mobile/home v salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOE22

Reaction score
Hi again, just interested in what its like being a mobile or home nail tech? I work in a salon but am thinking of going alone and just want to know the pros and cons. Thanksx

Hi,
I have just jumped into the same boat as you. Leaving a salon, I have been there 1 year, but can't decide on a home salon or moibile.............I have the space.......look forward to the replies, good luck with whichever you choose. lotsa luv x

I suppose it is a purely personal thing but I tried mobile first and I hated it. I started in the winter though which didn't help. It always wet and cold and by the time I'd dragged all my stuff in and out I was exhausted. Some clients houses were so cold my fingers seized up.
I now work from my home salon. It is comfortable, peaceful, clients can't bring their pets and kids and everything is where I want it. I have lost a room as a result but it is only a small one:)

I suppose it is a purely personal thing but I tried mobile first and I hated it. I started in the winter though which didn't help. It always wet and cold and by the time I'd dragged all my stuff in and out I was exhausted. Some clients houses were so cold my fingers seized up.
I now work from my home salon. It is comfortable, peaceful, clients can't bring their pets and kids and everything is where I want it. I have lost a room as a result but it is only a small one:)

Whereas I'm mobile and I love it!!! Ok, it's not so much fun this time of year but I like being out and about, I like how I don't have to keep my own house tidy and I offer something that not many techs do (most of them in my area don't want to do mobile)......

It really is a personal thing as Adele said, and tbh you wont really know unless you try it..... It's another of those questions that if you ask 5 people you'll get 5 different opinions :)

I do both, I mobile during the day and work from home in the late afternoons and evenings. I must admit I prefer working from home as I can do more people, as sometimes I'm travelling half an hour to clients as I cover a large area.

mobile just wouldnt work for me...largely due to the fact i cant drive:lol:

but even if i did i would still choose home. its because i can control the environment better. lighting is very important to me as is having all my requirements at my fingertips. and i wouldnt want to be in a different environment all the time having to adjust.

i think if you are working full time from home its important to have a dedicated room.. important for you and the client as well as the rest of your family.

the biggest downside to working from home is the fact that sometimes i feel a bit stir crazy:irked: and just desperate to get out somewhere.

I started off mobile and hated it....all the extra time taken in setting up, packing away etc...then there was the homes with kids running round....husbands moaning and dogs yapping at my ankles....just too many interuptions...phone, doorbell, kids.....

I have a home salon now and everyone (apart from 3 clients, old age, single mum with no childcare and illness) comes to me and its much better IMO

I started off mobile, for me, it personally did not suit. It used to take me such a while to pack up, get organised, find out where I was going etc.

Final crunch came, I am allergic to dogs and cats, went to a house where they had both and ended up in a bad asthmatic state.

I set up from home just distributing leaflets on my estate, which I gained quite a few clients who then recommended me to friends etc. I am not saying home salon is better than mobile, but in my situation it worked far better for me personally.

Good luck with whichever you choose.:hug:

I do all three :lol:

I work in salon one day a week, do 5 clients mobile and the rest of my clients come to me at home.

I like the working environment of the salon, like the travelling on the mobile round because it gets me out, and the rest come to me because its convenient for them of where i live, ie by their offices or to get away from the kids/hubby.

I suppose it is preference but i like the versability of where i can do all three.

Ju x

There's pros and cons to all 3 tbh.
I think you have to try them all to see what suits you best mate x

Im a home based spray tan technician, I havent actualy had a client come yet but tommorow will be my first.

But i would prob prefer to be a home based technician rather than go to peoples homes , as you at home, comfortable no moving stuff about going from place to place ( i must sounds soo lazy lol ) Whatever is easyest for you or fits around your life better then go for it huni :green: xxx

I have a home based salon and tbh, I did it to work round the kids and hubbies shifts!
I never have 1 week the same, there is no routine in my life, hubby works different shifts every week, so even though I hate to say it, my world revolves around him! :eek:

I find it handy that when I havent got a client I can just do some cleaning or put a wash on etc.

My only downs are the if the client needs the loo, they have to go through my house and I have no window advertising, nothing to pull peeps off the pavement, cos there are no peeps to pull!! lol!! Other than those 2 small things I love it!:hug:

Thanks for the replies, i am going to take into account all these things and maybe give it a bash, as you say i will never know if i like it unless i try it. Ta. xx

I've just gone mobile from renting a room for a year and a half. So far I love it, I feel like I'm offering my clients a personal service

:hug:I agree with what has already been mentioned,the fact that I think its a personal preference and all of us need to try things out and find our own way. I worked in a salon and absolutely hated it!! so much so that I considered giving up beauty completely!! Until I sat down and realised that with a bit of work I could do this on my own. I now work mobile and love the fact that I am not always tied to timings like you are in a salon, and also you can give the clients a much more personal service. However it obviously does not make it the right choice for everyone so I think its trial and error.
good luck though hun in whatever you decide
xx

Latest posts

Back