Mobile hairdressers and ear piercing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busy-bee

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of the mobile hairdressers on here also do ear piercing?

Just wondering as I have just completed the Caflon course and am planning on going mobile in July?August.

I rang my council to find out how much the licence will be and have been told it can only be done from one premises, not different locations. So if I went to someone's house to pierce their ears I could be prosecuted.....Am waiting to hear back to see if my house can be classed as a premises from just the ear piercing.

Sort of defeats the object really.... yes I can come to your house to cut your hair but you need to come to mine to have your ears pierced??

I understand these things need to be regulated but I would only be doing lobes and have don't the correct course and would have liability insurance. Seems a bit strict.

Are all councils the same? Has anyone found a way round this at all?
Im gutted as I did this course so I could offer it as a service alongside the hair :sad: :grr:

Personally I dont understand why hairdressers would even want to offer ear piercings in this day when there are piercing studios doing it properly with needles, sterile conditions and the highest standards. Dont take it personally but I would leave the piercing pros to do their job and concentrate on hairdressing, just cant justify piercing peoples ears with guns with all the damage it can do.

I do ear piercing mobile and my council where fine with it had to pay £103.50 for license , and they told me there was another mobile ear piercer so they couldnt not let me do it, they come out and check your premises just to make sure you understand hyginene & disposal x

All sorted with the council now than you x

We don't have piercing studios where I live, it's either the gun method or you go to a tattoo studio. Not everyone is happy going into a tattoo shop, also not everyone is comfortable with needles lol

I don't know what you mean by the gun causing damage? If its used correctly and the correct aftercare is taken then there should not be any damage. Using needles have just as much chance of being used incorrectly.

And although I am mobile I have high standards of hygiene. I think there is a demand for both methods :)

All sorted with the council now than you x

We don't have piercing studios where I live, it's either the gun method or you go to a tattoo studio. Not everyone is happy going into a tattoo shop, also not everyone is comfortable with needles lol

I don't know what you mean by the gun causing damage? If its used correctly and the correct aftercare is taken then there should not be any damage. Using needles have just as much chance of being used incorrectly.

And although I am mobile I have high standards of hygiene. I think there is a demand for both methods :)

If the gun is used on the lobe, i believe that's fine but i know it can cause a lot of damage if use on any other parts of the ear or through cartilage

Ahh right, we were trained to pierce the lobe and the very edge of the ear (only if the shape of the ear allows it)
Piercing the cartilage with the gun would shatter it, I would not even consider piercing any other area :)

Sorry ha dont mean to cause offence, just cos I was really into piercing at one point and did a lot of research. Just cant find the good in having a blunt stud forced through your ear and the studs are too short, backs can harbour bacteria cos they cant be cleaned etc.. compared to a needle that causes a lot less trauma to surrounding tissue and quality jewellery that can be easily cleaned and is long enough to accomodate swelling. But if youre gonna do it at least you know better than to pierce cartilage.. :)

Just wondering how many of the mobile hairdressers on here also do ear piercing?

Just wondering as I have just completed the Caflon course and am planning on going mobile in July?August.

I rang my council to find out how much the licence will be and have been told it can only be done from one premises, not different locations. So if I went to someone's house to pierce their ears I could be prosecuted.....Am waiting to hear back to see if my house can be classed as a premises from just the ear piercing.

Sort of defeats the object really.... yes I can come to your house to cut your hair but you need to come to mine to have your ears pierced??

I understand these things need to be regulated but I would only be doing lobes and have don't the correct course and would have liability insurance. Seems a bit strict.

Im gutted as I did this course so I could offer it as a service alongside the hair :sad: :grr:

I do ear piercing also, They sorted me fine.. I think its good how you offer extra services:D, I also did the caflon course, I'v never had any problems with anyone taking reaction to using the gun etc, Think its alot cleaner and better than using a needle..

I send my luck,:biggrin:

I do ear piercing also, They sorted me fine.. I think its good how you offer extra services:D, I also did the caflon course, I'v never had any problems with anyone taking reaction to using the gun etc, Think its alot cleaner and better than using a needle..

I send my luck,:biggrin:

How do you ensure that the entire gun is sterilised? Aren't parts of it plastic so can't be autoclaved? What about micro droplets of blood that get onto it when you pierce the ear? Single use sterile needles are far cleaner.

I have been earpiercing with a gun for many years,all earrings are in sterile packs , gun is always wiped before and after with hygiene strong disinfectant wipes,piercing earrings are not blunt on end!! It's a clean safe and hygienic way to pierce ears with a gun :)..

