knew you weren't going to get anywhere with them. I kind of just felt look here's your money back now leave me alone lol. X

Could the lashes falling off be cause they both had a shower afterwards? I usually have a shower after a wax and that could interfere with the glue. If they hadn’t done it before they could easily not haven taken much notice.
Ask them nicely. Something like that you take so much pride in your work that it bothers you that something like that happened and you want to get to the bottom of it. If they do admit coming in contact with water, you don’t owe them anything.

I am feeling you today!!

Hey hun,

So listen up this is your first complaint in 10years. Congratulations you should be proud of that! Sounds like your doing a fantastic job. Keep it up.

As for the issue that has knocked your confidence, please dont let it. People can be like this in any service industry.. please dont let it knock the great work your doing ☺. Its something that happens.As they say you cant please everyone.

Now, i agree with the photo evidence policy for a refund. Your a mobile therapist. If it happened in a salon they would definatly be storming back into the salon to show you..so the same rules apply. If they dont accept you trying to amend the problem and dont provide evidence of the issue then im sorry but they dont get to call the shots. Its outrageous that they would even be as cheeky enough to say they want exchange services for something completly different. Basically having a free flippin spa day at your expense...ridiculous.

Makes my blood boil does this kind of behaviour. Anyways back to the matter, i would learn from this and re-write my terms and conditions. Always stick by them aswell no acceptions. People can and will try it on so stick to your part of the deal and make them aware of everything before comitting to a treatment agreement.

Mobile work has to be by far the most stressful of beauty based work and i myself have been there done the run around like a crazy person game and it takes it out of you just keep it simple dont overwhelm yourself.

Rules for the mobile:
Turn it off when your working hours finish. Preferably you need a seperate phone. Make clients aware of this. On at 9am off at 5pm
End.

Mobile beauty terms and conditions to be re written and to be strictly followed and explained/emailed to every client/new clients before any treatment is agreed. No acceptions.

Maybe slim down your treatment menu to treatments that are easy to load in and out your car. Example: Nails, spray tans...anything that doesnt require you carrying a couch and the kitchen sink lol.

Just work around your current life style...other wise your take on too much and become stressed and over whelmed...slim it down and keep it simple.

And one last thing...and its one that made life sooo much easier was only accepting new clients that your current customers know orrr family friends or friends of friends. I wouldnt except people who had no relations to current people i knew.

Your a professional and remember you have worked way too hard to be taken for a ride so get yourself back on the saddle and ride on.

Good luck with everything.

I understand what you mean. Its so hard juggling a business, home and kids. I do hair and makeup, have a 5 and 7 year old, partner works away and im nearly 7 months pregnant. Ive been mobile for a year but have just started renting a chair which has been much easier. Ive had 1 complaint for highlights which I thought there was nothing wrong with but refunded her because I just didnt want the hassle. Ive been doing hair for 13 years and could probaly do highlights with my eyes closed but it did knock my confidence and made me want to give up. I keep thinking it would be so much easier and just concentrate on my babies but all this hard work would of being for nothing. You are doing great, keep it up x

I genuinely believe they're having you on, get yourself familiar with the supply of goods and services act. You've offered to rectify the situation, so they can't simply bombard you. You can offer a partial refund if you wish to take into account the services you provided, and speak to your insurance, that is what its there for to deal with scam artists like this trying for a freebie. Good luck, keep your chin up and remember this is the first complaint in 10 years!!! Act breezy:cool: xoxo

I think they were trying it on, did you get to see a pic of all the lashes? Maybe with new clients, limit the first visit to one or two specific services then rebook them for any future ones once you feel comfortable with them as it seems odd that they had an issue with every single thing you did. Don’t worry too much about your fb reviews, most people will look at the bigger picture and if they slated you you would just reply that you offered to revisit and address any concerns but they did not allow you to do so, that way people reading can prob figure out what type of clients they are if all your other reviews are 5 star. I hate that clients feel they can bully people or they can use social media to slate you. it isn’t fair but I think people reading the reviews will look at the overall rating rather then judge you on one negative review. Just blacklist them and move on, we can’t please everyone all the time and you just had a bad experience. Just focus on all your clients that love you and keep rebooking!

I would not refund.They are 100% trying it on.I would only offer to fix the problems

Could the lashes falling off be cause they both had a shower afterwards? I usually have a shower after a wax and that could interfere with the glue. If they hadn’t done it before they could easily not haven taken much notice.
Ask them nicely. Something like that you take so much pride in your work that it bothers you that something like that happened and you want to get to the bottom of it. If they do admit coming in contact with water, you don’t owe them anything.

I was going to ask about the lashes. I'm normally so strong and organised with everything but I don't know with these people. They got on my nerves as soon as she messaged me the next day.
I knew if I went back there they would complain again.
That's the thing. It was a mother and daughter. And the daughter said after she had the treatments she went to work had food and went to bed.

