Mobile services or working in a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otilia3107

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to this forum. First of all just a little bit of background about myself. I am a certified beautician with not much of an experience however I am still practicing to get better at it and I also have a certificate in lash extensions. I am also a single mother of a beautiful 1 year old baby girl. At the moment I am in Europe however I am a Canadian resident and I will need to go back there.
Now the question is... when I go back should I start working in a salon or work as a mobile beautician?
I spoke to a friend and she told me that beauticians get paid minimum wage+tips. Minimum wage in Canada is $15 per hour. I don't see how I can survive with my 1 year old daughter earning that little. Considering that rent in a decent area is $1500+ a month.
She also told me that most of the salons requires you to work until 7-8pm and in the weekends. This means my baby will have to be in someone else care most of the days.
I also thought of the option of working as a mobile beautician or renting a space. The fact that I can setup my own hours it's amazing as I can spend more time with my child. However I'm not sure how busy I will be and If I can actually make enough money to support me and my child. I am also afraid not to mess up because I have no salon experience.
Any advice or tips on what I should do? Or any other single moms who can give me some tips?
Thank you all :)

Latest posts

Back