Mobile clients smoking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachul123

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im a mobile hairdresser and quite afew of my clients smoke while I'm doing their hair.
I'm not overly scared for my health (although being an ex smoker I stopped for that reason!)
But its the smell on my gown and sometimes even my hairdryer/brushes/straighteners, not to mention my clothes.
Its not fair on my next client if I don't have time to nip home to freshen everything up!

How do all you other mobile hair/beauty people deal with smokers? Xx

I am a nail tech so it's Easyer for me because I just tell them that all my products are very flammable so they will have to wait till I leave I would just be honest and say I don't want my stuff smelling like cigarettes for my next lady can you wait until I've finished ?

I am a nail tech so it's Easyer for me because I just tell them that all my products are very flammable so they will have to wait till I leave I would just be honest and say I don't want my stuff smelling like cigarettes for my next lady can you wait until I've finished ?

Yeah I suppose thats the only way I can do it, I know I'm not being unreasonable!
Its with it being their home I don't want to come off as rude x

I have the same problem! I usually will put my gowns in a quick wash when I get home, but I agree it's very annoying! X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi!!
I have the same thing so I have an extra gown for smokers to use. I also carry a mini bottle of fabreeze or a small fragranced anti bacterial spray for my brushes! And I always carry perfume so I don't smell of it either! It's difficult as its their home but its a pain when you go away smelling of it! X

I have a client that smokes one after the other when I'm doing her hair! It's horrible when I'm doing a perm as I'm there for a while, I leave feeling sick and my eyes stinging! :-( x

Might have just made this up but...
I thought that as soon as you step onto those premises it's a place of work therefore with today's laws no smoking is allowed. Especially indoors.
Same with carers and nurses that do home visits. Or anyone else for that matter.
As I say I'm not sure where I heard this or how true it is. But it would be worth looking into.

LolliDolli💋

I'm pretty sure your correct, my dad and husband both send people to work in people's houses and if they are smoking they can ask the householder to stop smoking and refuse too work in the property, there are definitely laws for this but I don't think a client would be very happy if their stylist or therapist said stop smoking or I'm leaving. It's very awkward and could lose you business if you did refuse to work in the property

I simply say when booking "I ask that if you have pets, to please keep them in a separate area to where I'll be working and if you are a smoker, to please refrain from smoking while I'm present. This is due to allergies of mine and following clients. Thank You for your understanding" I've never had anyone get upset over it, and it then heads off any uncomfortable conversation in the middle of a treatment :)

My client that smokes is very abrupt and speaks her mind. She would prob tell me it's her house she can do what she likes. When i fall pregnant I will def tell her to not smoke or she can find someone else x

Might have just made this up but...
I thought that as soon as you step onto those premises it's a place of work therefore with today's laws no smoking is allowed. Especially indoors.
Same with carers and nurses that do home visits. Or anyone else for that matter.
As I say I'm not sure where I heard this or how true it is. But it would be worth looking into.

LolliDolli💋

I thought I heard this too, they wouldn't smoke in a salon where hairdressers work so they should respect mobile workers too.

went through this when i was a carer as i asked a clients son not so smoke when we are there attending to his mum,the reply i got was dont bother coming back lol, trouble is i beleive you have to have 2 people working in there at the same time before its classed as a place of work.

You can ask them not to smoke 2 hours before you arrive and during your visit x

I am a smoker (eeeekkkk) & many of my friends & family smoke not a one person I know smokes in their own house, neither do I. Nor do I smoke just before or inbetween clients.

I think its unfair & disrespectful to expect to smoke throughout a treatment... I wouldnt mind so much if lets say I was doing hair & whilst waiting for colour to take If they nipped outside. Xx

I'm fed up of walking in to houses smelling of weed !!! That they've either just smoked or someone else is smoking in another room !!!! Bleuurggggh! It stinks! :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I can't believe people can't wait an hour or 2 to have a fag! I've had people ask if they can smoke in the salon before the smoking ban came in! Obviously I said no but the client was very put out. I explained about flammable products etc but she still didn't get it! And I was a smoker at the time but never smoked during my work hrz as I personally think its not very professional stinking of smoke & breathing faggy breath at clients.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Reactions: Dnx
I'm fed up of walking in to houses smelling of weed !!! That they've either just smoked or someone else is smoking in another room !!!! Bleuurggggh! It stinks! :(

I think that just crosses the line. At least cigarettes are legal...x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think that just crosses the line. At least cigarettes are legal...x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know !!! People are just so blazè abbout cannabis, they don't even seem ashamed! I would definitely draw the line if they done it in front of me. It's just so hard being their own home. How can I say "Please don't smoke a joint the night before I come... it stinks!" Lol xxx

I know !!! People are just so blazè abbout cannabis, they don't even seem ashamed! I would definitely draw the line if they done it in front of me. It's just so hard being their own home. How can I say "Please don't smoke a joint the night before I come... it stinks!" Lol xxx

I remember some dodgy mate ask me to met her for coffee back in1992 in bhs coffee shop. Her and her new man were smoking a joint next to the old grannies having their scones, needless to say the store detective politely asked us to leave. Im still shocked by it they thaught it was ok as it was in the smoking section.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yep, ive been to at least 4 houses where its not something thats hidden, the places stink n often signs of use around the house. Im surprised they dont clean up n spray air freshener! Xx

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and recently went to a clients house (a small flat actually) and she was smoking around me. I asked her if she would mind going to the window because I felt a bit sick and she opened her window the smallest crack ever. Her boyfriend then showed up from work and the 2 of them smoked in the same room I was in. I was so annoyed the next time she asked for an appt I made her come to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back