But when the mother text me on the Sunday she said after the daughter had a shower the 2 gel polish come off.
So that was a total lie there and then. But cause I was low about it and the kids were stressing me out that day. I just went for the east option.

If i read all your comments before Hand I definitely would not had refund. Xx

I think they were trying it on, did you get to see a pic of all the lashes? Maybe with new clients, limit the first visit to one or two specific services then rebook them for any future ones once you feel comfortable with them as it seems odd that they had an issue with every single thing you did. Don’t worry too much about your fb reviews, most people will look at the bigger picture and if they slated you you would just reply that you offered to revisit and address any concerns but they did not allow you to do so, that way people reading can prob figure out what type of clients they are if all your other reviews are 5 star. I hate that clients feel they can bully people or they can use social media to slate you. it isn’t fair but I think people reading the reviews will look at the overall rating rather then judge you on one negative review. Just blacklist them and move on, we can’t please everyone all the time and you just had a bad experience. Just focus on all your clients that love you and keep rebooking!

I totally agree with this.
That was a lot of treatments with brand new clients.
I definitely have learned not to do this again.
Only if these clients knew how they make you feel. I was down the whole weekend.
X

I genuinely believe they're having you on, get yourself familiar with the supply of goods and services act. You've offered to rectify the situation, so they can't simply bombard you. You can offer a partial refund if you wish to take into account the services you provided, and speak to your insurance, that is what its there for to deal with scam artists like this trying for a freebie. Good luck, keep your chin up and remember this is the first complaint in 10 years!!! Act breezy:cool: xoxo

Yes I've defo learnt about this
I'm going to re write my terms.
I just acted fast and didn't want hassle.
It was the way they were I don't know something about them I just thought just refund.
But now I defo would have re thought that cause kids are in school so I got more time and patience to deal with it.
Thank you xx

Hey hun,

So listen up this is your first complaint in 10years. Congratulations you should be proud of that! Sounds like your doing a fantastic job. Keep it up.

As for the issue that has knocked your confidence, please dont let it. People can be like this in any service industry.. please dont let it knock the great work your doing ☺. Its something that happens.As they say you cant please everyone.

Now, i agree with the photo evidence policy for a refund. Your a mobile therapist. If it happened in a salon they would definatly be storming back into the salon to show you..so the same rules apply. If they dont accept you trying to amend the problem and dont provide evidence of the issue then im sorry but they dont get to call the shots. Its outrageous that they would even be as cheeky enough to say they want exchange services for something completly different. Basically having a free flippin spa day at your expense...ridiculous.

Makes my blood boil does this kind of behaviour. Anyways back to the matter, i would learn from this and re-write my terms and conditions. Always stick by them aswell no acceptions. People can and will try it on so stick to your part of the deal and make them aware of everything before comitting to a treatment agreement.

Mobile work has to be by far the most stressful of beauty based work and i myself have been there done the run around like a crazy person game and it takes it out of you just keep it simple dont overwhelm yourself.

Rules for the mobile:
Turn it off when your working hours finish. Preferably you need a seperate phone. Make clients aware of this. On at 9am off at 5pm
End.

Mobile beauty terms and conditions to be re written and to be strictly followed and explained/emailed to every client/new clients before any treatment is agreed. No acceptions.

Maybe slim down your treatment menu to treatments that are easy to load in and out your car. Example: Nails, spray tans...anything that doesnt require you carrying a couch and the kitchen sink lol.

Just work around your current life style...other wise your take on too much and become stressed and over whelmed...slim it down and keep it simple.

And one last thing...and its one that made life sooo much easier was only accepting new clients that your current customers know orrr family friends or friends of friends. I wouldnt except people who had no relations to current people i knew.

Your a professional and remember you have worked way too hard to be taken for a ride so get yourself back on the saddle and ride on.

Good luck with everything.

Thank you so much Hun.
I love your comment.
I'm definitely going to write a terms and conditions and send it to each client.
Where do I get a template of this Hun. Xx

Thank you so much Hun.
I love your comment.
I'm definitely going to write a terms and conditions and send it to each client.
Where do I get a template of this Hun. Xx

You could go online and search to see what other mobile therapists have written on theirs. I would basically sit down and write the points you want to put across to customers existing or future. So basically you need to give them clear guidlines to how your business works with refunds, contact hours, cancellations and deposits...so on so forth. Make sure new customers read these before they make an appointment with you. Just have think and get two different people to proof read them.

I worked for a company who were super tight with the terms and conditions and it really sivved out the bad customers. They really didnt take crap from people and yes some people got upset when they were told they had lost there deposit due to not sticking to the terms and conditions i.e wanting to re-arrange 20mins before treatment when the terms said 1hour but at the end of the day you really dont want those clients anyways..too much messing around and stress. You want to do your job happy stress free without that hassle.

So yeah have a browse and come up with your own terms aswell. What will you put with and what wont you just make sure your able to stick to them. In the end youl have a great bunch of clients that respect and support you.

