Mobile beauty therapy or renting room in a salon? Advice gratefully received

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyLou81

Reaction score
I would like some views/ideas/opinions from experts or anyone experienced in this field on which route they recommend as I am in such a dilemma and I don't have much time left to decide.

I am qualifying as a L3 Swedish Massage Therapist and a L2 Beauty Therapist next month and I have been advertising as a mobile therapist, but when reality is setting in I think I underestimated the whole situation of mobile work.

If I give some details about my situation then it may be easier for you to offer advice.

I originally wanted to be a massage therapists but I didn't realise my wrists were that weak (they were damaged about 12 years ago) and I know they won't last massaging full time so I had to change plans and decided on a beauty course to add to my business to ease the pressure off the wrists.

I am a full time mum to a 9 y/o but have great support with friends and family etc but it is her and I all the time, my idea was to work school hours and if I had any clients booked in after those hours, I would work her round play dates, family etc but not work after 7pm.
I am 5ft :) - the reason I tell you this is for continual carrying of the equipment in and out of houses/cars/stairs etc.

But being mobile covers such a wide area geographically I thought business would be better being mobile??

Or should I hire a room 3/4 days a week and be mobile 2/3 p/w ?

And only do waxing in the room hired rather than mobile due to time it has to heat up - ie transporting it?
How do you transport hot wax after visiting a client and do you only offer waxing with a treatment beforehand due to the time it takes to heat up??

I have so many questions, apologies In advance.
And thank you to anyone that replies x

Whether you choose to be mobile or rent a room, neither are easy. Being mobile you wouldn't want to cover a large area due to travel time, fuel costs and wear and tear on your vehicle.

Really it's about how good you are at marketing because all your customers are currently going somewhere else and you need to have a USP to bring them to you :)

Whether you choose to be mobile or rent a room, neither are easy. Being mobile you wouldn't want to cover a large area due to travel time, fuel costs and wear and tear on your vehicle.

Really it's about how good you are at marketing because all your customers are currently going somewhere else and you need to have a USP to bring them to you :)

My USP is that all my products are clean - non toxic, chemical free, paraben free etc etc so local to me that is not happening In any places. They only have some products like that.

Thank you for your reply x

I am mobile and I absolutely love it! I’ve been doing it now for 3 years and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m lucky enough to only have a few other mobile therapists in my area. It’s a bit of a pain having to transport everything, however for the money I make it is 100% worth it x

Also, for example I live in Reading and cover Reading and surrounding villages, however any further out I don’t do unless they are will to pay for my travel expenses. I have enough clients now not to need to travel out of the area much x

I did mobile a few years ago and it wasn't long before I hated it. The constant packing + unpacking of equipment, finding properties and parking, not knowing how much space / lighting I would have.. I wouldn't go mobile again. I also couldnt create a tranquil environment for my clients and was sometimes harassed by their pets .

I did do waxing.. a nightmare cos in order to avoid getting wax on their carpets I carried plasticy tablecloth material around (more cleaning and packing!) I preheated wax in one of those heaters that hold the roller system, transported it in a palstic storage box and then plugged it in again on arrival. Obviously all your used wax strips are supposed to be disposed of professionally too. So, it is possible but it's highly inconvenient!

I do manicure, Pedicures and facials plus waxing. I am mobile and only have a small car. Like you I am short but my problem is with bad knees instead of wrists. I visit an acupuncturist weekly to help with the knees and other aches which works grand. I advertise through the local buy and sell plus Craigslist and Facebook but state very clearly the areas that I am willing to cover and queries from out of this I take depending on the treatment wanted and ease of access (Irish roads are often narrow country lanes). Biggest problem found are trolls making fun of photos of clients on line. Other problem is that you can never tell what products are going to react badly with others, especially nail polishes. There are lots of salons where I am, about 7 in the local highstreet alone so mobile means that I can get clients who wouldn't otherwise use anyone. Write up pro and con, see the competition in salons, decide on a specific travel area and advertising available in local free sites. Both are good, it depends on the local area.

I am mobile and I absolutely love it! I’ve been doing it now for 3 years and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m lucky enough to only have a few other mobile therapists in my area. It’s a bit of a pain having to transport everything, however for the money I make it is 100% worth it x
Thank you for your experience - I live in an area that there are a lot of beauty places in town not far from me and there are a few mobile therapists too. There is enough business for everyone - I think i just need to market myself well.
Glad you are loving it still :) x

I did mobile a few years ago and it wasn't long before I hated it. The constant packing + unpacking of equipment, finding properties and parking, not knowing how much space / lighting I would have.. I wouldn't go mobile again. I also couldnt create a tranquil environment for my clients and was sometimes harassed by their pets .

