Mobile hairdressers taking baby with them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babychops

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I’m just wondering if there are any mobile hairdressers on here that take they’re children with them? I have 2 children and never took them to work with me as I didn’t want the stress and the worry. They are both in pre school and nursery now and we are going to start trying for baby number 3! I have just started doing hair on Saturdays as my mother and father in law can look after them Saturdays. But when the new baby arrives I will have to take him/she with me because they won’t be able to handle 3 and are not confident enough looking after a baby. I would only be working 2/3 hours on a Saturday morning. Does anyone have experience with this? I would do evenings but my husband works late most of the time! If not I will have to work Saturday afternoons when he is home or a Sunday morning! I’m not sure what to do but I want to continue working!

I’m not a hairdresser but if I was a client I wouldn’t want my hairdresser to come with their baby

I’m not a hairdresser but if I was a client I wouldn’t want my hairdresser to come with their baby

I think I would be able to take the baby to clients who have their children there. Otherwise I’ll have to do it late in the evening or Sundays x

Sorry but I don't think it would work taking a baby with you. The client wouldn't appreciate it and you are likely to have to keep stopping to attend to him/her.
If you can't reduce your hours then perhaps pay for a babysitter for the few hours it affects. It would only be until the child is older but long term you keep the clients.

As a client, I wouldn't want a baby there. I'd agree to it as I wouldn't feel able to outright say "no, I don't want your baby there", but I'd be annoyed that I'd been put in that position. Plus if I had my own children there, it would make the situation even worse! I'd then spend that time constantly watching my kids didn't poke your baby or were too loud round your baby if it was sleeping. I would not be able to relax at all. I'd also be frustrated if you had to stop doing my hair to feed/comfort/change your baby. What if your baby cried the whole time? There may be people that would love having your baby there, your baby may be beautifully behaved, it just wouldn't be something I'd be happy with.

Babies don’t play with other children until they’re toddlers and then they need watching like a hawk. So no, I wouldn’t take a baby along to an appointment as it would be very unprofessional. Your childcare issues are of no concern to your clients. They are paying for a service, not to be used as free childcare.

Hello everyone. Yes I agree it is a bit more difficult having a baby there when we're doing hair, colours n fools, cuts and blow waves n stuff. Having to stop periodically. But it can be done with a patient & positive attitude. I'd ask the clients between now & then and see who is open to the idea and who isn't. When asking, clearly offer the option of not having the baby there if they can book on any other day but the Saturday. I myself wouldn't start working on Sunday because I think you'll get run down. We have to have our time off, hopefully you have monday off too? Remember that if they love their hair- they'll love you & cope with whatever to get it. Have confidence in your ability to give them great hair and remember that they need you to get their hair looking great.. If they still get their great hair, they won't really care that much if you bring your baby They'll understand and help

If they still get their great hair, they won't really care that much if you bring your baby They'll understand and help

I can’t think of a single client of mine that you could apply that statement to. :eek::D

I think I would be able to take the baby to clients who have their children there. Otherwise I’ll have to do it late in the evening or Sundays x

I think that even if I had kids I still wouldn’t be happy with this. Babies require 1-2-1 attention pretty much all the time and I can’t see how you would concentrate fully with a baby with you and a clients kids aren’t going to look after it for you. I also don’t think I’d like to be asked if it was ok as I wouldn’t feel that I would be able to say no. Like you said maybe you would be better off doing the evening or Sundays :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, looks like I will have to work evenings or on Sundays, that’s the only time my husband will be home to help. We already pay for 1 child to go to nursery and wouldn’t be able to afford to pay for another! I only do 1 or 2 clients a week! Not much but it keeps me happy x

Last edited:
Hi geeks, I’m just wondering if there are any mobile hairdressers on here that take they’re children with them? I have 2 children and never took them to work with me as I didn’t want the stress and the worry. They are both in pre school and nursery now and we are going to start trying for baby number 3! I have just started doing hair on Saturdays as my mother and father in law can look after them Saturdays. But when the new baby arrives I will have to take him/she with me because they won’t be able to handle 3 and are not confident enough looking after a baby. I would only be working 2/3 hours on a Saturday morning. Does anyone have experience with this? I would do evenings but my husband works late most of the time! If not I will have to work Saturday afternoons when he is home or a Sunday morning! I’m not sure what to do but I want to continue working!

Don’t stress about it. Put yourself and baby first. We all try and make things work sometimes when in reality there is no need. I really thought when I started writing this that I’d be dead against this as I’m not exactly baby mad so I’ve surprised myself.