I have been earpiercing with a gun for many years,all earrings are in sterile packs , gun is always wiped before and after with hygiene strong disinfectant wipes,piercing earrings are not blunt on end!! It's a clean safe and hygienic way to pierce ears with a gun :)..

Does disinfectant effectively kill all and any blood-borne pathogens? I'm sorry but I really don't agree that a gun is more sterile than a single packaged needle or that it's better than removing a tiny hole from the ear/wherever is being pierced to allow the jewellery to easily slide into the hole rather than basically just shoving the jewellery through.

Does disinfectant effectively kill all and any blood-borne pathogens? I'm sorry but I really don't agree that a gun is more sterile than a single packaged needle or that it's better than removing a tiny hole from the ear/wherever is being pierced to allow the jewellery to easily slide into the hole rather than basically just shoving the jewellery through.

I have to agree with you here after working in a hair salon also with a piercing room to it with an outstanding reputation, guns were always frowned upon, if you get a latex glove and pop a needle through it and then do it with the "earing" used with the gun.... You see the affect it will leave on your ear. Pretty amazing really.xx

Just a personal thing but I'd rather have my ears pierced with a gun, I have done 3 times with no problems. And my daughter. Also don't really know anyone who's had ears done by a needle(except my old mum in her punk days lol) each to their own I suppose xx

Just a personal thing but I'd rather have my ears pierced with a gun, I have done 3 times with no problems. And my daughter. Also don't really know anyone who's had ears done by a needle(except my old mum in her punk days lol) each to their own I suppose xx

It depends if you've had both, I had one with a gun and 5 others with a needle (just on ears, 13 others including body) and I'd never go near a gun.

As stated above, how can you clean it thoroughly? Giving it a wipe with an antibacterial wipe won't help!

The healing times were completely different between the 2. Gun took at least 6 weeks to be comfortable, needle 2 weeks, if that (on lobe).

What you said about not knowing anyone that has had war piercings with a needle is interesting as I'm the opposite lol must depend on the area.

I had my lobes pierced with a gun the first time when I was 16 took a while to heal and got given whatever cleansing solution the store sold. I remember it took quite a few weeks before they healed (and when I got them re-opened with a needle after letting them close up discovered that they were tilted down to the back). Every other since has been with a needle, jewellery that is easy to clean and cleaned with salt solution - had absolutely no problems with healing and the only problem I did have was my own fault.

Well i have been using gun on earpiercing for 10 years never had a prob my equipment it is always throughly cleaned,i agree needle better for large lobs,which i would always recommend,personally i think individuals have different levels of safety and hygiene,i take mine very seriously and thats why i have ran my own business successfully for 23 years!
One of my daughters had her middle part of her earpierced,with a needle and less than a week later,she almost ended in hospital as it was infected! this happened twice! so not all are on the ball! ( she did look after piercing,very well as it is always drummed in to do so) :)

It depends if you've had both, I had one with a gun and 5 others with a needle (just on ears, 13 others including body) and I'd never go near a gun.

As stated above, how can you clean it thoroughly? Giving it a wipe with an antibacterial wipe won't help!

The healing times were completely different between the 2. Gun took at least 6 weeks to be comfortable, needle 2 weeks, if that (on lobe).

What you said about not knowing anyone that has had war piercings with a needle is interesting as I'm the opposite lol must depend on the area.

Yea think it probably does depend on the area. Maybe if I didn't have a needle phobia I'd be different lol. Can't a gun be placed in something like barbicide?? Xxor a steamer? Xx

yes all my equipment i sterilise in a machine,and wipes hospital strenght,i like to wipe all my chairs with and work surfaces,before earpiercing!

i dont have a major problem with the gun for lobe piercing, but iv just had a few new piercings done and asked the girl about it (she has the best reputation locally and for miles around me!! shows you each needle coming out of the packet, sterile gloves, hospital like treatment room) her reasoning for not using the gun was that it pushes the relativley blunt earing through the lobe and can cause trauma as the earing has little dents (? the wee bits near the pointed end) and this can damage the tissues more than a nice straight needle and then placing the earing in. but each to their own!!
im sure if i done ear peircing there would be plenty of people looking for gun piercings while im there for hair. suppose as long as you are well trained and have good hygiene standards (hospital strength disinfectants etc). all the best :) xxx

Did you ever sort this out? I've also done the caflon course, and live in cheshite, in the Trafford borough, I'm a mobile hairdresser and never even thought there'd be a problem doing it mobile? Xx

Latest posts

Back