Some people are just awful. You've already offered to put it right for them but they don't want you to do that because clearly they just want their money back. Don't give them a refund. If you get a bad Facebook review it's just 1 review verses all your other lovely ones. Anyone looking at it willvalso see all your good reviews. I go so sick of clients trying to blackmail us all with the dreaded Facebook review. Whenever we get a crappy one I ask a couple of the regulars to write us nice one to counter act it. Don't let the arseholes get you down!!!

Hi there
I've been a beautician for 11 years. I've worked in a few salons and worked on a cruise liner.
I absolutely love doing beauty therapy and being mobile is definitely easy as I have 2 children.
BUT
I've been doing mobile for 6 years now. And as my kids are getting older I'm finding it harder juggling my own business and the kids. I have two boys 5 and 3 and they are busy busy kids.
I feel like I manage to juggle the kids , work , housework and the rest as women have to do.
So that's me.
So I have a lovely list of regular clients but I do take on new ones to.
So Friday I had new clients with a large booking. 2 women mother and daughter.
Includes eyelash extensions, full leg wax, pedicures , gel polish , facials , eyebrow wax and tints
So I was there from 9-5 in the house cause I had so much to do.
I went in the kitchen to do waxing as I needed a counter to put the wax pot on. But the lighting in the kitchen wasn't the best so I took an hour doing a full leg wax I triple check the legs and I couldn't see nothing. Neither did the client.
I did fuller lashes using the cluster lashes that I always use. I'm so confident with my eyelashes I would swear on my life how good I am doing them. I have so many clients who love my lashes and swear by coming to me. I do my own lashes and I get two weeks out of them. Which technically they are weekend lashes.
Sooo anyway....
I was happy with the service i provided and so were they.
I had a message yesterday off the daughter with a long essay I'm thinking oh great
It said that both hers and her mums lashes completely come off. Like literally not one lash left on !!!! I'm like what the heck how can that be. There were perfect when I left. So I was annoyed about that.
Then I missed a patch of blonde hairs on the top of the thighs.

Sooo I said I can return on Tuesday and re do the lashes and do any patched I may have missed but I would do it in a much lighter room as the kitchen was to dim for me and I would need some sort of table to use for my wax pot.
They didn't want the lashes they wanted something else the same price. I said ok I can do back massage or facial. So they agreed one will have the facial one will have the back massage.

So all booked for Tuesday. Again I was feeling pretty down cause this has happened

Now today ( Sunday )
I had a text of the mother ..
Basically saying that the daughters gel polish has totally come off two fingers and they no longer want me to recompensate my treatments and she wants a refund on the leg wax and the 2 lashes and the gel polish.
She wasn't rude about it she was nice about it. But basically said if I don't refund she will take it further.
On my page on Facebook I have 63 5 star reviews and I wasn't going to risk that.

I understand it's annoying if lashes have come out but I can't get my head around why they both totally come out the next day!
And why that gel polish come off again. Can't get my head around that.

The waxing patch was my fault I should have moved to a different room but there was no other rooms to use. Just the kitchen which was big enough to hold the couch bed.

Thing is when she text me saying this this Morning. I just come back from taking my boy to football and I was making a Sunday dinner.
She text me saying that so I go upstairs to concentrate and I have my kids arguing then the youngest boy is attached to my hip and being naughty. it's like stress after stress.
I needed Up refunding back what she requested.
But now I'm feeling mega low and unhappy. I've had a cry and feel so unconfident about my buinesss

I have never ever ever needed to refund a client ever !!!! In my whole 11 years of doing beauty.
I have loads of regulars which I should be happy about about.
But I can't help shake the feeling that I'm rubbish and I should choose a different career or just not work and be a full time mother

You know like being mobile I must have about 5-6 different bags / suitcases for each treatment.
It's tiring packing up the car. Then unpacking it going to clients houses. Then pack it back up in car. Then unpacking it for the kids to come in the car for school.
On that Friday I must have token 10 mins to bring everything in to my car. And set it all up.
I don't want to work in a salon as my husband works different hours every week so it's not something I can do
But I do work in a spa doing massages time to time and I love it in there. It's lush that I can just walk in do my treatments and then leave without carry everything with me. But then it is less money. So it's pros and cons really

I don't knkw I'm just feeling mega low cause of it. When your a mobile beautician and your own boss work never seems to switch off I get people texting or messaging me all the time and usually late at night and that. I feel like my work follows me everywhere I go.
But when the kids are in school and my head is clear I then have time for my work and as I said I absolutely love doing what i do. But just find it hard juggling everything around. Plus these clients have really upset me and I hope they don't bad mouth me. Cause I take pride in my work and that's why I'm so annoyed cause this never Happens to my regulars.
So I'm thinking do I just stick to regulars and don't take any big new clients on ?

Help. And tips adcjve anything will help me. X

Latest posts

Back