Mobile nails/home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ybo

Reaction score
Fairly new to all of this, and spending some time looking through threads my head is in a whirr - so I'm looking to hear your thoughts on becoming a mobile nail tech or have a salon-from-home type idea.

If anyone has done either before I'd love to hear your advice on how you started up, what you would recommend etc. In particular with mobile businesses I'm unsure on if I need to take a fold-able table/chairs (probably a silly question), how many gel polishes etc.

Also really keen to hear about gel polish recommendations - I have been looking at Naio Nails and TGB in particular.

Any advice welcome, thanks!

If you have the space to work from home I'd definitely recommend that over going mobile. I offered both when I originally started many years ago but soon regretted it as it was such a pain lugging all the equipment around. (You'd be amazed how many people don't have a suitable table or chairs for you to work at!). You also have to factor in travelling. If you're working from home, you can literally start your next client as soon as the first one leaves, so potentially can earn far more in a day.
Also, going to other people's houses you have no control over unruly children or pets! In your own home you can set your own rules!

If it's just nails you're doing you don't even need a very large room to do it in, but if you do have somewhere you can dedicate just to your business, that would be perfect. You want it to look as professional as possible, and not just a part of your home.

I have never used any Naio Nails products, so can't comment, but they seem to be popular.

I have been using TGB alongside INK London (and previously Cuccio), but to be honest I have my concerns about TGB at the moment so have stopped buying it. I haven't experienced any problems myself, but I have read about quite a lot of other nail techs who have had problems and this is putting me off using it. The best advice I would give you regarding choosing a brand is to look for a brand that is manufactured in the EU/USA where they have to follow strict guidelines about what chemicals and levels can be used safely. Unfortunately China do not have to follow these same strict guidelines and they often produce cheaper products in hundreds of colours and finishes, that may well last ages, that this is often because they are using cheap ingredients and high levels of the chemicals that might make them last well, but also cause really nasty allergies. Also look for a brand that is happy to answer any questions you have, offer an education programme and also sell a specific lamp that has been tested to cure their products.

I currently work as a mobile tech simply because of current living arrangements and can't wait until I can be home salon-based. I have had so much damage done to equipment by clients' kids/pets and, because I can't dictate who is/isn't in their house, the only thing you can do is ask them to work with you to reduce disruptions to your service. I've lost clients because of this (not ideal when you live in a small area). Also, the more kit you have, the more there is to drag around with you. I completely agree with what Beautiful-you said about chairs and tables - I had a client who had nothing in her house (including electricity) when I turned up to the appointment (even asking that/if they have suitable seating doesn't always mean that they do/will).
Regarding Naio/TGB, I only use hard gel and acrylic so can't comment but have seen other threads on here about Naio so may be worth having a look. I know TGB is popular in my area at the moment but my local techs also seem to go through phases! :)

Good luck - I hope you find the ideal working arrangement for you!

I offer both mobile and in-home salon. Most come to my home however I request that my mobile visits include 3 or more women to make my visit worthwhile. It's so much fun doing these "nail parties"! The girls sit around the kitchen table eating and chatting while I do my work one at a time in silence

If you have the space to work from home I'd definitely recommend that over going mobile. I offered both when I originally started many years ago but soon regretted it as it was such a pain lugging all the equipment around. (You'd be amazed how many people don't have a suitable table or chairs for you to work at!). You also have to factor in travelling. If you're working from home, you can literally start your next client as soon as the first one leaves, so potentially can earn far more in a day.
Also, going to other people's houses you have no control over unruly children or pets! In your own home you can set your own rules!

If it's just nails you're doing you don't even need a very large room to do it in, but if you do have somewhere you can dedicate just to your business, that would be perfect. You want it to look as professional as possible, and not just a part of your home.

I have never used any Naio Nails products, so can't comment, but they seem to be popular.

I have been using TGB alongside INK London (and previously Cuccio), but to be honest I have my concerns about TGB at the moment so have stopped buying it. I haven't experienced any problems myself, but I have read about quite a lot of other nail techs who have had problems and this is putting me off using it. The best advice I would give you regarding choosing a brand is to look for a brand that is manufactured in the EU/USA where they have to follow strict guidelines about what chemicals and levels can be used safely. Unfortunately China do not have to follow these same strict guidelines and they often produce cheaper products in hundreds of colours and finishes, that may well last ages, that this is often because they are using cheap ingredients and high levels of the chemicals that might make them last well, but also cause really nasty allergies. Also look for a brand that is happy to answer any questions you have, offer an education programme and also sell a specific lamp that has been tested to cure their products.
I currently work as a mobile tech simply because of current living arrangements and can't wait until I can be home salon-based. I have had so much damage done to equipment by clients' kids/pets and, because I can't dictate who is/isn't in their house, the only thing you can do is ask them to work with you to reduce disruptions to your service. I've lost clients because of this (not ideal when you live in a small area). Also, the more kit you have, the more there is to drag around with you. I completely agree with what Beautiful-you said about chairs and tables - I had a client who had nothing in her house (including electricity) when I turned up to the appointment (even asking that/if they have suitable seating doesn't always mean that they do/will).
Regarding Naio/TGB, I only use hard gel and acrylic so can't comment but have seen other threads on here about Naio so may be worth having a look. I know TGB is popular in my area at the moment but my local techs also seem to go through phases! :)

