Mobile kit insurance, advice needed please geeks!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline2013

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I am a mobile nail tech and have insurance through BABTAC, I m just wondering if any geeks have seperate insurance for their Kit?

Its worth so much and I keep forgetting to look into it! Not sure if its covered on home insurance but the policy seems to be for personal posessions and obviously I'm not doing nails as a hobby and I'm taking it out and about all over with me

help please :) x

Mine s covered on my liability ins. It was an option that you could choose and there was different values you could opt to cover it for. I'm with abt. I think it was another £48 on top of my pl and if I remember rightly that was for £3000 worth of cover

Mine s covered on my liability ins. It was an option that you could choose and there was different values you could opt to cover it for. I'm with abt. I think it was another £48 on top of my pl and if I remember rightly that was for £3000 worth of cover

thank you Claire x

I took out the extra cover with Salon Gold for my first year but have not bothered with it since because when I looked at what I have in my car at 1 time and what my excess is, it was more that any 1 piece of equipment I was carrying about.

So for me there is no point in taking out the extra equipment & product cover.

I too have the extra cover with abt, also covers my iPhone and iPad as well as all my equipment

brill thank you, Ive emailed BABTAC so will see :) x

I don't have this! Can't believe I've overlooked something so obvious losing that bag would put me out of business for sure!! Know what I'll be doing on Monday!

I would just advise you all to check how much the excess is and if that is per item or for the first x amount of the claim.

I don't have this! Can't believe I've overlooked something so obvious losing that bag would put me out of business for sure!! Know what I'll be doing on Monday!

I know Belle Vie!! its awful isn't it! hope you get sorted. I know I couldn't afford to replace my it so that would be it for me :( x

I don't think it's just for being pinched from your car, it also covers theft or damage whilst at home, what if you had a car accident and your kit got smashed up in the boot, I don't think my car insurance would cover it! If you start adding it all up it certainly mounts up if you needed to replace it!

Hi There!
Without looking at the cover you have it is very difficult to comment – however, I would be surprised if your stock and equipment is covered under a standard policy. I would definitely suggest you have it as your business relies on it!
As Mez said, at ABT we have an ‘extension’ to our policy called ‘All Risks’ cover, it is a form of contents that is perfect for most small salons / mobile therapists. To give you a price idea - cover on this package is limited to £1k, £3k and £5k and is starts from £41.80. For our main package, and a £1k extension it is still under £100 (NTM and £1k) so excellent value for money – but remember to look at your cover, don’t under-insure, check what is actually covered / excluded and look at excesses – all important factors. Hope this helps 

I too have the extra cover with abt, also covers my iPhone and iPad as well as all my equipment

Hi Mez - Thanks for the mention! If you PM me at some point I will send you a 20% offer code to use on your renewal!:D

I don't think it's just for being pinched from your car, it also covers theft or damage whilst at home, what if you had a car accident and your kit got smashed up in the boot, I don't think my car insurance would cover it! If you start adding it all up it certainly mounts up if you needed to replace it!

Exactly Claire, I was in an accident unfortunately nearly a whole year ago now and before I was a tech so no only to well about claiming unfortunately, and car insurance does not cover my kit x

Hi There!
Without looking at the cover you have it is very difficult to comment – however, I would be surprised if your stock and equipment is covered under a standard policy. I would definitely suggest you have it as your business relies on it!
As Mez said, at ABT we have an ‘extension’ to our policy called ‘All Risks’ cover, it is a form of contents that is perfect for most small salons / mobile therapists. To give you a price idea - cover on this package is limited to £1k, £3k and £5k and is starts from £41.80. For our main package, and a £1k extension it is still under £100 (NTM and £1k) so excellent value for money – but remember to look at your cover, don’t under-insure, check what is actually covered / excluded and look at excesses – all important factors. Hope this helps 

Hi David

Is this limited to ABT members as I am already with BABTAC? I have had a quote from Balens who have been recommended through BABTAC but would like a couple of quotes

Im with baggybear, the cost of insurance, and the excess, really is more a year than a days mobile equipment. Im still in my first year, and maybe next year if im busier and carrying more with me at one time it might be worth it - but for a new business, it definatly isnt!

Im with baggybear, the cost of insurance, and the excess, really is more a year than a days mobile equipment. Im still in my first year, and maybe next year if im busier and carrying more with me at one time it might be worth it - but for a new business, it definatly isnt!

my quote so far from Balens in for £62 a year for £3000 cover, I've sat down and gone through my kit totting up so I know what I'm insuring and there is £1300 minimum of stuff and I still have alot of Gelish colours etc to buy so am I missing something re insurance and not insuring it all? x

my quote so far from Balens in for £62 a year for £3000 cover, I've sat down and gone through my kit totting up so I know what I'm insuring and there is £1300 minimum of stuff and I still have alot of Gelish colours etc to buy so am I missing something re insurance and not insuring it all? x
Although the cover is just £62 for the year, what is the excess you have to pay in the event of a claim? Is that excess per item or per claim?

The cover I had was £250 excess per item. I only had 1 thing that I would be taking out & about that was worth more than the £250 I would have to pay as an excess - therefore it was not worth having the cover.

I also found that most of the time now I don't have too much equiment & products with me. In the beginning I would take everything with me but now I just take what I need (and I book extra time to pop home to swap equipment every few clients).

Hi there, like ABT and BABTAC we also have an extension for mobile kit. The sum insured is £5,000 and the excess is £50 any one claim. The price is £47.50 as an extension of our standard policy. Dependent upon your trade our prices start at £33.00 for a mobile nail and/or spray tan technician. You have to weigh up the total value of your equipment in comparison to the cost of the insurance and the excess applicable to gauge whether you feel it is worth insuring.

Hope this helps

Kevan

Hi,

It can be a pain trying to get it all sorted, the key thing is to make sure you are not underinsured and with a company that you can trust.

At ABT, we do try to keep it simple - you become a member with insurance (through Zurich) to a limit of £6m per claim. This covers you for your Public Liability, Product Liability and Med Mal (Treatment Risk) including PI (advice). That the basic package along with all the normal membership / magazine benefits.

So, for example purposes:
ABT member (Nails, Tan and Makeup) with insurance and subscription to Scratch would be: £49.85 p/y
ABT extension (Small Salon / Mobile Contents) at a level of £3,000 would be £63 p/y. Our excess on the 'All Risks Cover' is £100.

So the total amount payable for the year, insurance, membership and contents would be £112.85 (inc. of fees and IPT).

The above is for example purposes of course, but will hpefully help give you an idea of price!

Hope this helps.
Dave

Also, please take into account that, if you use your car, you need to have business insurance on your usual car insurance. if you don't and you have an accident going to and from work you will not be legally insured!

Latest posts

Back