Mobile- do you all charge mileage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoria1984

Reaction score
I live in an area with a large number of rural villages etc
I wasn't going to charge mileage as an add on as personally I don't like it......but now I think I might be making a big mistake and perhaps should have a mileage add on for journeys over a certain distance or time.

So do all my fellow mobile therapist charge so form of a mileage fee?

Mine is included in the price of the treatment, but I may have to look at increasing after a while if the fuel prices keep going up

When you set your prices did you campare with salons or mobile, I did abit of both and am some where in the middle. I think even with petrol my running costs per treatment are lower than a salons would be. It would be better if I had an electric car though :)

For certain areas- I travel free, but I have a min call out charge so I am not wasting my time, I also knock a little bit off when clients having multiple treatments in 1 appt as it saves me 1-going back another day (travelling time) 2- fuel.

If someone is out of my catchment area I work out on aa route planner how many miles/mins it will take and add on a small realistic fuel charge-BUT this will only be done IF I am not busy that day.

When doing ur taxes if ur mobile u can count 45p per mile as ur expenses. Xx

oh thats good to know I thought it was 25p per mile for some reason. I've been up at a farm today doing test patches. Lots of little country roads (with steep drops), and even some off roading. May be danger money would be better then a mileage charge for me :) xx

I'm not mobile now but when I was, I would travel up to a mile no charge. Over that and it was £5 but I simply wouldn't entertain going much further than about a 10/15 minute journey or it's just not worth it. You could be getting paid far more fitting in another nail client rather than getting your fiver or whatever for driving about.

I would also watch out when it's repairs people want . . . I would say I had a minimum charge of £10 (plus mileage if they were over a mile away), so they may only have one or two nails to repair but it would be £10. Or they could come to me for their repair. (That was what happened most of the time)

I live in a very rural area. My nearest client is 3 miles away (one way) and my furthest client is 56 miles away(round trip). On average I travel about 8 miles (one way) to see a client. When I first set up nearly four years ago, I was that desperate for the business that I went anywhere for the same price but now, mainly because the price of fuel has shot up and because I cover such a huge area, I've had to incorporate a catchment area. Anybody over 10 miles is charged 45p a mile extra unless I'm doing several clients in the area. I also have a minimum charge, irrelevant of where they live of £20.

I'm salon based but you have to include the petrol in your prices somewhere or you will be losing profit and working for less.

All of your expenditures should be taken into account when setting prices.

It's often not, but mobile beauty should be marketed as a premium service not a cheaper service.

Think its 25@ per mile fuel.

The 45p per mile inc fuel, any insurace/tax/wear on ur car...

So I don't inc my insurance or road tax etc in my tax return- as I use my car for other purposes. Xx

I'm salon based but you have to include the petrol in your prices somewhere or you will be losing profit and working for less.

All of your expenditures should be taken into account when setting prices.

It's often not, but mobile beauty should be marketed as a premium service not a cheaper service.

I agree and have spent quite some time working out profit margins etc
I think I will introduce a nominal fee for clients over x number for miles from me, at the moment I don't need to worry about a minimum charge as my lowest price treatment is 35 which makes the trip worth while.

I'm mobile and I don't charge for travelling with in a 10 mile radius as this is incorporated within my pricing.

I worked out much it was going to cost me in petrol from how many miles per gallon my car does for 20 miles (10 there and 10 back) so if they are less than 10 miles it's a bonus.

I haven't had anyone outside of this radius yet but if I do it will depend on how far away they are and what they want for how much I charge. For example if they live 15 miles away and want 2 treatments at the same time I probably won't charge any extra as I have priced the petrol for the 10 mile radius into each treatment but I will make them aware that it is because they are getting multiple treatments.

I think you need to work out your petrol costs for your vehicle to decide how far you are willing to travel without charging.

Remember as Mobile, you don't have fixed overheads like you would in a salon. So in essence, your mileage is roughly equivilent to your rent. Even if you don't charge for mileage, you should be able to claim it as a business expense at (I think) 40p per mile just as you would be able to expense out salon rent.

Just another point to conisder :)

Thanks The Geek, it's a good point. I think people sometime forget they should be offsetting all business costs.

Latest posts

Back