Good luck - I hope you find the ideal working arrangement for you!
I offer both mobile and in-home salon. Most come to my home however I request that my mobile visits include 3 or more women to make my visit worthwhile. It's so much fun doing these "nail parties"! The girls sit around the kitchen table eating and chatting while I do my work one at a time in silence

I'm still looking into being mobile at first, purely because I am yet to have a designated area where I can do nails at home. (Two bed house - Front door into a tiny hallway, leading to living room and kitchen diner) so there isn't really much space.

With looking into the mobile aspect - can anyone recommend mobile tables they have used so I can look at those - I have looked at the thread I'm just hoping to hear some more personal experiences.

With the home aspect - has anyone got recommendations of a good table with a dust extractor in? There may be enough room to designate a small area in my living room or kitchen diner but I'm not sure how professional that might look?

Thanks so much for your replies
!

This sort of mobile manicure desk is readily available on EBay. The storage bag is really handy and you can even fit a few other lightweight bits in it if you need to.
IMG_3487.jpg

The dust extractors that come integrated into manicure desks aren't very good to be honest. A good quality extractor that captures airborne dust as well as the heavier dust particles that we see and also reduces vapours is quite expensive, so if you can't afford one straight away you'd still be better off buying a desk that you like and that fits in with the space you have and buy a separate dust extractor if it's purely to capture the heavy dust because you'll be paying a lot more for a specific manicure desk with integrated extractor that won't do any more than that.

This sort of mobile manicure desk is readily available on EBay. The storage bag is really handy and you can even fit a few other lightweight bits in it if you need to. View attachment 209370

I have this exact one in my home beauty room. It's perfect.
Still going strong and unmarked 5 years on [emoji4]

This sort of mobile manicure desk is readily available on EBay. The storage bag is really handy and you can even fit a few other lightweight bits in it if you need to. View attachment 209370
The dust extractors that come integrated into manicure desks aren't very good to be honest. A good quality extractor that captures airborne dust as well as the heavier dust particles that we see and also reduces vapours is quite expensive, so if you can't afford one straight away you'd still be better off buying a desk that you like and that fits in with the space you have and buy a separate dust extractor if it's purely to capture the heavy dust because you'll be paying a lot more for a specific manicure desk with integrated extractor that won't do any more than that.

Thank you so much, I had looked at the independent extractors but they look painfully expensive at the minute and I don't think its wise throwing that much money into one unless I really take off. I had seen these on eBay but wasn't sure although I do like the prospect of being able to fold it away whilst not in use at home, and if taken to potential clients houses its much more appropriate than sitting at someones kitchen table or floor etc if they dont have a suitable place.

This is so helpful, it's nice to see what its like from someones experience with it. What sort of chairs do you use with this (might be an odd question haha). Originally I was worrying we might have to sit at the kitchen table, where its there for decoration mostly it wouldn't be the most hygienic of places.

Is there anything else you can advise before I delve into spending, like a good amount of gel colours? Best cleansing equipment? Thanks!

I have a home salon.
Be strict about hours and drop ins.
I am by appointment only.
I don't advertise my exact address either. So new clients will only get my address 24hrs before their appt once they have replied to their reminder.
People can be annoying turning up 10 mind early or 10mins late..... give or take.
I set a 'be prompt, not early/ not late' rule from the get go. People can take advantage because after all you are just at home so you can accommodate.... well that can be their mindset.
Someone turned up 15 mins early once so I seated them in the salon and said I'll be back. I then came back at the time they booked.... out of principal. They never turned up that early again.
I have a salon located in the back of my house and it has a separate entrance.
I also text clients if its 10 mins past their allocated time.
I just ask if they remembered their appt was at XX time? It's a polite way if letting them know you are watching the clock.
If you get repeat offenders sometimes a simple sms the day before stating 'can you pls be promptly on time for your appt tomorrow as I have a busy day is also a polite way of saying BE ON TIME!.
I found it was best to set these guidelines from the get go so clients realise your rules early on.

I have a home salon.
Be strict about hours and drop ins.
I am by appointment only.
I don't advertise my exact address either. So new clients will only get my address 24hrs before their appt once they have replied to their reminder.
People can be annoying turning up 10 mind early or 10mins late..... give or take.
I set a 'be prompt, not early/ not late' rule from the get go. People can take advantage because after all you are just at home so you can accommodate.... well that can be their mindset.
Someone turned up 15 mins early once so I seated them in the salon and said I'll be back. I then came back at the time they booked.... out of principal. They never turned up that early again.
I have a salon located in the back of my house and it has a separate entrance.
I also text clients if its 10 mins past their allocated time.
I just ask if they remembered their appt was at XX time? It's a polite way if letting them know you are watching the clock.
If you get repeat offenders sometimes a simple sms the day before stating 'can you pls be promptly on time for your appt tomorrow as I have a busy day is also a polite way of saying BE ON TIME!.
I found it was best to set these guidelines from the get go so clients realise your rules early on.

