Mobile hairdresser price lists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissStacie

Reaction score
Hey all. I have frequented salon geek for a few years now but never actually posted. I have been hairdressing for 18 years, I took a year out when my second child was born and went mobile after that so around 8 years. The problem I’m having is...I just don’t know what to charge!! A lot of my clients have been with me since I was 17, a few even started and stuck with me whilst I was training. These are the ones that think I owe them a favour (one actually said to me that she thought that she should be getting a discount cos she’s been with me for so long!!) My husband has been on at me for years to up my prices and has suggested that now in addition to upping my prices that I add a charge on for ppe. I will add that in 8 years My prices have went up by £5. I am now finding myself worrying about starting again on the 15th July. Currently I charge

Cut/blow dry £15.00
Dry/wet cut £10.00
Full head highlights cut and blow £50
Half head highlights cut and blow £45
Add a toner £10
Full head colour cut and blow £40

I try to use wella where I can but I’m finding myself having to use cheaper brands I.e Xp just so I’m making profit. I guess really I’m asking 1- if you think my prices are ok and 2- should I add a ppe surcharge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t know quite what to say to you......
You must know that these prices are way too cheap
Your tint will be costing you a tenner a tube - so how come you are putting a toner on for free!!
I don’t know how long you are spending on each service, or the quality of your work, but a cut & Blowdry should be at least double what you are charging for someone with 18 years experience
Bite the bullet - get some nice price lists printed & start looking for some fresh clients - as your old ones won’t want to trump up the extra cost.
There really is no point in being a busy fool

Just to add I charge £45.00 - £50.00 for a cut & blow dry & I take a hour..... you are including a set of highlights!!!!

I don’t know quite what to say to you......
You must know that these prices are way too cheap
Your tint will be costing you a tenner a tube - so how come you are putting a toner on for free!!
I don’t know how long you are spending on each service, or the quality of your work, but a cut & Blowdry should be at least double what you are charging for someone with 18 years experience
Bite the bullet - get some nice price lists printed & start looking for some fresh clients - as your old ones won’t want to trump up the extra cost.
There really is no point in being a busy fool

Thank you for your reply. I think deep down I already knew this. I’ll sit down and type out a general text to send to everyone. I guess if anything it will weed out the bad apples.

I totally agree with @RED STAR.
Your business needs an image makeover. Please start charging what you’re really worth. You’ve got 18 yrs experience!

There will always be the odd cheeky devil who doesn’t care a jot about you but will try any tactic to grab a bargain, because that’s what drives them. You do not want these people as clients!

I’ve never understood the mentality that working mobile means you have to be cheap. I work from home and charge prices at the higher end, not bargain basement. For many ladies, a visit to the hair salon is an event to be looked forward to and enjoyed, but it’s surprising just how many women actively dislike visiting a hair salon and these women are your target market.

My clients are professional women who appreciate their 1:1 time with me. They dislike the normal salon atmosphere with loud crazy music and annoying chatter. They’re not being shampooed by a junior or having to wait whilst I’m seeing to someone else. They have my full attention for the duration of their appointment.

It’s a truly personal service and they’re willing to pay for that luxury.

There's a lady called maddi cook on Facebook who has some excellent free advice on pricing. Have a search x

I totally agree with @RED STAR.
Your business needs an image makeover. Please start charging what you’re really worth. You’ve got 18 yrs experience!

There will always be the odd cheeky devil who doesn’t care a jot about you but will try any tactic to grab a bargain, because that’s what drives them. You do not want these people as clients!

I’ve never understood the mentality that working mobile means you have to be cheap. I work from home and charge prices at the higher end, not bargain basement. For many ladies, a visit to the hair salon is an event to be looked forward to and enjoyed, but it’s surprising just how many women actively dislike visiting a hair salon and these women are your target market.

My clients are professional women who appreciate their 1:1 time with me. They dislike the normal salon atmosphere with loud crazy music and annoying chatter. They’re not being shampooed by a junior or having to wait whilst I’m seeing to someone else. They have my full attention for the duration of their appointment.

It’s a truly personal service and they’re willing to pay for that luxury.

Thank you for your reply. I completely agree with everything you are saying. I trained at a high end salon in a very wealthy area (not where I grew up). My eyes watered when I saw their prices!! I try to go to the clients house but a lot of the time they come to my house, especially if they have children, they bring them too as I have a big playroom they can all play in and saves me getting child care.

I know I have to take the leap it’s just a scary thought. I’m worried about offending anyone. I struggle with anxiety so this is really playing on me at the moment. I stay in a small town, I don’t think people would be willing to pay too much. I will try and research local prices and see what’s out there. I think I have a lot to think about.

Also I have the choice to give up hairdressing altogether and do admin work and buying for my husbands business. It would be a lot less stressful and I would be there more for the kids (9,7,2). But I have been in a salon since I was 15. Iv never done anything else.

There's a lady called maddi cook on Facebook who has some excellent free advice on pricing. Have a search x

Thank you Sarah. I don’t have Facebook but done a quick search unfortunately it’s a private page.

Wow that is unbelievably cheap, especially with 18 years experience!

I'm based in Hampshire and some of my mobile prices are:
Cut £15
Gents cut £10-12
CBD £28-33
T-sec foils, CBD £58
FH foils, CBD £78
Regrowth, CBD £48
Perm, CBD £65+
Now I'm also doing a £4 surcharge for all appointments for disposable PPE, extra faff, less clients a day etc. Everyone has been fine about it!

Please charge your worth. I find good prices where I don't rip myself off motivate me to take extra care and put my 100% into every client = better work from me that justifies the price charged. I haven't had a client yet say they're too high. In fact once I accidentally mis-quoted a client £48 instead of £58 (my brain was going fuzzy 😝) Realised my mistake later on but of course I was going to honour what I said. During the service I mentioned my mistake and that next time I did her hair it would be the higher, correct price. She was having none of it and insisted on paying the higher amount that day. 😀

Just over a year ago i decided i either pack my job in altogether or completely re evaluate my prices, if you dont charge enough to cover your products and time you will get despondent and you wont do the job as well as you could do, if you doing a 4/5 hr balayage you have to factor in the numerous different colours to melt and tone on top of decent bleach then there treatments and time etc, put it this way the cheaper you are the less likely you are going to get the results you want without buying those products unless your blondes want to be yellow etc,
A client could have a ok job done at a cheaper price and they might come back, spend the time and money on a beautiful job that costs more but is more cost effective in terms of longevity and they will always come back not to mention word or mouth which is always the best advert. Try and break down the prices and add them up, i always do a consultation on a new client that way there are no surprises you then then work out a cost, you will get a general idea of cost on the spot once you get in the swing of doing it this way. All yhe best x

Way to low!.... The rule I have gone by the last 24 years is...in Canadian $ ...$50/hour+chemical cost....so about £30/hr. For a full head of hi/lo lites,cut & blow dry takes me about 3 hrs. So that would be £35/hr. For a total of £105 .... plus don't forget travelling time/costs too if you think it's too much!

i

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back