Mobile hairdressing advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francesXXX

Reaction score
I’ve been hairdressing for 16 years and the last 8 of those I’ve been mobile, I loved it for the first few years but my back is now really causing me problems to the point I’m in pain at work every day, from the amount of time I spend in the car (I have a tiny, very uncomfortable car which I can’t afford to change), from bending over people’s baths to wash hair and carrying my heavy equipment about, sometimes up and down staircases. I’m only 34 and I feel like my back is a mess already, I can’t imagine doing this for my entire career. I looked into renting a chair in a salon but none of my local ones are interested, I live in an area where they’re all big chains that just want employees to work 60 hour+ weeks (like I used to). I live in a flat which is definitely not suitable for clients to visit me, that’s if I could actually manage to get them to come to me anyway. I just think why would someone choose to do that when they could go to a nice salon. My long term dream is to have some sort of home salon, but at the moment I have nowhere near enough money for that kind of plan and my only option is to either go back to being a salon employee and give up my hopes, or continue with mobile and put up with the back pain. Sorry for the moan but I’m getting to the point where I’m considering giving up hairdressing, which would be so sad because I actually love it. Anyone been in this sort of situation before??

I’ve been hairdressing for 16 years and the last 8 of those I’ve been mobile, I loved it for the first few years but my back is now really causing me problems to the point I’m in pain at work every day, from the amount of time I spend in the car (I have a tiny, very uncomfortable car which I can’t afford to change), from bending over people’s baths to wash hair and carrying my heavy equipment about, sometimes up and down staircases. I’m only 34 and I feel like my back is a mess already, I can’t imagine doing this for my entire career. I looked into renting a chair in a salon but none of my local ones are interested, I live in an area where they’re all big chains that just want employees to work 60 hour+ weeks (like I used to). I live in a flat which is definitely not suitable for clients to visit me, that’s if I could actually manage to get them to come to me anyway. I just think why would someone choose to do that when they could go to a nice salon. My long term dream is to have some sort of home salon, but at the moment I have nowhere near enough money for that kind of plan and my only option is to either go back to being a salon employee and give up my hopes, or continue with mobile and put up with the back pain. Sorry for the moan but I’m getting to the point where I’m considering giving up hairdressing, which would be so sad because I actually love it. Anyone been in this sort of situation before??
Don't give up so soon, you have plenty of other options. Here's some options that I can think of :
* Travel light, this will take a bit more organisation at the end of every day, or at the start of every day, but you can prepare a case / box ready for your day, obviously you don't want to leave stuff at home, but you can leave it in the car and only take in what you need to the clients house. Consider buying small bottles of developer so you're not carrying god knows how many litre bottles of developers, keep the litres bottles at home and refill the smaller bottles when needed. Same for shampoos. At least this way you're cutting down the weight you're lugging up and down steps etc..
* For your back, I would consider seeing a chiropractor or a physiotherapist. It may seem pricey but you can't put a price on your health.
* Think about investing in a portable basin, they're a good investment and saves so much discomfort for you and the client, stops you having to struggle leaning over the bath/sink. (look on ebay)
* Accept the offer when your clients suggest they wash their colours off themselves.
* Don't carry unnecessary items, limit your styling tools based on the day ahead of you.
* Make provisions for changing your car in the future if you feel this will help.
*Keep looking for chair rental, don't give up. Good things come to those who wait. Even if worst case scenario yiu end up going back to a salon to work, don't give up on your hopes of owning your own! Again, make provisions to finance this in the future.
*Consider a buisness loan or look at local funding projects that support new and local businesses.
I hope this helps, good luck whichever path you decide to choose from here on out! Make it work for you!

Last edited:
Have you asked if you can rent a chair/room in a beauty salon or fitness centre or similar? That might be an option?

I have looked into it and it’s very expensive, it would cost more than half of my current income. And I’d have to expect to lose some clients as well, because of no longer being mobile. The rents everywhere wants are huge, even if I charge my clients a lot. I do live in London so this is quite a big factor in me not affording my own home/work space any time soon. But my family is here and so are all my clients!

Sorry to hear about how difficult you are finding work lately, it sucks!

My mums hairdresser did mine over her kitchen sink. I moaned as I have a hip problem and am tall so had to lean over awkwardly while she chatted to my mum for 20mins with shampoo on my head...haha (she doesn’t stop..sometimes it takes her 4hrs to just cut two people’s hair)...thinking on it she must have had to stop using baths for her back too. It’s the perfect height and if they are uncomfortable you can get them to sit/kneels on a chair as it’s only for seconds at a time, you can do a good scalp massage in the chair after. As long as you keep it short and sweet unlike mine was it should be bearable for both client and hairdresser.

You could even find a light fold up chair that suits your height and back and take it with you so you don’t have to rely on the unexpected when you get there.

Hope this is helpful!

Latest posts

Back