I was going to be strict with appointments but thankfully I have a young baby to look after and would have to be strict anyway around her routine and her dad being at work, so my appointments would be limited.

Regarding the bookings etc. I have seen that fresha/schedul thing, is this any good if anyone uses it?

A load of my products arrived today, I have opted to try premier gel despite the recent chaos surrounding them to see how they last and apply, but this will mostly be on myself and family first. Likewise I bought a few Bisou nail colours for the same reasons, if neither work fully for me I will be moving to IKON.iQ on multiple reccomendations, figured just starting out buying a few wouldn't break the bank.

I also bought one of those mobile tables, thanks for all the advice!

I use Shedul and I love it.
I have heard that only those who signed up early get it all for free now, some of the features cost now but I am not sure how much as I have never had to pay.
Good luck with your salon :)

I use Shedul and I love it.
I have heard that only those who signed up early get it all for free now, some of the features cost now but I am not sure how much as I have never had to pay.
Good luck with your salon :)

How is it for setting up? I haven't decided 100% on a business name or set one up properly because that's quite daunting and I was hoping to offer my services on more of a model basis at reduced rates to build confidence, as explained its exclusively family/close friends at the minute. Brilliant but difficult to get honest feedback and bring in new clients hahaha, thank you!:)

It is so easy to set up and use.
I wanted something that was very user friendly and found Shedul to be just that.
I only have a handful of clients as I work full time elsewhere and only do nails part time, every other Saturday.
The fact it sends a personalised sms reminder 24 hours prior to bookings which asks my clients to confirm their appt is such a handy thing. My clients know if they don't confirm, then I don't hold their appt for them.
I have tweaked Shedul to use it as a diary for my own appointments. That way I also get a sms reminder 24 hours prior for my personal appointments as well.

It is so easy to set up and use.
I wanted something that was very user friendly and found Shedul to be just that.
I only have a handful of clients as I work full time elsewhere and only do nails part time, every other Saturday.
The fact it sends a personalised sms reminder 24 hours prior to bookings which asks my clients to confirm their appt is such a handy thing. My clients know if they don't confirm, then I don't hold their appt for them.
I have tweaked Shedul to use it as a diary for my own appointments. That way I also get a sms reminder 24 hours prior for my personal appointments as well.

This is so helpful! It would be ideal for me especially whilst I'm just starting off, especially Re the reminders as I'm so forgetful. Last question I promise, do you think its wise me setting up schedul now even though I haven't decided on a business name yet (hoping it can be changed later) or should I make my mind up first? Thanks so much, sorry for bugging

When I left my NHS job about 10 years ago and went back into Beauty I converted one of my bedrooms at home. I'm still working from it lol.... Working from home has its advantages and disadvantages. You can roll out of bed and into work, your costs are reduced, you don't have to travel to work (Unless mobile). But you REALLY have to be self-disciplined with regards cleaning, insurance, CPD, others that live there, making time for admin (accounts), marketing, promotions and advertising. General business skills. Also being VERY professional with clients. Some clients may think that because you work from home they can just not bother to turn up for appts etc. Let them know you're serious by having a zero-tolerance policy on time wasters. A text reminder on the day always helps. If they really can't come it gives them an opportunity to say and you may be able to fill it. Some will think that you just sit around all day waiting for them to call you. Let them know your not! You're busy. Even if your not. It creates urgency and makes them think you're popular. Get as much set up as possible. Facebook pages, instagrams and post your pics with hashtags will attract clients from your friends as well. Run promotions and packages. I also have a 72 hour policy with nails. If it comes off after 72 hours it's probably the client. If before its probably you. You haven't dehydrated and primed properly. Or there may be a product breakdown. Do small things FREE that only cost you pence. They love FREE!

This is so helpful! It would be ideal for me especially whilst I'm just starting off, especially Re the reminders as I'm so forgetful. Last question I promise, do you think its wise me setting up schedul now even though I haven't decided on a business name yet (hoping it can be changed later) or should I make my mind up first? Thanks so much, sorry for bugging
Ask any questions, I seriously don't mind. I remember what it was like when I just started out and there's no shame chatting to others.
Yes you could set it up now. You can edit the name.
You will need an email address but it does not matter what name that is in. Everything emailed out is send via Shedul so it will present with the name you have chosen for your business. Perhaps for now you could just use your name & the word 'nails' (if you are doing other services use your name and the word 'beauty")

It appears a lot of the features have now been changed. I don't like the changes, they are not suited to my needs.

Customer service is not responding to my emails either. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE

Latest posts

Back