Mobile hair kit essentials

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylacalliex

Reaction score
I began hairdressing in 2009, always worked salon based. But I took a break from it in 2018 and I want to get back into it and go mobile. Most of my things have seen better days, so I’m gonna have to start my kit from scratch. What are some mobile essentials?? I don’t mean like the obvious things scissors hairdryer etc, more like the things only mobile hairdressers would need to think about. I have never done mobile before so there is probably a lot of things I’m not thinking of!

My go - to items are:
- Portable backwash. Mine cost about £50 from ebay and was the best investment I ever made. In terms of bringing the salon experience to the client it is brilliant. No need to worry about asking them to rinse off themselves or rinsing forwards over sinks or bath, this works exactly the same as a fixed backwash. It's height adjustable, separates at the base and is very lightweight. You can use any chair with it provided the back is not above neck height, including wheelchairs. Really portable too, I can lay it across the back seats of my little Peugeot 106. It has a waste pipe that I usually have directing into a bucket (one of those 12L ones you can get at B&Q) that then gets emptied after into sink/bath etc.

- Portable shower. This is a usb rechargeable shower, the battery/pump end is submerged in a bucket of clean warm water that you want to rinse with and then can use as a normal shower head. Mine came with two types of head attachments, the normal shower head type and the type you'd get in a salon basin with a on/off switch. Makes rinsing and washing a doddle! Also from ebay.

I've had so many positive comments from clients about my washing setup, they all think it's fantastic and love not having to do anything, it's literally like I've brought a salon to them.

Also other random things I've found useful - an old large sheet for catching hair, some clients are happy to sweep or vacuum after but for my older clients I use the sheet so they don't have to. An extension lead - you can't always guarantee a plug socket will be within reach. And lots of towels, I always take all my own towels and so pleased I do as quite a few now have large bleach marks on them 😂. I also find a tool belt invaluable as there are not always handy or available (or clean 🤔😨) surfaces to put things on.

It's also a really good idea to keep a couple of shampoo caps handy. You can get these online, they're for people who can't wash their hair. Basically a shower cap with some special soap stuff in it, you just take it out packet, put on, massage like you would a normal shampoo and take it off. Hair will be wet and clean, and doesn't need rinsing. I have no idea how it works but they're amazing! Fantastic for older clients. I have occasionally had the time when I've gone to an older client who has extremely limited mobility and they feel to ill to move from their recliner to another chair for me to wash their hair, but still want their hair done. This is where the caps are great! Then I can wash, cut and blow dry or set all whilst they're in their armchair and they don't have to move.

All the best with going mobile! 😀

Last edited:
My go - to items are:
- Portable backwash. Mine cost about £50 from ebay and was the best investment I ever made. In terms of bringing the salon experience to the client it is brilliant. No need to worry about asking them to rinse off themselves or rinsing forwards over sinks or bath, this works exactly the same as a fixed backwash. It's height adjustable, separates at the base and is very lightweight. You can use any chair with it provided the back is not above neck height, including wheelchairs. Really portable too, I can lay it across the back seats of my little Peugeot 106. It has a waste pipe that I usually have directing into a bucket (one of those 12L ones you can get at B&Q) that then gets emptied after into sink/bath etc.

- Portable shower. This is a usb rechargeable shower, the battery/pump end is submerged in a bucket of clean warm water that you want to rinse with and then can use as a normal shower head. Mine came with two types of head attachments, the normal shower head type and the type you'd get in a salon basin with a on/off switch. Makes rinsing and washing a doddle! Also from ebay.

I've had so many positive comments from clients about my washing setup, they all think it's fantastic and love not having to do anything, it's literally like I've brought a salon to them.

Also other random things I've found useful - an old large sheet for catching hair, some clients are happy to sweep or vacuum after but for my older clients I use the sheet so they don't have to. An extension lead - you can't always guarantee a plug socket will be within reach. And lots of towels, I always take all my own towels and so pleased I do as quite a few now have large bleach marks on them 😂. I also find a tool belt invaluable as there are not always handy or available (or clean 🤔😨) surfaces to put things on.

It's also a really good idea to keep a couple of shampoo caps handy. You can get these online, they're for people who can't wash their hair. Basically a shower cap with some special soap stuff in it, you just take it out packet, put on, massage like you would a normal shampoo and take it off. Hair will be wet and clean, and doesn't need rinsing. I have no idea how it works but they're amazing! Fantastic for older clients. I have occasionally had the time when I've gone to an older client who has extremely limited mobility and they feel to ill to move from their recliner to another chair for me to wash their hair, but still want their hair done. This is where the caps are great! Then I can wash, cut and blow dry or set all whilst they're in their armchair and they don't have to move.

Wow I never realised you could get basins so cheap! I will have to check ebay! And the shower head sounds amazing too. Thank you so much!

My go - to items are:

do you have any links please? Your basin and shower sound great. Thanks x

Im liking the idea of a shampoo cap never knew there was such a thing ☺

Latest posts

Back