Mobile/Home working techs: Do you have a separate business phone number?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I wondered what everyone does?

I've always used BT's CallSign which basically uses your home landline, but provides you with a different number and when this number is called, it gives a different ring so you know when it's a business call. (Some folk use it for teenagers friends so they needn't answer lol)

HOWEVER BT are quite expensive so on shopping around I find I can save £30 a month by switching to TalkTalk. But I will lose my CallSign feature.

So now I'm pondering on giving up the separate number and just using my home number plus my mobile. Or maybe just my mobile? It would save £360 a year. (On the downside, any marketing/listings have got my other number so I could lose business so don't know what to do)

What does everyone do?

Call BT and tell them you're leaving... phone up, sound blonde and tell them you're offski - what's the process...?
bet you they will come up with a retention offer :) I got my BT infinity upgraded to the highest package (unlimited broadband - ideal as hubby streams loads of sports and I have netflix and watch programs on there so we needed it) and it cost me... £1 less a month than I was paying ;) Basically saving me quite a lot a month from having the package I wanted :)

So if you call them and say you're leaving - have the numbers ready and say you're willing to do without the things that you currently have but they are just costing too much... you never know :)

Hi, it costs me £8.38 with Virgin to run my "work phone". Nothing very fancy as it's more for customers to ring me. I take it with me wherever I go and I know when it rings it's a customer not family or friend :wink2:

Call BT and tell them you're leaving... phone up, sound blonde and tell them you're offski - what's the process...?
bet you they will come up with a retention offer :) I got my BT infinity upgraded to the highest package (unlimited broadband - ideal as hubby streams loads of sports and I have netflix and watch programs on there so we needed it) and it cost me... £1 less a month than I was paying ;) Basically saving me quite a lot a month from having the package I wanted :)

So if you call them and say you're leaving - have the numbers ready and say you're willing to do without the things that you currently have but they are just costing too much... you never know :)

Good idea Tinky but I did that last year when I almost defected and got some discount. The Callsign only costs about £3 a month too so it isn't that bit that's expensive, mores the pity!

Do other mobiles/techs working from home run a separate line/phone? x

I have a separate mobile number on PAYG and don't need to top it up very often because clients tend to call me :) I top up a fiver every few months. I mostly use that to pick up voicemails! x

Good idea Tinky but I did that last year when I almost defected and got some discount. The Callsign only costs about £3 a month too so it isn't that bit that's expensive, mores the pity!

Do other mobiles/techs working from home run a separate line/phone? x

Doesn't matter that the callsign is the cheap bit :) you're willing to pay for the call sign... :) It's the rest of it that's over priced ;) barter with them :)

Personally though I never give out my home number or a landline number - I have a separate mobile (blackberry) for work - I can get my emails on it and when I'm not working I leave it at home or turn it off lol. I have it on pay as you go instead of a contract but use vodafone as I already have a signal booster for it that uses my internet - as mobile signal is VERY sketchy out here :(

I would def think twice about going with Talktalk. From my experience and others i know, they are not very good or helpful etc.

Hth :0)

When i first started out as mobile I just gave out my mobile number, so thats what ive stuck with as risk loosing clients contact if i change my number.

Hubby keeps telling me to have that sim as work only and get another phone for personal so i can turn it off at eves wkends etc but I just see it as added expense.

Im currently on t mobile sim only £10 a month and it rarely goes over this, thats for business and personal. Bargain!

Some days it annoys me that people call or txt late at night or early on a sunday but I choose to ignore it and call them back monday xx

I would def think twice about going with Talktalk. From my experience and others i know, they are not very good or helpful etc.

Hth :0)

Thanks hun. That's interesting. I knew someone about 6 years ago who had a bit of trouble with them but more recent enquiries have sounded more positive . . . . who are you guys with?

BT, for example, is costing us (for free calls and limited broadband around £53 per month. I think that's quite a lot. Do you?

I too have not had a good experience with Talk Talk, but that's another thread.

I just use my mobile, although I am thinking of getting a separate mobile for personal use.

Lilian

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I decided from the off that I needed the ability to turn the work phone off when I wasn't wanting to accept work calls.

I got a mobile contract and I can claim the whole cost of this off my accounts as it is a work phone and not used for personal use at all.

I do have a few cheeky mates who will ring my work phone, find it's turned off and then ring my personal number to book themselves in lol but they do accept it if I tell them no I won't book them in until tomorrow (or whenever my next working day is).

Talktalk certainly have plenty of faults - but they are no worse than other providers these days - the CEO is VERY set on improving the image and things are definitely changing for consumer customers :)

I left TT about 2 months ago and believe me I do NOT like them but don't rule them out on service problems a year ago or even 6 months back... network wise they are second to none right now - and service is improving markedly. Personally I am still with BT as due to employment matters I won't have TT in my house but that doesn't mean someone else should cut off their nose to spite their face :)

I have a work mobile. Its the first thing I bought when I set up. its a monthly contract, (30days notice) with o2 for £10.50 and I never go over this as it includes 200mins and unlimited text.
I like that when it rings, I know its work realted stuff and I turn it off at bedtime and off when im taking family time at the weekend.
xx

I have a payg mobile I don't top up much clients tend to ring me xxx

Latest posts

Back