Mobile spray tanning- tips please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickieg29

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any tips to try when spray tanning in someone elses house? Even with insurance to cover my back, i would hate to get any tan anyway!
My friend suggested the big fabric sheets you put down on the floor when you're painting, i've also seen a protective floor covering mat from salons direct.
just wondered if anybody had any savvy-saver ideas! :) thanks!

Hi, I use 2 towels (one inside my spray booth and one outside at the front) when tanning and i find that works for me, when I first started tanning mobile I was so nervous that it was going to go everywere. xx

I will only EVER spray tan clients on floor surfaces that can be moped as soon as ive left their house. This way if tan drips, the gun over sprays or the client gets tan on their own floor when they step out of the tent, your covered. I always advise clients to mop over the whole floor after ive left. That way you've covered yourself. I would never ever tan in a room with carpet. Always clarify this with the client when they book the appointment with you. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I also find that a couple of towels do the trick, One inside the tent and one outside, a nice big bathsheet size towels, folded in half for inside the tent. I always stand my machine inside the tent and the gun stands by it's side when I am doing the barrier cream. When decanting the product from container to the cup of the gun, I do it over the towel. I usually kneel down and do it inside the tent before the client steps in. Any spills then are caught by the towel. If you spill turn the towel over and it still looks clean and fresh for the client to step on to. WhenI finish if I need to clean the gun or cup I ask to do it over the kitchen sink or in the bathroom making sure I leave the areas I worked in the way they were before I came, no drips or brown streaks. You could buy some sticky feet if you want and have the client take them off on the towel outside the tent minimising the chance of brown footprints but I have never had that problem and I have been Spray Tanning Mobile for 6 years. HTHs

Hi, Im sure ive read that someone put down a shower curtain under the tent/the area tanning, as its waterproof and washable.x

I will only EVER spray tan clients on floor surfaces that can be moped as soon as ive left their house. This way if tan drips, the gun over sprays or the client gets tan on their own floor when they step out of the tent, your covered. I always advise clients to mop over the whole floor after ive left. That way you've covered yourself. I would never ever tan in a room with carpet. Always clarify this with the client when they book the appointment with you. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Do you find you loose some clients by saying this? Or do you spray in a carpeted room if they insist it's fine? Just wondering because I have carpet everywhere in my house except kitchen and bathroom as the tent would not fit in either of those!!

I have a black towel inside the tent and also a black towel outside. I also have a small towel (tea towel size) which I put on the kitchen side / table / wherever I stand my wipes, spare cups & solution (if doing a party), couch roll etc. I do carry a plastic sheet in the tent bag but have not used it yet. I guess I'm keeping that for if someone has White carpets or something!!! X

I lost one potential client by refusing to do it in carpeted room - i'd rather lose her than have her accuse me of wrecking her carpet! I've started laying down a white (i know!!!) shower curtain down to lay me tent on top. i do this to prove there is no mess - its quite satisfying to say "look theres no mess" as you fold up the curtain. As the curtain is bigger than the tent base, i have it laying about 10 inches in front of the tent to catch any spills or drips. Think i paid about £4 in Primark for the curtain.:big grin:

I also use an extractor fan x

thankyou everyone! its always good to have a bit of advise from people who kno what they're talking about!xx

Hi vicki you will be fine don't worry ur towel inside and outside tent and if extra cautious ground sheet, I wear a buffing glove over my disposable one and rest the gun cup on my hand to keep level and it actually catches most drips xxx good luck

I also find that a couple of towels do the trick, One inside the tent and one outside, a nice big bathsheet size towels, folded in half for inside the tent. I always stand my machine inside the tent and the gun stands by it's side when I am doing the barrier cream. When decanting the product from container to the cup of the gun, I do it over the towel. I usually kneel down and do it inside the tent before the client steps in. Any spills then are caught by the towel. If you spill turn the towel over and it still looks clean and fresh for the client to step on to. WhenI finish if I need to clean the gun or cup I ask to do it over the kitchen sink or in the bathroom making sure I leave the areas I worked in the way they were before I came, no drips or brown streaks. You could buy some sticky feet if you want and have the client take them off on the towel outside the tent minimising the chance of brown footprints but I have never had that problem and I have been Spray Tanning Mobile for 6 years. HTHs

Glad im thinking along the right lines using 2 towels, including one outside the tent!
What do you do if you have 2 clients in a row regarding the towels? do you use fresh towels for each client? What about if it 2 people in same house? And what about if its one app straight after an another? with a short journey in between? Not sure I can lug 4 or 6 towels along with me too!
xx

In the same house I just turn the towel in the tent over for the next person, then if there's another person refold it the opposite way etc xx

Hi vicki you will be fine don't worry ur towel inside and outside tent and if extra cautious ground sheet, I wear a buffing glove over my disposable one and rest the gun cup on my hand to keep level and it actually catches most drips xxx good luck

the buffing gloves a good idea! thankyou :) i'm really looking forward to getting started and practicing on my poor unsuspecting friends and family haha! thanks again xx

I bought a clearish plastic shower curtain for the floor for when I do pedis from Tesco for only £1.50 last week. Bargain.

In the same house same towel as they have sticky feet on :

Never been that lucky going straight to other client:cool: that would be fab!!! But I would change towels in that instance x

Yes I also usually just fold the towel over for the next one in the same household but I must admit I do carry a few spares in the car for follow on clients. Or if the customers aren't keen on sharing the same towel, the sticky feet are a good idea in these situations too. I usually encourage my clients to wipe any excess barrier cream off on the towel before tanning. It saves them rubbing it off on their hands without realising ( as you do when applying hand cream) So a fresh towel or same towel turned over is really the only way for me.
The white shower curtain is a great idea to show how little mess there is. I have some lovely Aqua colored microfiber towels, rubbish for the bath as they seem to repel water but look fab in the tent and so many clients offer the use of one of their own old towels because they think I will ruin my lovely light colored towels. Always surprised at how clean they still are when the tan is finished

I do get to wash a lot of towels.LOL

I use two black towels, one inside the tent and one in front. Never had any overspray or mess before, even when unpacking solution (touchwood!!). When i trained, the trainer used a black groundsheet/waterproof sheet but i dont think its necessary usually. Xx

I would definitely say have a dark towel at the entrance to your tent. The biggest problem when spraying in a tent on carpeted floor is when you come to spray the arms. There is a tendency (even though you may not notice it) to spray the arms slightly out of the tent. The way to get round this is to make sure YOU have one foot in the tent yourself. This way you will keep your client further back into the tent when spraying them. It's all about positioning inside the tent for arms. Get them to stand in the corners.

Liz

Can I ask what else you use the buffing mitt for. My trainer didn't use one. Is it to dab off any overspray from the client? Thanks Charlie

Buffing mitts are generally for any spots where u may have oversprayed, where the product has dripped, smudged, etc. Just helps to blend x

Buffing mitts are generally for any spots where u may have oversprayed, where the product has dripped, smudged, etc. Just helps to blend x

I wasn't trained to 'buff' & to be honest when I've tried it due to overspray its made a right pigs ear of it! I'd rather leave it & tell client it will be fine once showered off x

Latest posts

Back