I did do waxing.. a nightmare cos in order to avoid getting wax on their carpets I carried plasticy tablecloth material around (more cleaning and packing!) I preheated wax in one of those heaters that hold the roller system, transported it in a palstic storage box and then plugged it in again on arrival. Obviously all your used wax strips are supposed to be disposed of professionally too. So, it is possible but it's highly inconvenient!

Yes i kinda feel the same way about waxing mobile and all the other obstacles that appear being mobile.
Thanks for your advice x

I do manicure, Pedicures and facials plus waxing. I am mobile and only have a small car. Like you I am short but my problem is with bad knees instead of wrists. I visit an acupuncturist weekly to help with the knees and other aches which works grand. I advertise through the local buy and sell plus Craigslist and Facebook but state very clearly the areas that I am willing to cover and queries from out of this I take depending on the treatment wanted and ease of access (Irish roads are often narrow country lanes). Biggest problem found are trolls making fun of photos of clients on line. Other problem is that you can never tell what products are going to react badly with others, especially nail polishes. There are lots of salons where I am, about 7 in the local highstreet alone so mobile means that I can get clients who wouldn't otherwise use anyone. Write up pro and con, see the competition in salons, decide on a specific travel area and advertising available in local free sites. Both are good, it depends on the local area.

Yes there are lots where i am too and mobile therapists because i am a bigger town just outside London, I spoke to a physiotherapist last week and he mentioned some of the advertisements places you mentioned - also Treatwell - i'm not sure if that is just a thing where i am,but he got a good response from those ads apparently , Such a hard decision when it's just my income coming in for my daughter.
Trolling photos online ? I hadn't heard that from any mobile therapists - the internet can be a very dark place sometimes.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Be careful on those country lanes :) x

Tip for waxing as well, with your warm wax use roller waxes! I personally find them so much quicker and there is also 0% chance of wax going anywhere! That was the main reason I got the Perron Rigot roller wax system. Hot wax you’ve still got to be careful with but it’s easy enough to be careful. When you pack your hot wax away, turn it off as soon as you have finished using it and then pack it in tightly around everything else so no chance of spillage. I use a plastic storage container for my waxing supplies.
I’ve got so many tips to make life easier being mobile, it’s got to the point where I don’t even think about the effort anymore. I make sure there is nearby parking at every clients house, I have terms and conditions on my website and get each new client to have a look over them when booking. I also have these attached to their client record cards and get them to sign them. The fact that I run my mobile beauty business exactly like a salon/any other business really has done the world of good because I have my t&c’s in place which means I very rarely get messed around anymore. Before I got these in place and then signed at first appointment, I was forever getting late cancellations/6 changes of appointments, even people not being at home. With these I’ve covered myself so I don’t financially lose out and I get clients who aren’t going to be a pain.
The most important thing to me when I started out was mobile should be bringing a salon to the client, I have heard so many times where they’ve had mobile therapists before but have felt short changed. In my mind, if you’re going to go mobile run your business just like you would a salon. Be meticulous with detail, just because it’s on the road doesn’t mean it can’t be just as good as a salon if you put in the effort [emoji2] all my clients have commented on how it’s like having the salon brought to them which is exactly what I was aiming for xx

Tip for waxing as well, with your warm wax use roller waxes! I personally find them so much quicker and there is also 0% chance of wax going anywhere! That was the main reason I got the Perron Rigot roller wax system. Hot wax you’ve still got to be careful with but it’s easy enough to be careful. When you pack your hot wax away, turn it off as soon as you have finished using it and then pack it in tightly around everything else so no chance of spillage. I use a plastic storage container for my waxing supplies.
I’ve got so many tips to make life easier being mobile, it’s got to the point where I don’t even think about the effort anymore. I make sure there is nearby parking at every clients house, I have terms and conditions on my website and get each new client to have a look over them when booking. I also have these attached to their client record cards and get them to sign them. The fact that I run my mobile beauty business exactly like a salon/any other business really has done the world of good because I have my t&c’s in place which means I very rarely get messed around anymore. Before I got these in place and then signed at first appointment, I was forever getting late cancellations/6 changes of appointments, even people not being at home. With these I’ve covered myself so I don’t financially lose out and I get clients who aren’t going to be a pain.
The most important thing to me when I started out was mobile should be bringing a salon to the client, I have heard so many times where they’ve had mobile therapists before but have felt short changed. In my mind, if you’re going to go mobile run your business just like you would a salon. Be meticulous with detail, just because it’s on the road doesn’t mean it can’t be just as good as a salon if you put in the effort [emoji2] all my clients have commented on how it’s like having the salon brought to them which is exactly what I was aiming for xx

Thank you so much!! I’ve sent you a message xx

Latest posts

Back