Mobile business advice, what treatments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlissedBeauty

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m new to salon geek so please excuse me if this isn’t the right area, but I’m looking for some advice about my mobile business.

I’m currently in the process of setting up a mobile nail and beauty business ( hoping to go live in August once my maternity leave is finished) and have completed a CND shellac course . I was looking at doing a Brisa Gel and L&P course to go with it but having trouble with training dates

I’ve also realised out of all of my case studies ( 15 or so, my mum is the only one with overlays or extensions) , is it worth focusing on other treatments, instead of trying to get the other nail courses in? If so what treatments work well from a mobile perspective?
I’m new to the industry and just trying to do something around family life that means little one doesn’t have to go into childcare.

I had a plan to become facial, spray tan and wax qualified, along with the nail side of things , but I’m questioning myself a bit now as to what to do first ( have limited training budget).
Would be really grateful for any advice .

Thanks everyone
Xxx

Hey that's exciting setting up something new. Ive been in the industry for 20years. And am currently thinking of setting up also at home as well as wrking part time in salon. I think the beauty industry is overwhelming. So why not perfect your nails and start with that and get busy. And intriduce new treatment as and when you feel ready and confident. They're is no rush the indusrty os changing all the time. And the clients you start to build up may help dictate what you need to add and learn next. Xx
Good luck
Hi all,
I’m new to salon geek so please excuse me if this isn’t the right area, but I’m looking for some advice about my mobile business.

I’m currently in the process of setting up a mobile nail and beauty business ( hoping to go live in August once my maternity leave is finished) and have completed a CND shellac course . I was looking at doing a Brisa Gel and L&P course to go with it but having trouble with training dates

I’ve also realised out of all of my case studies ( 15 or so, my mum is the only one with overlays or extensions) , is it worth focusing on other treatments, instead of trying to get the other nail courses in? If so what treatments work well from a mobile perspective?
I’m new to the industry and just trying to do something around family life that means little one doesn’t have to go into childcare.

I had a plan to become facial, spray tan and wax qualified, along with the nail side of things , but I’m questioning myself a bit now as to what to do first ( have limited training budget).
Would be really grateful for any advice .

Thanks everyone
Xxx

Hiya, I'm a mobile Beauty Therapist - I started with makeup and nails, then took a facial course to add to my services. Over a 6 month period I took notes of what treatments potential clients were asking if I provided and then tailored my training to client demand, obviously if one person asked if I did microblading I wouldn't run out and do that course but when 8 people ask if you do waxing it's worth taking it on board. It can be slow going until you're name gets out there - I've been running my business for almost 2 years and I'm just now starting to get as busy as I wanted to be, which isn't a bad thing - I went to Business gateway for advice before I set things up and they said it can take up to 3 years to build a decent clientele.

Thanks so much for all of the advice . I’m only going to be working very part time so it will be very slow to start . Hopefully being able to build as little one gets bigger.
Any other tips as a mobile therapist?

Be mindful of your kit - you're the one who has to carry it everywhere. Slim down where you can and buy (or recycle) lots of little empty bottles to decant products from larger containers into. It's cheaper to buy 1ltr of acetone or 2 ltrs of massage oil but it's not really great to cart around.
Make your clients know, without a doubt, how much you appreciate their custom and want to focus on their experience. I over-time my appointments so I'm never rushing through one client to get to the next one. At the beginning, you might not have to worry about this, but always plan for when you're busier when you finalise exactly what is included in your treatments e.g if you do a hand and arm massage after a gel polish when you're quiet but stop giving that when you get busier - your clients will notice.
Make a big deal out of catering for those with crazy schedules or other reasons they might not be able to get out and about to a salon. Ensure your availability is for when your clients have time - evenings will probably be your busiest time as you'll pull in those who don't finish work until 5pm Mon - Fri and spend time with their kids at the weekend.
Every single one of my clients has at least one child and they all work - every single one of them is so happy to have found someone who will come to their house to do treatments after dinner or after the little ones have gone to bed because it frees up their day off or prevents them having to take time off work or away from their kids to get their legs waxed or their nails done for a night out etc.
I have facial and massage clients who are already in their pyjamas when I turn up at their door because they know they'll just get to chill out and go to bed after I've worked my magic - and I LOVE that, because it means they've found a comfort level with me that they wouldn't have at a salon.

That’s amazing , I hope that I have that experience too . Thank you so much for sharing xx

Oh and tailor your appearance to your clients too - I tend to run more casual with t-shirt that has my business logo on and plain black trousers. The more comfortable you are in someone's home, the more comfortable they'll be having you there. I found when I wore my salon tunic with makeup etc. more of my clients spent their appointment apologising for the mess in their home or stressing out about kids making the slightest noise. Since I changed to a more casual appearance, my clients seem more relaxed in my company.

Obviously if you have super-posh clients in a well-off area they'll expect something a little more professional - but for a frazzled mum-of-three in an ex-council flat who just wants her nails done for her sister's wedding, casual is best ;)

Thanks very much
Do you like being mobile ? Do you find it works for you?

I like being mobile as it keeps costs down - whether I can keep up the same momentum with it in 10 years when I'm in my 50s is always on my mind though. It's been fantastic for my mental health - for my whole working life I've been caught between bosses telling me what to do and younger staff asking me how to do things, so being the one in charge and not having to worry about anyone else has been amazing.

So brilliant ! And very inspiring ! Thank you so much for sharing your experience xx

Latest posts

Back