Good clients will see you when you are available. If you get them rebooking at every appointment you will get those days you can work filled up. The ones you can’t just forget about altogether unless it gets busier and you do want to try an hourly nursery or something (near me there’s one for £6 an hour and flexible on timings). If you are happy doing those 1-2 clients a week do that, it will steadily become more but if you say from the outset this is the day I work and never budge on it, they will never expect you to do any different.

Although taking a baby would be difficult for a client to relax and many would be against it, maybe there is that market there for a mum in a very similar position as you that desperately wants her hair done and can’t take her child to a salon or get someone to come to the house because of her own children that would be open to it. I’m sure some of your clients would love to see your baby anyway and it could become the norm. There was something in the news recently about a mum that was able to take her baby to the office so she could breastfeed them. Times are changing and we are in a position as self employed that we can do whatever we want and make our own rules.

The thing to be careful with is safety of your baby which I’m sure you will be. Infection control wise always important for you but you’d need to be careful with baby. I caught whooping cough off a client at xmas and have been off since. She gave it to her newborn grandson and he was in hospital and she still cane to share it. It’s an odd disease, by a point you are fine and then are desperate for air an hour later. She didn’t say a word til I finished that she had a 3 month cough. They bring nasties with them all the time even though I explain due to an illness I’m very susceptible to catching things and taking baby you’d need to do a risk assessment eg how would you keep a client with an ill child away from your baby if it happened in their own house and you’d already started working. Not letting them kiss and touch your baby etc as people do.

I work from home and when I started a few ladies brought babies and toddlers. It was horrifying the mischief even a baby that cannot move can cause. One lady jumped up before I could say stop with tint on her eyebrows to soothe a baby that had cried for a millisecond, and stopped before she got over there; got tint all over her face and arms thankfully not the baby. So whether you can let your baby cry for a minute while you do something that needs your full attention or will you be there the second she needs you even if you are gloves and elbow deep in peroxide...Another came for a simple patch test and wouldn’t put her toddler down and he grabbed my perm lotion and got it on him. She didn’t care but I spent the next 72hrs on high alert stressed out of my mind with worry that he’d have an allergy to it.

So this is your baby and although my hairdresser used to come to our house and have stuff all over the kitchen sides, with my little sisters at her feet in the way she never once had an accident in 15 years. I’m sure my mum wouldn’t have cared if she brought her own child with her while she worked.

Then there’s me and I can’t even work properly when someone brings a friend with them that is in another room as all I can think about is them and what they are up to so I can’t focus on the actual client - so that’s my comfort level, you just have to find yours and check with your insurers about it.

You never know, it could be your niche.

Last edited:
A sling will be your best friend...!

Personally, I wouldn't really mind if my hairdresser brought her little baby as I would be the one holding him/her for cuddles or a bottle whilst my hairdresser got on/set up/got to work.

God no sorrry i would hate if my hairdresser brought her baby. No matter how good she was at my hair it would be a deal breaker for me.

I wouldn’t mind if my hairdresser brought her baby with her. In fact I think it would be lovely.
I was back to work very soon after having my little girl and took her to work with me for the first six months. I only done the odd few clients each week but they loved her coming along.
It al depends on how friendly you are with your clients, I’ve had a lot of my clients for over 15 years we’re like a huge family. So it was a joy for them all to meet my little girl after going through my whole pregnancy with me!
Who doesn’t love babies!! [emoji176]

The problem is...the clients might say how lovely, lovely it is to see the baby.....but actually if you turn up with child, what else can they say.....they may just be very polite.....

I have 2 sons - both now grown up, I love MY babies, but to be honest when staff came in with their new babies to show them off at work, you just have to smile and be polite don't you....:rolleyes:

just saying..... !

The problem is...the clients might say how lovely, lovely it is to see the baby.....but actually if you turn up with child, what else can they say.....they may just be very polite.....

I have 2 sons - both now grown up, I love MY babies, but to be honest when staff came in with their new babies to show them off at work, you just have to smile and be polite don't you....:rolleyes:

just saying..... !

I don’t like babies at all but I would have to be polite and be like ‘he/she is lovely!’ If someone brought them in

Err..... NO! I certainly would not like it if a therapist turned up with a kid in tow (whatever the age). They certainly would not get a repeat booking.

I know quite a lot of people who don’t love babies, including me! I think it would be highly unprofessional and you have to remember that even though they’re long term clients, they still deserve the best treatment possible. I would absolutely hate it if anyone other than my close friends brought their baby into my house haha

...but I’d be polite if the hairdresser asked me of course, so I’d let them bring the baby that one time and then probably not have them do my hair again. There are plenty of hairdressers out there that don’t bring their children to appointments. It wouldn’t be acceptable in a salon so it’s not acceptable at home I think

Latest posts

Back