Mobile manicures & pedicures to nursing homes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJonoah

Reaction score
I would like to take my mani/pedi's to nursing homes and assisted Living centers. Do anyone of you currently do this? I have questions about who to contact at the home, how much to charge for a 30 min basic mani/pedi and if these clients have access to funds in order to pay for these services. Also what concerns should I have about working on the elderly in this environment? Seems most would be under doctors/RN supervision and may need doctors consent.
I have little experience in visiting nursing homes and don't quite understand the administrative aspects governing the tenants. My heart is to bring a service that will make them feel great and as a bonus offer some relational uplift on a weekly basis! Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ive just started doing this. I currently go to a home for mentally disabled adults every other week and do manicure and nail art. This is paid for by the patient out of her own money (dont know where her money comes from tho, I guess she must get some kind of allowance from the government). Her carers say it relaxes her for the whole day and gives her something to look forward to. She also has tendancy to pick and bite her hands and since Ive been doing her nails she has stopped biting and picking at herself. Ive also sent leaflets to all the old peoples homes offering nail treatments and did my first old lady yesterday. She normally has a chiropodist come every six weeks to cut her toe nails and she gets charged £25 just for less than 10 minutes to have toe nails cut, so when I turned up and soaked her feet, did hard skin, cuticles etc etc etc she was over the moon and has booked me for regular treatments. This again was paid for out of her own money. She has also recommended me to all the other people in the home, so fingers crossed. Its really rewarding doing people like this as they really seem to appreciate it even more so.
Give it a go, send leaflets or phone the homes and speak to the care manager.
x

Residents of nursing homes are usually given some pocket money each week and are able to access what they need from senior staff. I think its a good idea for you but you have to be aware of your contra-indications and medications they may be taking. If they have Alzhiemers they can be very difficult to manage on your own if you are not experienced, most however will be on medication.
Ask to speak to the manager of the home and see what their policy is. Hairdressers usually visit and so do Podiatrists, I would even go as far as to visit them, with a letter and hand it in personally and ask for written conformation. The laws have been tightened to protect the elderley(rightly so too) recently, so make sure you have your paperwork bang up to date in case anything happens.

Latest posts

Back